I was wondering if anyone's Z10 accidentally called any emergency numbers in while the phone was in your pocket. I received warning letters from the cops telling me I dialled them five times for no good reason with times and dates recorded and I'm starting to wonder if anyone has experienced this sort of pocket dial while the phone is on lock mode and in your pocket.

Posted via Crack-friggin-berry Z10
    12-17-13 07:29 AM
    My phone pocket dials all the time. I have caused a good deal of trouble with it as well. Something of which I am not proud and still paying an emotional toll for. However, I have never had it dial an emergency number. It usually dials the last number or two I have called, or the contact number of someone I have open on BBM (if I don't close out of the convo before locking)

Very disconcerting. Pocket dialing cost me a good friend. Long story. Don't know why my phone does it tho.
    Also takes pictures whenever I put the phone down on a hard surface. All the time. Camera on and snapping pics.
    12-17-13 08:06 AM
    Mine never has. I used to work at a sheriff's office and was amazed at how many people pocket dial 911. I mean unless it's in your speed dial or last number dialed it's 4 buttons to push, I don't get it.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    12-17-13 08:38 AM
    Mine has a higher tendency to pocket dial when it's hot and I'm sweating.. guess it increases the friction between my pants and the phone.

But this is easily solved by disabling gestures to unlock

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:59 AM
    A case with a cover might avoid that???? I guess a Password would not help if you allow the phone to timeout itself, as depending on your Timeout setting, it could dial for up to half and hour or so???
    12-17-13 09:38 AM
    Well, to answer the question of how one pocket dials, or rather how I suspect my phone pocket dialled, when the phone is locked, and in your pocket, unwanted motion will be detected as a swipe and the numeric pad with the unlock prompt will show up. The problem is, on that screen, there is an emergency call button which at this stage, would not be all that impossible to dial by accident. I know it sounds unlikely but it happens more times than people care to mention. I do also think that it is silly that this happens

12-17-13 09:47 AM
    Well, to answer the question of how one pocket dials, or rather how I suspect my phone pocket dialled, when the phone is locked, and in your pocket, unwanted motion will be detected as a swipe and the numeric pad with the unlock prompt will show up. The problem is, on that screen, there is an emergency call button which at this stage, would not be all that impossible to dial by accident. I know it sounds unlikely but it happens more times than people care to mention. I do also think that it is silly that this happens

So your Z has a button with 110/112 programmed to it? Would you mind sharing a screen shot.

12-17-13 09:51 AM
    Go to display settings and turn off swipe to wake. Then lock your phone via the top lock key always before putting the phone in your pocket again and your screen will not respond until you press the lock key again to unlock the phone. This should stop most pocket redialling. Or get a case for your phone.

Whoosh! Z10 in action!
    12-17-13 09:52 AM
    Go to display settings and turn off swipe to open. Then lock your phone via the top lock key always before putting the phone in your pocket again and your screen will not respond until you press the lock key again to unlock the phone. This should stop most pocket redialling. Or get a case for your phone.

Whoosh! Z10 in action!
    Yeah I just did that... and I think I'll go get the z10 flip case soon... it's extremely sad that such a great swipe gesture can cause such a problem on the lock screen. But i guess it's better to be safe than arrested for nuisance calls

12-17-13 09:55 AM
    So your Z has a button with 110/112 programmed to it? Would you mind sharing a screen shot.

Well, it's the emergency call button on the top right corner when you swipe up and transit to the type-in-your-password-and-unlock page. For my country the number dials 999

12-17-13 10:00 AM
    Well, it's the emergency call button on the top right corner when you swipe up and transit to the type-in-your-password-and-unlock page. For my country the number dials 999

Oh ok, I totally forgot about that button. My pw is set to the longest time available so I don't use it much since I'm on my phone constantly. I thought you were in Germany looking at your screen name.

12-17-13 10:22 AM
    your pants are too sweaty and your legs/but cheek movement causes it to swipe up and trigger the password screen which has the mergency dial button.

cops showed up at my place after a bike ride in the middle of the night to see if i was okay since they didnt hear any response after an emergency dial. I was taking out the trash while in my boxers.

the solution is to make sure that the screen is facing away your thigh or **** cheek while in your pocket.
    12-17-13 10:31 AM
    Oh ok, I totally forgot about that button. My pw is set to the longest time available so I don't use it much since I'm on my phone constantly. I thought you were in Germany looking at your screen name.

Yes that screen can be a pain to navigate when you use it often! I was born there but lived elsewhere for my entire life

12-17-13 11:09 AM
    your pants are too sweaty and your legs/but cheek movement causes it to swipe up and trigger the password screen which has the mergency dial button.

cops showed up at my place after a bike ride in the middle of the night to see if i was okay since they didnt hear any response after an emergency dial. I was taking out the trash while in my boxers.

the solution is to make sure that the screen is facing away your thigh or **** cheek while in your pocket.
    Must have been a helluva shock seeing them rozzes show up. I'll have to beware of my phone screen orientation from now on then... thanks!

12-17-13 11:11 AM
    I never had any issues with pocket dialing as I keep my phone in a leather pouch when not in use.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:30 AM
    I'm now starting to think this is happening more frequently than people think since you'll probably never know your phone did it till the cops call you. I just received a call from them telling me they received another call from my number at noon yesterday, at a time which I'm absolutely certain the phone was in my pocket. They also told me BlackBerry is in the process of solving this issue and will be rolled out in further os update releases... hence I'm not sure if the newer updates will solve this issue

12-18-13 02:43 AM
    You guys are truly unlucky. I've had my phone since February and have never pocket dialed anyone. I have Z10 in a transform she'll, not sure if that helps my cause but I have my phone in my pocket all the time.

OP, it's probably best you turn the gesture to unlock feature off until you go to 10.2.1 or the official OS release happens. The lock gesture on 10.2.1 is side to side and I hear it's less prawn to accidental calls.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:34 AM
    Yes I guess we are unlucky... just bought a flip shell casing today for my Z10... I hope it helps. Plus I've turned off my gesture on lock screen and the password off. After all I do keep my phone with an arm's length at all times, even in the shower or when I'm doing sports

12-18-13 07:46 AM
    AFAIK, all modern smart phones have this problem, due to the emergency button on the lock screen. I think that "feature" was legislated into existence.

The cliche, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help," comes to mind.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:14 AM
    My phone is always in lock mode when in my pocket so this doesn't happen.
    12-18-13 08:43 AM
    My phone is always in lock mode when in my pocket so this doesn't happen.
    That is when it happens - locked and in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:26 AM
    Are there any apps that help prevent pocket dialing? Using the proximity sensor or something...?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 05:09 PM
    I have accidentally dialed people (not emergency services) but I know the reason.

I have all 9 of my speed dials in use, so when I click the "phone" icon on the bottom left, 2/3 of my screen fills with 9 speed dial squares and after finishing a call if I do not close the phone icon I can easily call someone..

Z10, official Digicel 10.2.1.2941
    06-07-14 09:06 PM
    Case with a cover for the screen definitely helps.
    Got the white genuine flip case.

Z is worse than Q imho, can't remember when it last happened on my Q. It has the genuine BlackBerry flip case cover and a "custom" flip lock mechanism (simple velcro dot, there is a thread about it).

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-09-14 02:13 AM
    I've had the z10 for a year and never pocket dialed the emergency number. Then yesterday, I did it twice. How embarrassing, wasting the time of people at the emergency call center. Yes, it was in my pocket, I was bicycling, so the sweat helped make it happen.

I sure like the swipe up to unlock feature, but after this, I guess I have to disable it. It's too bad.
    06-09-14 11:53 AM
27 12