I have read WAAAY too many posts about U.S. BlackBerry 10.1 Users complaining how they are still stuck on 10.1. I am an AT&T user, but I am on 10.2 and it's official. How? I thought you'd never ask! Here's how to liberate yourself and say "**** You" to the U.S. carrier who won't support your BlackBerry 10 device. Follow these simple steps and you will breathe a lot easier.

1. The update you are about to do is OFFICIAL. Just because AT&T didn't send it to you doesn't make it dangerous. It's the same damn thing you would get next year while the rest of the world moves on to the next update.

2. You're holding a Canadian phone. Time to be Canadian. Buy yourself an inactive Rogers 4G LTE SIM on eBay for 5 bucks. Inactive means no service plan. NEVER lose that SIM.

3. Unlock the phone. Don't be a cheapskate. That's an expensive phone. Fork out 35 bucks and be done with it. Here is where I unlocked TWO Z10s:
    Blackberry Z10 Unlock Code : Unlock Z10

4. The unlock code is entered into Settings, Security and Privacy, SIM Card. Use PIN 1 first.

5. Once unlocked, take your Rogers 4G LTE SIM from eBay (once it arrives) and switch it for your active U.S. Carrier SIM with phone powered down. Back up your phone first on BlackBerry Link.

6. Turn the phone back on. Connect to Wi-Fi. MANUALLY search for updates: Settings, Search for Updates.

7. Download the OFFICIAL 10.2 update you see.

8. After the auto reboot when the update is done, power down. Replace the Rogers 4G LTE SIM with your U.S. Carrier SIM. Power on.

9. You are now on 10.2. Officially. And you can still use your U.S. carrier with no issues. Now you have a phone free from the prison of waiting to be updated. You've joined the rest of the world. Back up your phone via BlackBerry Link.

10. Future updates will require the SIM swap out. It's an extra step, and very easy, but hey, at least you're not watching the BlackBerry World pass you by anymore.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    12-03-13 09:39 PM
    A couple things. It seems like it would be a whole lot easier just to download the leaked OS version that the other carrier's have released. Isn't that the exact same thing, but free?

Also, does unlocking your phone void your warranty, or no?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:47 PM
    On AT&T you can request an unlock code for free here: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=eNc08mp8

There are some stipulations, but I have unlocked several BlackBerry smartphones this way, even before the contract was up.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:52 PM
    If you have a computer then sachesi is much cheaper. Like $0 cheap.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/
    12-03-13 09:54 PM
    If you have a computer then sachesi is much cheaper. Like $0 cheap.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/
    Agreed. I think there's a level of peace of mind that comes with OP's process. A lot of people are scared to run Sachesi or install leaks.

Posted via CB10
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    12-03-13 10:09 PM
    Some would argue it's safer to download the leak that has been certified official by other carriers...via the autoloader, than it is to download OTA from a sim card.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 10:14 PM
    That's ok, Ash, but thanks for the info. I'll save that method for later. In the mean time, it was worth every bit of 75 bucks to unlock two phones without AT&T s help or permission. Up theirs.

LuisCast and gokulesh like this.
    12-03-13 10:17 PM
    Sachesi didn't work for me. But what the OP said is really good and everybody can do it. I did it 2 weeks ago with my phone and then with my wife's both of us are AT&T costumers and now every time an update hits Canada we will able to run it. All this with one simple sim card
    93Aero and AshDeezy like this.
    12-03-13 10:19 PM
    Leaks are not safe. They are not stable. They are test versions. Official OS releases are decidedly more stable. The risk outweighs the benefit for some people.

12-03-13 10:19 PM
    I apologize in advance, Ash. No offense. I know you did it, but advanced users can handle bugs while average users panic.

