Hey all- question- apps like CB, twitter, linkedin and FB- do they eat up your data with the Q10? When i had my curve, the only time data was used was when I used the browser. I think my cell company hasn't fully switched my plan over correctly because I am getting data charges i shouldn't be, but made me wonder if things like blackberry app world and such use data? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 04:08 PM
    Yes they do. In the past it would go through the BlackBerry BIS servers, which does not apply to bb10 phones - they are like every other phone that uses data now.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 04:16 PM
    Interesting. But i have 500 MB free per month with a coorperate plan and I'm not seeing any of that covered. I think they have messed up my billing. I'm not on these aps often enough to go through the data they are indicating.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 12:01 AM
    Q10 uses a lot more data but that's the trade off for performance. I barely used 300mb on my 9900, now I have a 3GB plan that I use at least 2GB of every month.
    12-10-13 12:14 AM
    Can data use be tracked in the most recent OS leak?

If not which app do you recommend?
    12-10-13 05:43 AM
    Can data use be tracked in the most recent OS leak?

If not which app do you recommend?
    Yes, in the latest 1055 leak you can see how much data each app used in the past 48 hours. However, tracking data is very limited: no total data used or total data/month, unfortunately.
    The screenshot is for CB10 app.
    Data usage-img_00000009.png

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:17 AM
    Where do you find the data tracker?? I am on the 10.2.1.1055 leak

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Q10
    12-10-13 07:34 AM
    OP, you should check with your carrier, you do not need the BES option anymore. This should give you access to a cheaper plan with more data. BB10 phones do not need the BES or BIS carrier addons to work.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:09 AM
    Where do you find the data tracker?? I am on the 10.2.1.1055 leak

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Q10
    If you are talking about my screenshot, go to settings-app manager-device monitor then select CPU or memory (battery works only if unplugged) and click on any app. Now, just scroll down and you'll see the internet usage (sometimes you'll have a blank screen after clicking on an app, wait a few seconds and you'll have the charts).
    Device monitor can also be accessed as a quick settings shortcut (you can configure this in settings, too).
    Data usage-img_00000010.png

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:58 AM
    One of the most glaring problems about BB10 is how it's such a data hog, requiring us to spend lots of extra bucks. Not smart. Very bad.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:46 PM
    One of the most glaring problems about BB10 is how it's such a data hog, requiring us to spend lots of extra bucks. Not smart. Very bad.

Posted via CB10
    Actually it's not a bb10 problem, it was a benefit of legacy bbos, now we are just the same as the other guys.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:57 PM
    Actually it's not a bb10 problem, it was a benefit of legacy bbos, now we are just the same as the other guys.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. So weird how some ppl twist things. I guess if u wear the right rose colored glasses it's a good thing. Actually, BB10 and a much worse data hog than iPhone.

But of course, we all know this never had to be.

Once again, the market is smart.
    12-10-13 11:05 PM
    LOL. So weird how some ppl twist things. I guess if u wear the right rose colored glasses it's a good thing. Actually, BB10 and a much worse data hog than iPhone.

But of course, we all know this never had to be.

Once again, the market is smart.
    I'd like to see a report on that. An actual scientific study please - with controlled tests and a sample size more than 1 (preferably in the 1000's and various use cases). Please have it submitted by the end of the week. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 11:47 PM
    He doesn't know what he is talking about. He complains that BB10 dumped push email, then post on the forums that it's a data hog.

I use both a Q10 and an iPhone 5. There is no noticible difference...at all. Data is data.
    I'd like to see a report on that. An actual scientific study please - with controlled tests and a sample size more than 1 (preferably in the 1000's and various use cases). Please have it submitted by the end of the week. Thanks.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 11:50 PM
    He won't. It's amazing that he even has the gull to elude that 500MB of data on BB10 is more than 500MB of data on iPhone.

From the same person who says BlackBerry dropped push email. Trolling to unbelievable new heights.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 12-11-13 at 02:59 AM.
    12-10-13 11:51 PM
    He doesn't know what he is talking about. He complains that BB10 dumped push email, then post on the forums that it's a data hog.

