So, snagged myself one of the Z10's on sale because I wanted a larger screen phone for movies and weekends when I don't have to type as much, and the sale seemed like the perfect opportunity. So, my comments after 14 hours of playing around with it (and some sleep), in no particular order:
    • The phone looks truly awesome. I went with white, and the contrast of the white phone with the mostly black front is very beautiful.
    • The phone's build quality is dramatically lower than that of the Q10 or comparable iPhone. It feels cheap and plasticy. I can understand how someone used to BBOS or iOS phones would pick it up and feel it was cheaply made.
    • The screen size is really perfect. It seems larger than an iPhone 5 screen, but just large enough, and not silly large like a Samsung phone.
    • Picture quality is noticeably lower than Q10.
    • Upon putting in my SIM and BBID on startup, my email accounts did not carry over. I thought this would happen, but I guess not. Not a major issue, just thought these account settings were stored in the Cloud on BB's severs.
    • BBM, as everyone knows, only works on one phone at a time. That's fine.
    • My major BBM group (group of 7 friends, one other on BB, rest on iOS or Android) restored after a few minutes. My other two smaller groups, consisting of myself and two or three iOS users, did not restore after many tries. I'm happy my main group did restore, but there still seems to be issues with groups when moving devices.
    • BBM contacts restored, of course, but not chats, as expected. Chats are not stored in the Cloud. That's sort of annoying.
    • Q10 continues to function on wifi with regards to my email accounts. That's nice.
    • My BBW movie situation was not as seamless as I had hoped. My movies are on an SD card that I moved to the Z10. First of all, none of the movies showed up in the Videos app. When I went to play them directly from File Manager (they showed there), I was informed that I had no license to them. Fine, makes sense. Went to BBW and went to My Videos and "redownloaded" them again. System was smart enough to realize that the files were there (for some), and the "downloads" only took about two seconds each. Then the movies were playable and showed up in videos. But this process wasn't that easy:
      1. Several movies said "Could Not Acquire License" and I had to force redownload again. Eventually all worked.
      2. Several of these actually redownloaded the whole movie file (don't know if it made a dupe of the file or replaced it). Annoying waste of time.
      3. While there was a way to see all the movies I owned, there was no Download All button, so I had to do each one individually.Not a big deal, since I only have 22, but if I had hundreds of videos, it would be very annoying. Overall, not as seamless as I had hoped, but I am now watching movies fine on my Z.
    • Don't mind the white theme. In fact, it's a nice change.
    • Phone came with 10.1.XXXX, and upon startup, updated to latest TMO version of 10.1.4XXX. Thought/hoped it would come with 10.2.
    • TMO wifi calling was functioning, but the app was missing. Odd. Had to download the app from BBW. No big deal. Think it's related to this not being a TMO build phone.
    • Works on TMO LTE bands, as expected.
    • Clock looks cooler on the Z vs. the Q.
    • The keyboard seems good for a touch screen. Very intuitive. But nothing is like the amazing Q keyboard.
    • Email to my Gmail (work) account seems to come slower than to my Q. Wonder why.
    • Does BB Maps really not go landscape in Navigation mode? That's annoying. Does it in the 10.2 update?
    • The charger port is in a horrible place. Completely interrupts typing when plugged into charger. This is stupid.

Question: I have not backed up this phone to Link. Will this cause problems? Can I have two phones "Link"ed to the same PC?

Question: I plan to make this my leaks/sideloads phone. Is there a simple place to get started from the beginning on this? Written for idiots? Will plugging this phone into my PC for these purposes mess up my "Link" to my Q (see question above)?

So, that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll be switching back and forth a lot this weekend. Overall, I've very pleased, especially given the price. But I can see how this phone could never attract the same price point as an iPhone 5.

-BJ
    loyalIND, vrud, deltact and 1 others like this.
    12-07-13 09:04 AM
    Some considerations.

It "feels plasticy", yet it's not made of plastic. It's a magnesium alloy. I'll have to disagree with you on this. It feels very solid. (Now, if it is as premium, as the Q10 or iPhone, I'll not comment as I don't have either. But it does not feel [or is made of] plastic ).