93Aero, AshDeezy, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    12-03-13 10:20 PM
    Not to add confusion, but a leak is not really a leak once it's been released by another carrier. It's the exact same thing as using a sim card, but you use your computer as opposed to OTA. You get the same OS version either way. Does that make sense?
    Leaks are not safe. They are not stable. They are test versions. Official OS releases are decidedly more stable. The risk outweighs the benefit for some people.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-03-13 10:34 PM
    A leak is assembled from bits and pieces of an OS, or possibly handed down internally, but it is still a leak regardless of OTA or you installing it on your PC. Let's put it this way: if what you install through your PC does not match number for number an official OS release, you are installing a leak. An official OS update, on your PC or OTA, must match numbers of an official release. Sachesi can help you get an official release from another country, but so can a SIM card. The issue is radio file. Rogers radio files work perfectly with U.S. Carriers. So a leak is a gamble as much as installing an official OS update from another country. You really have to do your homework to avoid borking the most important part of your device : phone service. That is advanced user territory, such as Ash and myself mess around in, but we're both educated IT guys too. My instructions were fir the masses of any experience level to put an end to this U.S. Carrier update misery. I just want others to see BlackBerry for what it really is. The waiting game doesn't exist on the other side of the U S. borders. This removes the barriers for everyone.

12-03-13 10:55 PM
    Having said that, leaks are fine as long as you know what you're getting into, understand the risks and bugs, back your device up first in BlackBerry Link, and realize that there is a very real potential you could irreversiblly brick your device. I think that voids a warranty faster than unlocking the phone.

12-03-13 10:59 PM
    That's a little confusing. There is no difference in an OS file, between a leak and an official OS, if they are the same OS number. In other words, anyone can load the exact same OS via a "Leak" as what has already been released in other countries. It is the exact same thing as loading from a sim card. One is an OTA and one is an autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and n8tiveg like this.
    12-03-13 11:07 PM
    I have yet to brick my phone from any leak....ever. While I do agree your method is very easy and simple to do, it's time some of these people grew a set and played with a leak. It's not that much more difficult than swapping out sim cards and it's always reversible.
    Mecca EL and Willard814 like this.
    12-03-13 11:10 PM
    Waterfront, you are not describing a "leak". You are describing an unofficial installation of an official OS release. Huge difference. Leaks are not official releases. They are for testing and have varying degrees of success. If anyone wants to run a leak, and I mean an actual leak, back up in BlackBerry Link so you can un**** your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

12-03-13 11:16 PM
    Sorry this hasn't been clear. Maybe this helps. If a leak gets certification on say, Sprint, you can download the same OS on to Zerizon. They OS will be the exact the file on both phones.

That's how many of us in the US get Leaks...after they are certified someone on another character.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-03-13 11:29 PM
    Use BELL SIM for AT&T Q10. Cheaper than Rogers on eBay too.
    LuisCast likes this.
    12-03-13 11:44 PM
    What's the next step once it's unlocked?
    12-04-13 12:48 AM
    I have read WAAAY too many posts about U.S. BlackBerry 10.1 Users complaining how they are still stuck on 10.1. I am an AT&T user, but I am on 10.2 and it's official. How? I thought you'd never ask! Here's how to liberate yourself and say "**** You" to the U.S. carrier who won't support your BlackBerry 10 device. Follow these simple steps and you will breathe a lot easier.

1. The update you are about to do is OFFICIAL. Just because AT&T didn't send it to you doesn't make it dangerous. It's the same damn thing you would get next year while the rest of the world moves on to the next update.

2. You're holding a Canadian phone. Time to be Canadian. Buy yourself an inactive Rogers 4G LTE SIM on eBay for 5 bucks. Inactive means no service plan. NEVER lose that SIM.

3. Unlock the phone. Don't be a cheapskate. That's an expensive phone. Fork out 35 bucks and be done with it. Here is where I unlocked TWO Z10s:
    Blackberry Z10 Unlock Code : Unlock Z10

4. The unlock code is entered into Settings, Security and Privacy, SIM Card. Use PIN 1 first.

5. Once unlocked, take your Rogers 4G LTE SIM from eBay (once it arrives) and switch it for your active U.S. Carrier SIM with phone powered down. Back up your phone first on BlackBerry Link.

