Any government workers out there that can help me link my government email to my phone? I work for dhs and i can't sync my email. I used to be able to just input my eyes address and password and it synced automatically. Now, I called tech support and they had no idea of newer BlackBerry phones. It seemed my phone is not prepped for government email. Shy help out there?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 11:29 PM
    Any government workers out there that can help me link my government email to my phone? I work for dhs and i can't sync my email. I used to be able to just input my eyes address and password and it synced automatically. Now, I called tech support and they had no idea of newer BlackBerry phones. It seemed my phone is not prepped for government email. Shy help out there?

Posted via CB10
    You need to go through your BES admin. You won't get into DHS email without BES.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-11-13 09:12 AM

Posted via CB10

As was said above, you must go through your BES admin, and I can virtually assure you that they will not allow your personal device on the DHS network. Also be advised that any attempts to bypass this, and activate the device yourself, *COULD* be perceived as hacking a government computer system.
    12-11-13 12:53 PM
    I can get into my dhs email right from my browser. The problem is blackberry 10 phones aren't approved for BES. When I contacted IT, they were totally unaware of new BlackBerry 10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 04:04 PM
    I can get into my dhs email right from my browser. The problem is blackberry 10 phones aren't approved for BES. When I contacted IT, they were totally unaware of new BlackBerry 10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    What DHS agency is this?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 04:09 PM
    Then you need a new IT department. What stone age do they live in?

"Don't mind me, I'm just frying some bacon on the back of my Z10"
    12-11-13 04:10 PM
    Then you need a new IT department. What stone age do they live in?

"Don't mind me, I'm just frying some bacon on the back of my Z10"
    No, he is trying to introduce a personal device to a BES environment. DHS doesn't allow BYOD.
    12-11-13 04:52 PM
    Yes, my older BlackBerry os7 device worked flawless. It synced right up. I could read and respond emails with no issues. It's the way BlackBerry 10 phones handle there email. I work for TSA . Anyone that needs a phone for on call purposes or work related purposes is issued a os 7 device. The newer BlackBerry phones are not supported. I can't find out why but it is something with the email setup.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 05:07 PM
    OK, let me put it this way:
    DHS is considered to be a "secure" agency operating "secure" systems with BES handling cellular device connections. Connecting or attempting to connect an unapproved personal mobile device to a secure system is (a) unsupported and (b) likely to be a violation of your agency's security policies. Violation of security policies would put you at risk of getting fired (minimum), and we would not wish that to happen to any CB member.

Regardless of the above, it won't work for technical reasons. AFAIK your agency is still using an older version of BES which only supports BBOS7 and earlier. Your BB10 device is only supported on the new BES10 and it is not capable of connecting to the older BES versions.
    12-11-13 06:10 PM
    Ok I am registered with my agencies policy regarding BES. I'm trying to tell you BlackBerry 10 devices do not work. Yes you are allowed to have your own device because you have to go through a process to get approval. My old torch was a simple call up, go through process and I'm granted access. BlackBerry 10 device, I'm sorry BlackBerry 10 devices are not supported.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 07:55 PM
    But I think you answered my question with we are using older version of BES

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 08:14 PM
    I'm sorry BlackBerry 10 devices are not supported.

Posted via CB10
    No need to apologise to us, apologies to your phone and the hassle your employer's IT to get their heads out of 2009 and start evaluating BES10 for BB10 phones.

It is likely though that the heavy security regulation of your industry requires them to only allow the use of certified devices (BBOS phones) and certified mobile device management systems (BES5). Until BB10 phone and BES10 pass extensive testing and become certified there won't be much your IT department can do about it.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK
    12-11-13 10:00 PM
    Well this is interesting because no DHS agency I have contact with is allowing BYOD. This is the first I've heard of.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-12-13 04:03 AM
    I mean I can't speak for all but i do know you need clearance before getting accepted.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:56 AM
    I mean I can't speak for all but i do know you need clearance before getting accepted.

Posted via CB10
    May I ask which company you're contracted with for TSA?

I know that CSC and IBM have huge contracts, they might have BYOD.

12-12-13 08:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely sure what your personal clearance has to do with this? This is about risk to the network itself from your device, about the unauthorized disclosure of FOUO information etc. I highly doubt you are using your personal, BYOD device, to access classified material.
    12-12-13 10:03 AM
    I think this where you guys are thinking too much. I know for a 100% fact I'm not violating anything. Also, you are granted access depending on where you are with the agency. Any blackberry that is cleared through I believe the company is called irys, can be used just like any computer can be used to access the email server. If the information is deemed a higher priority you won't be able to view it on your mobile device or computer. The irys company granted you access to the email server this doesn't mean FOUO materials would be viewable on your device.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:26 PM
    Also, doesn't mean you have access to any materials that would be considered SSI.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:29 PM
    I think this where you guys are thinking too much. I know for a 100% fact I'm not violating anything. Also, you are granted access depending on where you are with the agency. Any blackberry that is cleared through I believe the company is called irys, can be used just like any computer can be used to access the email server. If the information is deemed a higher priority you won't be able to view it on your mobile device or computer. The irys company granted you access to the email server this doesn't mean FOUO materials would be viewable on your device.

Posted via CB10
    Which is the reason I asked what contract you were under.

It's OK. I am simply curious because I am unaware of federal employees on BYOD on DHS. On iPhones and Android issued by the agency yes. BYOD no.

No problem. You already know BB10 is not supported.

12-12-13 01:36 PM
    I set my device up easily. Just make sure you have the domain address and server address. You can get that from your I.T department. My I.T department group had no idea of BB10 either. Once you get those two things, set up your email using the advance option. It took less then a minute.

Posted on CB using my badass Z10!
    12-12-13 03:01 PM
    P.s I have State, Government and CDC email coming to my device.

12-12-13 03:03 PM
    Bluline where do you work, just curious.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 07:07 PM
    I police in Georgia and work details for the CDC when needed.

12-14-13 01:58 AM
    That is not the same BES restrictions and policies as federal government, which is what TSA is.

You're discussing local government. CDC is federal but it sounds like you are temporarily contracted to perform finite duties under temporary assignments.

Policies differ.

Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-15-13 04:39 AM
    I police in Georgia and work details for the CDC when needed.

I can tell you for certain the agencies I work with, their Email would not be compromised in such a manner. Some places just dont care about security
    12-17-13 06:50 AM
26 12