Wait. You said white. What I said applies to the black Z10. It could be the white one is actually plastic.

BB10 isn't BBOS, there is nothing to carry emails over. You gotta set everything up. Although it IS a good idea to backup such stuff to the BBID.

Video licences are stored in the protected area of the internal memory of the device that downloaded the videos. Hence, they do not carry over. It's a security measure to prevent piracy.

If you like the stock clock... Give this a try.

Now, your questions...

You can have as many devices on the same Link as you need, there will be no issues and Link will create different backup files for each, as expected.

Again, no, your crack leak dummy phone will not mess Link in any way. Loading leaks is this simple:

1. Download leak autoloader;
    2. Plug device to PC;
    3. Run autoloader;
    4. Device will reboot;
    5. Unplug and run setup

That is it. If you find you have problems after installing a leak, wipe the device and run the autoloader again. That's all there is to it.

If you ask me, trying to pitch it at a ultra premium price was a bad move from day one. Not because the phone lacks anything, but because they needed it in as many hands as possible to generate buzz and interest. I'm sure you're gonna disagree with my take though. :P

Enjoy your two phones. I know I wish I could get a Q10. hehe
    SDTRMG and TITOMAN357 like this.
    12-07-13 09:20 AM
    Some considerations.

It "feels plasticy", yet it's not made of plastic. It's a magnesium alloy. I'll have to disagree with you on this. It feels very solid. (Now, if it is as premium, as the Q10 or iPhone, I'll not comment as I don't have either. But it does not feel [or is made of] plastic ).

Wait. You said white. What I said applies to the black Z10. It could be the white one is actually plastic.
    I guess I'm referring to the back plate specifically. That is made of a rather floppy plastic. In general it is not nearly as solid as the Q10. My Q is like a nice tight brick.

BB10 isn't BBOS, there is nothing to carry emails over. You gotta set everything up. Although it IS a good idea to backup such stuff to the BBID.
    I think iOS stores email accounts in their Cloud, so it is possible.

Video licences are stored in the protected area of the internal memory of the device that downloaded the videos. Hence, they do not carry over. It's a security measure to prevent piracy.
    I understand, but the software could have been written better. It could have recognized my movies were from another BB and said: "Would you like to authorize this phone to play these movies? You have used [1] of 5 authoirzations?" and done it automatically. Or something like that. It was an annoying manual process is all I'm saying. It worked out. I'm not complaining, but it was not "*****-proof" like iTunes is.

If you like the stock clock... Give this a try.

Now, your questions...

You can have as many devices on the same Link as you need, there will be no issues and Link will create different backup files for each, as expected.

Again, no, your crack leak dummy phone will not mess Link in any way. Loading leaks is this simple:

1. Download leak autoloader;
    2. Plug device to PC;
    3. Run autoloader;
    4. Device will reboot;
    5. Unplug and run setup

That is it. If you find you have problems after installing a leak, wipe the device and run the autoloader again. That's all there is to it.
    Thanks. Nervous, but gonna try it later today...maybe!

If you ask me, trying to pitch it at a ultra premium price was a bad move from day one. Not because the phone lacks anything, but because they needed it in as many hands as possible to generate buzz and interest. I'm sure you're gonna disagree with my take though. :P
    It's a nice phone, but we can agree it was priced incorrectly. It does lack the "polish" of an iPhone 5, but I like it!

Enjoy your two phones. I know I wish I could get a Q10. hehe
    Thanks!
    12-07-13 09:30 AM
    More observations:
    • Wifi receiver seems weaker.
    • Z10 keeps disabling my home wifi network when i go outside. Why does it do this??? Just drop the connection if you can't reach the network!!! Don't disable it!!!
    • Cellular receiver seems stronger.
    12-07-13 09:44 AM
    Z10 screen is wonderful it adjusts with ambient light, that is if you view outdoors it will adjust to the bright daylight and if you view indoors or at night it does the same. Go to full brightness and adjust downward until screen becomes comfortable to your eyes.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 10:21 AM
    Z10 screen is wonderful it adjusts with ambient light, that is if you view outdoors it will adjust to the bright daylight and if you view indoors or at night it does the same. Go to full brightness and adjust downward until screen becomes comfortable to your eyes.