6. Turn the phone back on. Connect to Wi-Fi. MANUALLY search for updates: Settings, Search for Updates.

7. Download the OFFICIAL 10.2 update you see.

8. After the auto reboot when the update is done, power down. Replace the Rogers 4G LTE SIM with your U.S. Carrier SIM. Power on.

9. You are now on 10.2. Officially. And you can still use your U.S. carrier with no issues. Now you have a phone free from the prison of waiting to be updated. You've joined the rest of the world. Back up your phone via BlackBerry Link.

10. Future updates will require the SIM swap out. It's an extra step, and very easy, but hey, at least you're not watching the BlackBerry World pass you by anymore.

How does using an inactive Canadia SIM work for this?
    12-04-13 01:06 AM
    Inactive Canada SIM registers with the server as being in the Rogers network. Even if inactive, the BlackBerry server checks to see what SIM is inserted. Easy. As for waterfront, you keep using the word "leak". It's not a leak if it's official. It's not a leak if it's official. You keep referring to an official OS version unofficially installed on a user's device from another network. That's what my instructions offer but minus the hassle of using a computer like you describe. This is all OTA on the device. You don't even need to use a computer to unlock the phone. I have the link to the unlock code in the instructions. Sorry this hasn't been clear; maybe THIS helps: What I'm clearly saying is you can unlock and update your device in the desert if you can get a signal on your phone. Don't overcomplicate it. I'm trying to make this easy and stress-free for ANYONE.

12-04-13 07:30 AM
    Jogo, were you just joking, or were you seriously asking what comes after unlocking the phone? Step 5 says unlock it, back up the phone on BlackBerry Link, power down the phone, and swap SIM cards.

12-04-13 07:37 AM
    A large majority of US BB10 users are also corporate users and connected to an Enterprise Server. Most corporate environments have restrictions against leaked OSes on such devices and only allow official BlackBerry or US-carrier-released OSes. We shouldn't be held hostage because the US carriers have decided BlackBerry isn't a priority for them. BlackBerry has a responsibility to its users as well, and they either need to improve the situation with the US carriers or bypass them altogether. They had no problem doing so to sell the devices directly, so they should do the same with the OS.

If BlackBerry is to gain any traction in the US market, this has to be resolved properly. Kudos to everyone that has found a work-around, great for those that can go this route. Still so many of us that cannot.
    12-04-13 07:50 AM
    A leak is assembled from bits and pieces of an OS, or possibly handed down internally, but it is still a leak regardless of OTA or you installing it on your PC. Let's put it this way: if what you install through your PC does not match number for number an official OS release, you are installing a leak. An official OS update, on your PC or OTA, must match numbers of an official release. Sachesi can help you get an official release from another country, but so can a SIM card. The issue is radio file. Rogers radio files work perfectly with U.S. Carriers. So a leak is a gamble as much as installing an official OS update from another country. You really have to do your homework to avoid borking the most important part of your device : phone service. That is advanced user territory, such as Ash and myself mess around in, but we're both educated IT guys too. My instructions were fir the masses of any experience level to put an end to this U.S. Carrier update misery. I just want others to see BlackBerry for what it really is. The waiting game doesn't exist on the other side of the U S. borders. This removes the barriers for everyone.

I understand your fears, concerning leaked OS, but your statement is absolutely incorrect. A leak is not a compilation of bits and pieces. It is a complete operating system. There is no OS that is bugfree. With that logic, there would be no need for an update. And there's a difference between an update and an upgrade. Updates are for bug support. Upgrades are completely rewritten, and include new material - such as new features that the former OS wasn't written to support.

My comment isn't meant to spark debate, because you are going to believe what you want to believe. Knowledge frees a person from belief, doubts and insecurities.
    curvezzz, Willard814 and homer1475 like this.
    12-04-13 08:54 AM

It is important to read what issues other users have encountered before you install a leak! I am on the latest leak 10.2.1.1055 and I would not recommend it to a normal user. However, I used the 10.2.0.xxxx leaks and they are absolutely stable and ready for use by everyone.

Edit: I am on AT&T z10
    Posted via CB10
    Willard814 and LuisCast like this.
    12-04-13 10:34 AM
134 123 ...