Not sure if anyone has covered this, but anyone get the feeling that the US media, bloggers, websites etc want/would like to see BlackBerry die out so they can control the mobile space?

The reason I said this is because, look at the competition. They are all US based operating systems and with all this NSA talk going around, it would make sense right?

Would just like to hear what others think. Because you can't tell me that the company/os is that bad.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:52 AM
    The OS is, imo, the best of those you listed. BlackBerry, however, have a very bad reputation.
    12-04-13 07:57 AM
    The OS is good, but the company is bad. It is run terribly. No direction, no forethought at all. Even the best product in the world would inevitably fail if it was being backed by the management teams BB has had.

Negativity sells in the US. People love hearing about train wrecks. This is why media continue to report negativity despite BB�s steady drift onto irrelevancy within the US market.
    Spawn12, TheStoryUp and TheStoryUp like this.
    12-04-13 08:07 AM
    12-04-13 08:13 AM
    OS = best
    Perception = worst

Perception swing is their challange. Currently the media enjoy picking on BB, makes for good evening fodder. Once BB can ear mark some success (eg enterprise begins to grow), I think the media will jump on that as well, because as much as they like to kick while down, they also love a comeback story.
    12-04-13 08:18 AM
    Not sure if it is conspiracy or a perfect storm. Chen certainly has his work cut out for him. I believe they will be able to develop a solid enterprise plan. In the consumer market, there is an awful lot to overcome. It is good to get some tidbits of good news that point to BlackBerry not making a total bailout on the consumer market, for now anyway. What the overall consumer market plan is, remains to be seen.

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24 (UTB Subscribed)
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-04-13 08:19 AM
    Such theories are dumb. What do you think, that everyone working in a media position or as a blogger is getting money from the NSA? Please...

The reason BlackBerry is endangered is obviously it's terribly mismanaged past. Maybe they still have a chance to make a comeback - and I would hope so - but this is absolutely uncertain. In my opinion, the media has not even been too critical all the time. The launch of cross platform BBM and the lunch of BlackBerry 10 was almost hyped by some papers. But when it comes to bad news, the financial papers and most daily news are pulling up very quickly. Bad news, sadly sells much better than good news most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots, yfan and meltbox360 like this.
    12-04-13 08:24 AM
    Not sure if anyone has covered this, but anyone get the feeling that the US media, bloggers, websites etc want/would like to see BlackBerry die out so they can control the mobile space?

The reason I said this is because, look at the competition. They are all US based operating systems and with all this NSA talk going around, it would make sense right?

Would just like to hear what others think. Because you can't tell me that the company/os is that bad.

Posted via CB10
    With over 90% of the smartphone and tablet OS market being own by American companies, the United States already own the mobile market.
    12-04-13 08:29 AM
    Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:35 AM
    The NSA has yet to crack BlackBerry security. If BlackBerry could be brought to its knees and the company parted out then all the patented communication security would be free to be picked through.

It would be a clever long range strategy to take over a companies secrets.

This is no different than in any other business.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    12-04-13 08:48 AM
    No to the conspiracy theory.
    The OS being good/bad is subjective. The one thing I've learned over the past few years is via BBs failure (and in my personal life) is the importance of marketing/branding/whatever you call it.

There is a BIG difference between something being actually good and being PERCEIVED to be good
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    12-04-13 08:50 AM
    Not sure if anyone has covered this,...
    For real? So you mean you have missed the other 64,358 threads on this blame everyone and everything except those responsible lunacy?
    12-04-13 08:59 AM
    Theres no conspiracy.

BB had the market by the stones, then let other companies run away with it by failing to deliver a product that met the needs of customers. Now, they've finally come close to catching up, but have lost all of their positive brand recognition, and still lack in things the consumer and business customers need.

People need to give up this crusade to blame everyone else and force BB to be accountable for their errors.

Now someone pass me the popcorn and my tinfoil hat.
    bbq10l, Bsbudd, Mecca EL and 3 others like this.
    12-04-13 09:06 AM
    Conspiracy?

No. Blackberry sales share has dropped to less than 1% of the U.S. market. To say that's an indication of problems that might result in negative articles is an understatement.
    12-04-13 09:23 AM
    Best is subjective, although most of the reviews I've read for the Z10 and Q10 were generally neutral to positive on the OS. What isn't subjective is the performance of the company the last few years. Hanging on to BBOS and older hardware well past its prime. The constant delays and half-baked products. The lack of any decent marketing. That has really put the company in a position where it's difficult for them to regain traction, even if their product is decent. They don't exist in a vacuum, and the competition keeps moving on.

The media is the media. They're not acting any different than they normally do, we're just more aware of it because of the subject of the content. They love a good story about a fallen giant, be it the latest celebrity to hit rock bottom, or the once dominant tech company that has fallen on hard times. Don't want to become a story? Don't give them one. Unfortunately, there's been plenty to write about the last few years.
    12-04-13 09:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    No.
    The entire us media being on the same page all together. Ya, right.
    You forget, all it takes is one whistle blower.
    Conspiracies do not exist.
    12-04-13 09:26 AM
    I am... somewhat speechless at the extent of belief in conspiracy theories in these forums. And jingoism. Goodness.