Posted via CB10
    I adjusted it. Better, but I don't see it adjusting to Mint light, and I just opened my blinds.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 10:24 AM
    It does automatically without you noticing the screen will just be comfortable to view. At night you will be able to view without disturbing your partner(if your old enough or have one) without having to go to settings to turn down brightness. This is all done automatically. Other os has auto brightness functions but for my taste BlackBerry is the best.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 10:32 AM
    It does automatically without you noticing the screen will just be comfortable to view. At night you will be able to view without disturbing your partner(if your old enough or have one) without having to go to settings to turn down brightness. This is all done automatically. Other os has auto brightness functions but for my taste BlackBerry is the best.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting...thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 10:35 AM
    Lol at "Mint light". First touchscreen keyboard typo.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    12-07-13 10:35 AM
    Further observations:

* The back is very slippery. It's the "golfball" back. Easy to drop this phone.
    * Love the white BlackBerry charger and headset that came with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 10:36 AM
    Order the black battery cover which I intend on doing when mine arrives this week. Kind of a cool effect IMHO. This way you still get the white phone with the black non slippery back cover. I plan on keeping mine in a case most of the time but still wanted the black battery cover. Like the look of that a little more
    12-07-13 11:09 AM
    Order the black battery cover which I intend on doing when mine arrives this week. Kind of a cool effect IMHO. This way you still get the white phone with the black non slippery back cover. I plan on keeping mine in a case most of the time but still wanted the black battery cover. Like the look of that a little more
    I don't think I want a black back cover. Is it the same cool material as the back of my Q10 (black)?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 11:52 AM
    I guess I'm referring to the back plate specifically. That is made of a rather floppy plastic. In general it is not nearly as solid as the Q10. My Q is like a nice tight brick.

That makes more sense. The Q10's back is a glass weave while the Z10's... Well I am not sure what it is. But it's not the same thing.

I think iOS stores email accounts in their Cloud, so it is possible.

Did I ever sy it was impossible? Read again. You'll find me saying it is a good idea. Still, not possible now.

I understand, but the software could have been written better. It could have recognized my movies were from another BB and said: "Would you like to authorize this phone to play these movies? You have used [1] of 5 authoirzations?" and done it automatically. Or something like that. It was an annoying manual process is all I'm saying. It worked out. I'm not complaining, but it was not "*****-proof" like iTunes is.

You have to ask yourself "Does the content provider actually handle such stuff?" BlackBerry gets that from Rovi. They are limited to what ever Rovi's system can handle. But yeah, ideally, it would see your BBID and authorise the content.

Thanks. Nervous, but gonna try it later today...maybe!

Heh, no need to be. It's faaar safer (and way faster) than updating legacy BBOS with Desktop Manager.

It's a nice phone, but we can agree it was priced incorrectly. It does lack the "polish" of an iPhone 5, but I like it!

I rather have the industrial looking Z10. But then again, you got a white one. I am sure that impacts on a lot of aspects.

Thanks!
    Anytime.

* The back is very slippery. It's the "golfball" back. Easy to drop this phone.

Serves you right for getting a WhiteBerry! (I mean to say it is a white-specific issue. I actually think it has a plastic backplate.
    You may wanna look into this: http://dbrand.com/submodels/blackber...bUvbUpU9670003

Should fix your backplate and give you the extra polish you're looking for [and yes, I have my Z10 on that (youtube.com/watch?v=KOuKhsKqwfE] - but purely out of fashion needs - the black backplate is not slippery at all). White Carbon Fiber should get you going, I believe.

