This is something that I've never understood. I have had this question in mind for quite some time. Does anyone know why BlackBerry did this? How did this action benefit the company?

I personally did not agree with BlackBerry. I didn't want them to give away their exclusive BBM to other platforms like Apple (especially Apple). However, I do know that this was probably a good play for BlackBerry because they must have gotten some sort of benefit from doing this.

Is anyone able to answer this question??
    11-26-13 11:34 AM
    There's a wealth of information regarding this if you listen to past podcasts, watched videocasts and read past editorials. An incredible amount of information my friend. I think it's better if you researched it here in CrackBerry and explore some forums than to open up a thread and ask something that's been answered and debated months ago repeatedly.
    you're probably right, I never did research it.
    11-26-13 11:47 AM
    Name a paid service that's successful across the big three platforms.

I'm thinking BBM combined with Channels will generate revenue from premium features it offers to companies that want to advertise and engage with customers.

You have to get the platform out there before you can make money from it.
    Stewartj1 and Spencerdl like this.
    11-26-13 11:48 AM
    BBM may have been exclusive like u said, but only a long time ago in the past.

BBM is no longer an incentive to buy a blackberry as WhatsApp filled the void. So bbm might as well be cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 11:49 AM
    Don't you know a dealer frequently gives a free sample to set the hook? Yes, it really can be that simple.
    Spencerdl and R Field like this.
    11-26-13 11:59 AM
    I guess the are looking for more BBM users
    11-26-13 06:29 PM
    I think they did it because of people like me who had no idea how good BlackBerry software is. Trying out BBM and seeing how smooth and nice it was on my Samsung definitely helped me with my decision to dump that crummy phone and give BB10 a try. Sure glad I did, too!
    11-26-13 06:39 PM
    Because people wanted BBM. Who wouldn't? It's best service out there.

BB for life!
    11-26-13 06:41 PM
    BBM is no longer the killer feature it was 5 years ago. There are a few services out there now that can emulate what BBM has to offer, at least on the instant messaging side. It's free to increase the chances of iPhone and Android users adopting, or re-adopting it. Once they have a large enough user base, they can figure out how to monetize it at that point (like what Facebook did, or what Instagram is in the process of doing). If they make it a paid app off the bat, then the decrease the chance of adoption.
    Henraay0623 likes this.
    11-26-13 07:16 PM
    There are plenty of other messenger apps out there just like there are plenty of other phones, but in my short experience BBM Is better. I think they released it because they're confident, and it helped them get at least one happy new customer.
    11-26-13 07:48 PM
    I never thought they would either. Just goes to show you,........
    11-26-13 10:38 PM
    I think they did it because of people like me who had no idea how good BlackBerry software is. Trying out BBM and seeing how smooth and nice it was on my Samsung definitely helped me with my decision to dump that crummy phone and give BB10 a try. Sure glad I did, too!
    Pretty much why I'm ere as well. As a massive Android fan, and a flash-o-maniac, my girlfriend and I got hooked to BB the moment we tasted BBM on our Samsung phones. Now we're saving the money to get a Blackberry soon.
    11-26-13 11:27 PM
    Imagine how popular Facebook would be if they charged for it.

Need some pow.
    11-26-13 11:34 PM
    They're going to sell stickers on BBM to make money. If you support BlackBerry, go buy tons of 'em when they're released.
    11-26-13 11:39 PM
    Does bbm work in landscape yet? I'd like to give it another shot if they ever get the obvious things lined out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-26-13 11:39 PM
    BBM money. They have to deploy before Google wallet gets prominent because of some new nfc thing

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 02:35 AM
    Amjass12 nailed it. I'm not exactly happy about BlackBerry giving up something exclusive, but at the time a cross platform BBM was decided, what condition was the company as a whole? There's nothing to lose and chances for gains at that point. Besides, any single thread of a business that can be leveraged for anything positive for the company, no matter how small, must be ran to the fullest. It seems to me, despite my personal feelings, they probably did do what was best.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 02:47 AM
    This is something that I've never understood. I have had this question in mind for quite some time. Does anyone know why BlackBerry did this? How did this action benefit the company?

I personally did not agree with BlackBerry. I didn't want them to give away their exclusive BBM to other platforms like Apple (especially Apple). However, I do know that this was probably a good play for BlackBerry because they must have gotten some sort of benefit from doing this.

Is anyone able to answer this question??
    Because its better to keep the user using something from blackberry versus nothing. It was the right move. BBM users were going to abandon the BlackBerry handsets anyway. With all the other messaging apps, BBM was no longer keeping customers on BlackBerry handsets. They're getting cheap androids. So it makes more sense to have them use BBM on android than to lose them to whatsapp. Thus, you see the announcement by bbry today that BBM will come preloaded on androids. Smart move to make the best of a dire situation.

Get it? There was no alternative. And if they can get big numbers on BBM, and channels, then monetize it, you might wind up with a new and exciting branch in the social networking tree. Don't know if they can pull it off, but it's certainly worth a try.
    11-27-13 04:17 AM
    This is my take on why they went cross-platform. BlackBerry intends to monetize it with products such as bbm money and bbm channels. But in order to do it they need a large subscribe base.

Since BlackBerry's share of the market is only 1.5%, they had no choice but to go cross-platform to reach 90 to 95% of the potential market. Keeping it exclusive to BlackBerry would never allow them to reach as many customers.

BBM was also losing its relevance with a shrinking BlackBerry subscriber base. So by making it cross- platform, it will at least create awareness and expand its user base among customers on other platforms.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    app_Developer and Bbnivende like this.
    11-27-13 06:36 PM
    Market share means current sales not how many people have a BlackBerry. That's harder to estimate due to used sales.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 08:14 PM
    they had to release it everywhere before it became completely irrelevant in the IM space
    11-28-13 08:17 PM
    Common sense stopped the charge for it. First make it popular addictive. Increase market share and then ask for money. This is how most Internet companies were built.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 08:26 PM
    Because that is the only way they would get downloads, momentum, or the kinds of numbers they need for 1)good press 2)future investment added value for a buyer.

Posted from a phone....
    11-28-13 11:05 PM
    It's free advertising to be the number 1 download on both apple apps and on Google app play store

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 04:28 AM
    Wow! Loads of people are trying bbm on android and ios devices and are switching or planning to switch to bb10! Way to go blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 04:44 AM
28 12