Hi!

This might be the wrong section of the forum but I wanted to see if anyone had an explanation for this. I will try to keep it brief, but it's weird!

Essentially my problem is that occasionally, I will get a totally off-topic text from a friend, or a confused phone call. They'll be bringing up something random. When I ask why on earth they are bringing this up out of nowhere, they'll say I brought it up first. I eventually figured out what was happening (sort of)..

What happens is when I send a 2-parter or 3-parter, or just a generally long text, it will be merged with an older 2-parter or 3-parter text. So for instance today my boyfriend and I were talking about Chinese food and I sent this long description of my food. He replied to that, and then also sent me a text about something totally unrelated. I asked why, and he said I brought it up. Turns out he got my text about Chinese food conjoined to a text I'd sent him last week!

This would be kind of funny except for the fact that I have no way of knowing it's happening - maybe it's happened before and people have just been confused and ignored it. The worst part, though, is that because it only effects long texts, it tends to involve rather serious conversations and ends up being really embarrassing. I'm sure my boyfriend thought I was a lunatic for bringing up my definitions of cheating with my descriptions of sticky rice!

Here is the weirdest part - it's been happening since 2010! So I've had 3 phones since then, but all blackberries. I guess this means this might be a provider issue with Telus but still, too weird. Do you think this is something local to my phone where if I just regularly cleared my texts I could stop it, or are they coming from the ether?

I'd love to hear theories! (sorry, that wasn't brief at all!)

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 04:34 AM
    That IS strange!
    12-16-13 03:10 PM
    That is extremely odd. I frankly have no idea. If it's been happening since 2010, sounds like some VERY weird carrier issue. Can't possibly be the fact that you've had BlackBerry's since that time.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:33 PM
    This has happened to me ever since I got my z10 way back when. I would send some long winded text about something and my girlfriend would respond with "what are you talking about? That doesn't make sense!" My texts would change mid sentence so we could see that something was wrong and I wasn't actually being weird. It took a few times of her getting funny texts for us to realize what happening.

I devised a little experiment to see just how far into the text box the glitch happens. I sent a text that was just "aaaaaa" for the entire 145 character limit then "bbbbb" for the next 145 limit. It seems that the text went funny a few a's before the b's should have sent. A week later she got a text that trailed off into bbbbb...

So I don't know why it's happening, and I don't know how to fix it but I now keep my texts to 145 or less because I don't need any potential embarrassment.

I'm on the Telus network in London, Ontario.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 01:03 AM
    Ahh, it must be Telus! That's a smart idea with the aaaaaaaa bbbbbbb thing...

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:13 AM
    Sounds like a carrier issue. Try putting SIM in another non BlackBerry and test.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:00 AM
    Ahh, it must be Telus! That's a smart idea with the aaaaaaaa bbbbbbb thing...

Posted via CB10
    Are you also on Telus? Because if you are then it must be them

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 03:19 PM
    It's so rare that it would be really hard to troubleshoot. I think I will ask Telus about it...

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:23 PM
    That's a good reason to only keep important texts and/or change them to conversation style.

Posted via my ridiculous BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    12-17-13 09:26 PM
    Call Telus ask for tier 2 support. Specifically mention to 1) disable message terminating and originating via the billing system. Then to check the switch to ensure that isn't causing an issue. My experienced guess (I've had access to the Nokia and old no longer used legacy tdma Nortel switch on rogers during the gsm migration) that the switch is using something legacy regardless if the bilking system matching with whatever phone you've used.

2) have the tech disable sms also from the switch and only to re enable is via the billing system. This in turn will enable the switch to match and should be cook and curry after a phone reboot, and test sending yourself a text first before receiving or sending to anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:49 PM