I use both a Q10 and an iPhone 5. There is no noticible difference...at all. Data is data.

Posted via CB10
    You beat me to it. I yeild to you good sir.

Posted via CB10
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    12-10-13 11:52 PM
    Well, the odd thing is, my data usage is tracked and if I check it, I'm nowhere near the limit but then I get a notification other wise. Will have to contact my service provider. It makes no sense. I have a coorperate plan that may need to change with the demands of the new system. I have free emails/unlimited texts and don't really use Internet a lot. I check FB, crackberry and app world but don't spend loads of time to use up 2 million MB

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 11:54 PM
    Just checking email, Facebook and Crackberry isn't going to use much data. YouTube and video streaming will eat up data pretty quickly. But not email and social media. How much data is it showing that you are using?
    Well, the odd thing is, my data usage is tracked and if I check it, I'm nowhere near the limit but then I get a notification other wise. Will have to contact my service provider. It makes no sense. I have a coorperate plan that may need to change with the demands of the new system. I have free emails/unlimited texts and don't really use Internet a lot. I check FB, crackberry and app world but don't spend loads of time to use up 2 million MB

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:05 AM
    What people don't talk about when they're complaining about BB10's appetite for data is the fact the BBOS's Web browser performance was way worse because of all the compression overhead. It's a trade-off, pure and simple, and personally I prefer to have better performance over saving a few bucks a month in data. Not only that, but for us enterprise users, we can get off those ridiculously overpriced BES plans.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 11:28 AM
    What people don't talk about when they're complaining about BB10's appetite for data is the fact the BBOS's Web browser performance was way worse because of all the compression overhead. It's a trade-off, pure and simple, and personally I prefer to have better performance over saving a few bucks a month in data. Not only that, but for us enterprise users, we can get off those ridiculously overpriced BES plans.

Posted via CB10
    No, it uses a lot of data just existing, independent of any web browsing. Yes, the web browsing is much better and something I would pay a premium to be able to do, for browsing. Not basic operations.
    12-21-13 12:10 PM
    No, it uses a lot of data just existing, independent of any web browsing. Yes, the web browsing is much better and something I would pay a premium to be able to do, for browsing. Not basic operations.
    Hmmm, two weeks ago I changed providers. The new provider tabulates data usage in near real time. In that two weeks I've used 16 MB of data. So it does not use a lot of data just existing. You must have it configured to use the data, or have applications running that are using the data.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 02:52 PM
    LTE is very fast and can use a ton of data if a person does not know how to use their phone properly.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 03:59 PM
    OK, you're right. All these people reporting 5-10x more data usage DOING THE SAME THINGS THEY USED TO BE DOING WITH THEIR BOLDS -- are just lying or making it up. AT&T is giving data usage credits because they want to. Be real.
    12-21-13 06:30 PM
    I am being real. As you keep pointing out BB10 isn't BBOS. You can't run it the same way and expect the same results.

Some of the people who complain about high data usage also recommend others set account sync period as short as possible. That will drive up data usage.

I have never doubted reports of high data use, and suggesting I believe those reporting such a lying is slanderous, not to mention rude.

All I've ever said was that I do everything and more than I did on BBOS and use about the same amount of data. Surely you're not suggesting that I'm lying. If I can do it others can to.

On the other hand it is very easy given the media rich email I receive now, or by setting Box to backup video and pictures on wireless, for me to burn through several GB in a month. Learn to use the tools properly and you can get the results you want.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 07:34 PM
    "All these people" are all in your head. America is in a LTE craze. It's $5 a GB on Verizon. I watch video and stream audio and I use about 3GB a month....on 6 devices total.
    OK, you're right. All these people reporting 5-10x more data usage DOING THE SAME THINGS THEY USED TO BE DOING WITH THEIR BOLDS -- are just lying or making it up. AT&T is giving data usage credits because they want to. Be real.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 09:26 PM
44 12