Apps often require enabling permissions unrelated to the core needs of the app. Luckily, the better ones allow you to selectively turn them off. A few have the options grayed out - is there a brute force method do so and if not, why have not BB done so in the OS? Here is my top offender list (at least we can shame them):
    CAA, CNN, United Airlines, Waze

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 08:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    I see a common denominator here. Do you?
    12-06-13 09:15 PM
    Exactly. Those users don't get it.

STL-3 Z10 | Rogers | 10.2.1.1055
    12-06-13 10:00 PM
    Apps often require enabling permissions unrelated to the core needs of the app. Luckily, the better ones allow you to selectively turn them off. A few have the options grayed out - is there a brute force method do so and if not, why have not BB done so in the OS? Here is my top offender list (at least we can shame them):

Posted via CB10
    Which are all android ports , that's why they are greyed out.
    12-06-13 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can't control permissions from android apps without the use of a launcher or some other method I believe.

Posted via CB10
    Jsolts likes this.
    12-07-13 01:35 AM
    I just installed the Kobo reader app, and it has greyed out internet, shared files and device identifying info with the dots on the right and the word ON. So is my only option deleting it if I don't want them to be able to access everything??

I saw on another thread that shared files means that the app can access the content you see when you connect your device via USB. So does that mean Kobo has access to all of the filenames on the SD card, or every file in documents?

How about the device identifying info? Do they get my cell number or just the Q10's serial number? IS there a way to stop this? One big reason I switched to BB was that I was supposed to be able to prevent apps from accessing things they have NO need for! I had to turn off permission to access my contacts, email, BBM & location to several apps that have ZERO legitimate need for it. At least I was able to do this for those apps but not this one? I'm creeped out that a book app thinks it should be able to access things even though it will only read books from their system and not ones I saved. These are apps I got from Blackberry World, not android apps I ported. What are my options? I never gave name or payment info to Kobo because I really wanted it so I could read e-pub and pdf files I already have, not buy new items.
    03-11-14 03:06 AM
    I guess the best thing will be to use mobile formatted Web pages as and when possible and avoid apps. I know the pros for using an app.
    03-11-14 08:44 PM
    I see a common denominator here. Do you?
    Now, now. Some people don't know.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    03-12-14 01:44 AM
    You can't control permissions from android apps without the use of a launcher or some other method I believe.

Posted via CB10
    In the BlackBerry PlayBook you could select individual permissions for android apps.
    The problem is that if a permission is really needed and the android app doesn't have exception handling (read: it's not coded really well), it will simply crash without any error, that's why BlackBerry opted to disable this feature (otherwise users will blame BlackBerry for the crash, not the app makers)

Posted via Z10
    03-12-14 03:56 AM
    Now, now. Some people don't know.

OK, I'll bite... What don't we know? IDK about the others that are asking about ported Android apps, but I'm talking about apps that came FROM the official BB world. I know Android has blanket permissions, but I chose BB partly FOR the better control.
    03-12-14 05:18 PM
    OK, I'll bite... What don't we know? IDK about the others that are asking about ported Android apps, but I'm talking about apps that came FROM the official BB world. I know Android has blanket permissions, but I chose BB partly FOR the better control.
    I might be wrong, but android apps in bbworld are still android apps...

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 05:46 PM
    If an app isn't native, ie Android in origin, whether it's in BlackBerry World and officially ported or from another Android store, then you have to either accept all of the permissions or don't use the App. If it is a native BlackBerry app, you can uncheck the boxes for the permissions that you don't want it to have. Mostly, I uncheck the BBM ones.

03-13-14 01:29 AM
    It's the same for Android users BTW. They have no say over the permissions at all, it's all or nothing with Android.

03-13-14 01:31 AM
    So how do you tell the difference between a native BB app vs a ported one on the Blackberry World you reach either via your BB or? online? I had thought the Kobo app was BB, I didn't see anything saying it was a port... Did I miss some fine print or do they not always say whether it is native or not?
    03-14-14 03:08 AM
    So how do you tell the difference between a native BB app vs a ported one on the Blackberry World you reach either via your BB or? online? I had thought the Kobo app was BB, I didn't see anything saying it was a port... Did I miss some fine print or do they not always say whether it is native or not?
    Generally I look at the reviews. If it is not native, there'll be numerous "shame it's not native" comments. Also, the permissions screen indicates by not allowing the un checking of boxes and finally, when you run it, you should be able to tell the difference.

03-14-14 03:14 AM
    You can also sometimes tell from the screen shots. A native app will probably use familiar Cascades elements, a ported app will use Android elements.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 03:59 AM
    And some devs include screenshots with the android status bar, because, apparently, cropping them with paint it's too much of an hassle
    03-14-14 04:51 AM
    And some devs include screenshots with the android status bar, because, apparently, cropping them with paint it's too much of an hassle
    I hate to show my ignorance, but I've never even held an android device... What do the status bar or "Cascades elements" look like? Is there any other way to see if it's a port? I only get apps from Blackberry world and try to stick with "made for BB" apps.
    Last edited by scubafan; 04-01-14 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit enter!
    04-01-14 06:23 PM