For me, while marketing hasn't been good, I do not agree it has been the biggest fault in RIM/BBRY's rapid slide into insignificance. By far it has been the inability to deliver. Delays, poor performance, bizarre omissions such as lack of native email on their flagship product, yet more delays, failure to follow up on announced products� and all this in maybe a little over a year. The early signs of trouble were there from 2009 but the disintegration was very rapid in the last year because they could no longer fake away existing weaknesses and were likely forced into high-risk options that ultimately failed. The inner workings of the company were a shambles IMO: terrible management decisions, complete failure to understand how to sell their new OS to their existing user base, flip-flopping on decisions that made them look either indecisive or scrambling. If you didn't know this was BlackBerry, would you have confidence in such a company?

Any technical excellence is lost in all that noise, particularly the CE industry. You must be fast and flexible if you don't have a strong ecosystem to buy you goodwill.
    12-04-13 09:50 AM
    The US culture is based off of fear. Mom and the government tries desperately to install fear into its citizens so they will be more willing to give up their rights and freedoms. But Blackberry's problems are bad management in the past. BB10 won't gain to much traction with developers till octocore processors are the norm.
    12-04-13 10:07 AM
    No conspiracy, but the media does have a mentality somewhat like a pack of jackels. They like to pick on the weakest in the herd just so they can take it down and then brag about how they were right about how it was going to fail. This is true whether it's a company or a person they're trying to destroy. Which is why I smile every time a newspaper announces a layoff.
    12-04-13 10:16 AM
    Not sure if anyone has covered this
    As a matter of fact, it is covered every now and then. Like every day.

We even have a running list of conspirators, and I don't think "websites" has ever been mentioned. AG, do you mind updating the list?
    h20work likes this.
    12-04-13 10:45 AM
    I went to recommend a BB10 device to our office AR person who is shopping for a new phone but when I went to walk down the hall to her office, two tall men with dark suits wearing thin wristwatches, Google Glasses and iPod earbuds blocked my way and told me it wasn't any of my business and go back to my office and wait for further instructions...
    Tre Lawrence, TgeekB and Barljo like this.
    12-04-13 10:46 AM
    I went to recommend a BB10 device to our office AR person who is shopping for a new phone but when I went to walk down the hall to her office, two tall men with dark suits wearing thin wristwatches, Google Glasses and iPod earbuds blocked my way and told me it wasn't any of my business and go back to my office and wait for further instructions...
    Google glasses AND iPod earbuds?

Post of the day.
    12-04-13 10:51 AM
    OS = best
    Must be why BB10 has the highest return rate..only people on this forum think that..
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-04-13 10:53 AM
    The NSA has yet to crack BlackBerry security. If BlackBerry could be brought to its knees and the company parted out then all the patented communication security would be free to be picked through.

Posted via CB10
    According to media reports, it HAS been cracked. By the NSA and the UK's GCHQ (their NSA equivalent).

I realize this report has been discussed on Crackberry before and the forum hounds here think this is a "false report", but this is in the cache of materials that were turned over by Snowden and virtually 100% of his documents have now come to light as being true, despite being denied over and over by the NSA. To believe that all the other leaked Snowden documents were factual, but this ONE PIECE is not true is asinine.

Sorry to break it to you, but Blackberry BIS and BES have already been hacked.

Source:
    U.S. and U.K. spies crack BlackBerry BES encryption, report says - Computerworld
    Documents leaked by Edward Snowden indicate that the NSA can read certain BES communications
    bbq10l likes this.
    12-04-13 11:09 AM
    Yes! Finally, somebody gets it! There's no way a company can go from 70% market share to less than 1% in three years just by making products nobody wants and by bad management. That's never happened before (unless you count Palm, Atari, CompUSA, MySpace, Gateway, Vonage, Iridium, Segway, etc.).

No, only the awesome persuasive power of NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX could account for the shipwreck of BlackBerry. We all know how it works. These media outlets tell us what to think and what to buy, and we American sheep fall in line. That's why the products the media hypes as "iPod killers" and "iPhone killers" and "iPad killers" have done so well.

So why target BlackBerry? Because it's Canadian, of course, and as we all know, Americans hate Canada for trying to make us watch hockey and for giving us Celine Dion and Justin Bieber (really, that was unforgivable).

Exactly! We Americans only like American products like Samsung and Toyota. And do you think it's a coincidence that ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are three-letter companies, just like FBI, CIA and NSA? Well, do you!? Hold on . . . something just tripped one of my perimeter sensors. I've gotta go check it out. I'll be right back . . .
    12-04-13 11:18 AM
117 123 ...