Hi all, new to BlackBerry but loving my new z10. Coming from android one X 32gb quadcore.
    I find it strange that the app permissions are presented after you have downloaded the app. Would it not make more sense to accept or decline app permissions before the download. Case in point I downloaded the frog jumping across the road app, and when I went to open it was presented with permissions I thought unnessasary for the app so had to uninstall. I have unlimited data but many won't .had I seen the permissions before the download I wouldn't have bothered. Apologies if this is a repost or been covered/asked before.

Posted via CB10
    River S. likes this.
    12-13-13 05:19 AM
    Hello and Welcome to CrackBerry!
    Unfortunately, this is the way it is. I guess if you have limited data then you can't really use a lot of the apps that are available.
    12-13-13 06:14 AM
    I have unlimited data so it's not a problem just a waste of my time.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 06:40 AM
    BlackBerry security allows the user to manage permissions individually. Instead of uninstall you could simply disable the permissions and enjoyed the game. Many apps ask for unnecessary data and APIs and it's up to you what to allow.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by vrud; 12-13-13 at 07:19 AM.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    12-13-13 06:44 AM
    BlackBerry security allows the user to manage permissions individually. Instead of uninstall you could simply disable the permissions and enjoyed the game. Many apps ask for unnecessary data and APIs and it's up to you what to allow.

Posted via CB10
    this app didnt have individual permissions it was all or nothing. only option was accept or decline. decline meant the game didnt open.
    12-13-13 08:12 AM
    Think that is a valid complaint. Would be better if the app confirmed permissions before download.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 08:44 AM
    this app didnt have individual permissions it was all or nothing. only option was accept or decline. decline meant the game didnt open.
    Oh, right. I forgot about android apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 09:09 AM
    Yup, Android apps are like that. Google claims changing that will break applications. I'd rather have the applications break. I provided my feed back to BlackBerry when Waze was launched on BlackBerry. Looks like an interesting application, but I'm not comfortable with the permissions it wants.

Send your desire for better permission control of Android applications to BlackBerry, there are lots of ways:
    Tweet @BlackBerry or @BlackBerryHelp
    Download the Beta Zone application and use it to submit feedback. Join the Beta Zone and leave feedback there.
    12-13-13 09:51 AM
    while blackberry allows individual permission control it still requires you to download the app first and then read the permissions and agree to them. atleast android shows you the list of permissions BEFORE downloading. i have no idea what an app requires until after its already on my phone. this is not about permissions persay its about when they are presented
    12-13-13 10:13 AM
    while blackberry allows individual permission control it still requires you to download the app first and then read the permissions and agree to them. atleast android shows you the list of permissions BEFORE downloading. i have no idea what an app requires until after its already on my phone. this is not about permissions persay its about when they are presented
    What do you mean by "agree to them"?
    BB is different from android that nothing is pushed onto the user - you're in control of your device and don't have to agree.

When I downloaded CB10 application, I knew that the only thing it needs is Internet connection.
    The app actually asked for more permissions.
    I don't freak out, I just simply clear checkboxes and continue with installation.

This applies to native apps only.
    12-13-13 10:32 AM
    How many times do I have to say it's not about permissions it's about when they are presented. Before or after download and with the coming1055 it's going to matter a whole lot more as you won't have the choice to pick and choose when downloading android apps.you will have downloaded and then be presented with the all or nothing.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 12:01 PM
    Than it's probably an android port. Which as you said is all or nothing
    12-13-13 04:30 PM
    An even bigger issue if it is not a free app. You only find out the list of app permissions after the payment is made and downloaded the app.

Before I purchase any app, I always email the developer first to confirm the required permissions.
    12-13-13 10:16 PM
    The pre-download permission check is only possible with a single app store that is 'native' to a platform.
    If we're talking about 3rd party stores such as Amazon and 1mobile, then neither android nor BB smartphone can display the list of permissions before downloading.

I must confess that I haven't downloaded that many android apps.
    BB native apps support permissions individually, so whenever I find a request for permission that is questionable, I reject it POST download.
    In fact, I clear all the permissions after download and select only those that are really needed (I don't understand why this is not a default mode when all perms are cleared).
    CB10 app asked for 5 or so and I rejected them all (and use the app).

If you plan on getting android apps from other stores than BB World then there's no way you could get permissions prompt before download.
    Unless those stores provide such information in app description.
    12-13-13 11:46 PM
    I agree, and think the permission should be presented on the app page. I don't mind the native apps really as you do have control over it for the most part. I rarely use android ports, bit when it comes to android apps, that's at your own risk.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 12-14-13 at 10:19 PM.
    12-13-13 11:57 PM
    it is easier to grab your info first because you can change your mind later ....
    12-14-13 12:18 AM
    How many times do I have to say
    Easy tiger

it's not about permissions it's about when they are presented.
    I think you have a valid concern. It would be nice to know what permissions an app requires before you download and install it.

But, be thankful that with BB10 apps you can approve/deny certain permissions. Many apps will run with certain permissions disabled. This granular permissions system really lets you fine-tune what the app can and cannot do with your data.

While you don't see before downloading what permissions an app requires, you can at least experiment with denying permissions you're not comfortable with the app having to see if it will still function. With Android phones, you can't do this. You take it all or don't use the app.
    12-14-13 01:12 AM
    Just to confirm the app store in question was BBWORLD and the app is Christmas Race 3D

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 01:20 AM
    the app is Christmas Race 3D
    Appears to be an Android port, and those don't have user selectable permissions. It's all or nothing.
    12-14-13 01:47 AM