More observations:
    • Wifi receiver seems weaker.
    • Z10 keeps disabling my home wifi network when i go outside. Why does it do this??? Just drop the connection if you can't reach the network!!! Don't disable it!!
    Very strange. My Z10 does not do that. What OS version you got there?
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-07-13 at 12:45 PM.
    12-07-13 12:34 PM
    Screen seems huge. Not sure I'd want bigger.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    12-07-13 12:38 PM
    • Phone came with 10.1.XXXX, and upon startup, updated to latest TMO version of 10.1.4XXX. Thought/hoped it would come with 10.2.
    • TMO wifi calling was functioning, but the app was missing. Odd. Had to download the app from BBW. No big deal. Think it's related to this not being a TMO build phone.
    10.1.0.4780 is the latest official on T-Mobile. 10.2 hasn't arrived yet for any supported BB10 handset. I suspect wifi calling is the biggest holdup, plus any possible sensor/accelerometer bugs.

Mine grabbed the wifi calling app seconds after it updated. I used BB Link, not OTA. Sounds like you might have gone OTA or via wifi.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 03:11 PM
    10.1.0.4780 is the latest official on T-Mobile. 10.2 hasn't arrived yet for any supported BB10 handset. I suspect wifi calling is the biggest holdup, plus any possible sensor/accelerometer bugs.

Mine grabbed the wifi calling app seconds after it updated. I used BB Link, not OTA. Sounds like you might have gone OTA or via wifi.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I did wifi.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 03:47 PM
    I just bought the Q10 off Ebay. I love my Z10 (I have the black one so will have to disagree with u on that plasticky feel) but miss the physical keyboard. I am also interested in the longer battery life for the Q and compact size for my smaller hands. I do have a battery bundle and ordered the larger battery off Amazon for the Z. I am typing a lot on my phone and miss the accuracy of the keyboard. So, I will be quite interested in your posts since I am not quite ready to give my Z up. Will try switching between the two devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:00 AM
    I just bought the Q10 off Ebay. I love my Z10 (I have the black one so will have to disagree with u on that plasticky feel) but miss the physical keyboard. I am also interested in the longer battery life for the Q and compact size for my smaller hands. I do have a battery bundle and ordered the larger battery off Amazon for the Z. I am typing a lot on my phone and miss the accuracy of the keyboard. So, I will be quite interested in your posts since I am not quite ready to give my Z up. Will try switching between the two devices.

Posted via CB10
    It's fairly seamless except media you've bought on BBW and that which you sync with Link. Getting that to work takes...well, work!

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:17 AM
    It's fairly seamless except media you've bought on BBW and that which you sync with Link. Getting that to work takes...well, work!

Posted via CB10
    When u say media with sync, do u mean the wireless syncing? Thank u.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 01:03 AM
    When u say media with sync, do u mean the wireless syncing? Thank u.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It gets a little confused when you ask it to sync different things with different t phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 01:05 AM
    Yes. It gets a little confused when you ask it to sync different things with different t phones.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you Benjamin. I might just stick with my Z10 then and see if I can cancel the order. PayPal has not been processed yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 10:35 AM
    Thank you Benjamin. I might just stick with my Z10 then and see if I can cancel the order. PayPal has not been processed yet.

Posted via CB10
    Up to you. I'm liking the back and forth, nut it does take a little work.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 10:38 AM
    Up to you. I'm liking the back and forth, nut it does take a little work.

Posted via CB10
    Well the Q is coming on Thursday after all. Thank u for u r help. Do u have a routine that u do in switching between the two of them? I read that some use the Z on weekends etc. I am looking forward to having a physical keyboard in my hands again.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:05 PM
    Well the Q is coming on Thursday after all. Thank u for u r help. Do u have a routine that u do in switching between the two of them? I read that some use the Z on weekends etc. I am looking forward to having a physical keyboard in my hands again.

Posted via CB10
    Switch sim and log into BBM. I leave movies on the Z.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 01:18 PM
    New observation:

* Battery on Z10 is abysmal vs. Q10.

Posted via CB10
    mastermike87 likes this.
    12-08-13 01:49 PM
79 123 ...