Just saw this over at androidcentral and i think it's a great talking point over what is considered piracy and what not so i might as well share this with you guys.

So what are your thoughts? Are we guys pirating anything by downloading and installing anything outside google play store?

Eight minutes on BlackBerry, Android apps and piracy ... | Android Central

Z10 STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    11-24-13 02:14 PM
    Hmm I believe we are not breaching any, as it is publicly available
    11-24-13 02:46 PM
    There's no piracy as apps available in many shops as well as in non shops. There was one appstore closed last year, but that one was piracu headquarters, as they allowed to download PAID Apps for free.

All free apps cannot be pirated!

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:53 PM
    So I can download the Android Central app apk directly from 1mobile. But here's the thing: I never uploaded it to 1mobile.

I don't think that's OK.
    11-24-13 03:13 PM
    Dodgy operations are all over the internet. There are reputable Android stores out there as well, example Amazon.
    11-24-13 03:26 PM
    Lol here goes. I have a dying Droid that I get apk from emailed to me using apk sender app.

"Access to Products. You may use Google Play to browse, locate, and/or download "Products" (defined as data files, applications, written text, mobile device software, music, audio files or other sounds, photographs, videos or other images) for your mobile, computer or other supported device (“Device”). Some of these Products may be offered by Google while others may be made available by third-parties not affiliated with Google. You agree that Google is not responsible for any Product on Google Play that originates from a source other than Google."

According to that I could lol

So I can download the Android Central app apk directly from 1mobile. But here's the thing: I never uploaded it to 1mobile.

I don't think that's OK.
    11-24-13 03:27 PM
    In Apple ... BB and WIndows BB native apps... anything purchased outside their walled garden ( app store ) would be privacy.... as for Andoid... would think if you download and install a paid app without paying for it is piracy as with any other platform... Unless the TOS for the Android store you frequent says they are exclusve to apps being posted it is not pircacy as long as it is free and the dev knows it is posted..... Amazom Android store has made it very clear that they do not have an issue with BB downloading except they will not provide support.... As there are many different Android devices out there it would seem to me any free apps are pretty much open to all....
    zymenth, vrud and rngeek like this.
    11-24-13 03:32 PM
    Hi phil...so amm did u load that bbm apk that leaked out?...or did you load the apk on any other devices? Nit via Google play?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 03:36 PM
    This is what I posted in another thread:

I guess this will be a hot topic.

I faced the piracy issue in my life multiple times with the most prominent being torrents for music/videos.
    I got older and me getting questionable content disappeared.

I was thinking about android, google and where the piracy begins and stops there.
    First of all, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    If you enjoy a free application then it either rewards its developer from ads revenue or you paid it through other forms (i.e. BlackBerry Express development cost is included in the BB phone).

I believe that installing an ad blocker that prevents Google from running their main business or blocks ads in an application targeting its developer is piracy.
    Now, many said that Google subsidies android phones and expects to make some revenue in service sales.
    If that's true, then when a user buys a Nexus 5 device and installs a custom ROM to cut out Google Services then it's piracy.

Now, regarding free apps.
    As said above, they are not free.
    Developers want download counts (that's why most target Android and iPhones for their user base).
    If an application serves ads, then larger download count translates to bigger revenue and it would make the developer happier.

Now, regarding paid apps.
    This is the most difficult to get.
    Imagine an Angry Birds game that is free with ads / paid with no ads in Google Play store.
    Let's assume that BlackBerry made an agreement with Rovio to have the game free and at the same time without ads in BlackBerry world.
    Without knowing the agreement, it's difficult to say whether BlackBerry distributes a stolen item.
    So, from the first look, it might seem like the app was stolen because it is free in another store but in fact it was not.

Bottom line for me, if I know that an item costs way more in another place (being it a digital good or watches), then there's a high change it was stolen but not necessarily so.

Everything above is imho, of course.
    zymenth likes this.
    11-24-13 03:38 PM
    ... You agree that Google is not responsible for any Product on Google Play that originates from a source other than Google."

According to that I could lol
    I don't think that means what you think it means.
    11-24-13 03:44 PM
    @ Phil nickinson. Why does Android central have blogs showing side loading of unsupported Android devices? Yet calls out BB10 as a piracy platform?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 03:54 PM

I don't think that's OK.
    What if it was a paid app and your income just rose due to more exposure? Would that be okay?
    gfondeur and Mecca EL like this.
    11-24-13 03:55 PM
    Maybe you didn't upload it Phil... maybe someone else did.. but they give you credit it for it right? Says your company name! Did you get a notification of people download it or not? That should be taken up with 1 mobile not BlackBerry
    11-24-13 03:57 PM
    @ Phil nickinson. Why does Android central have blogs showing side loading of unsupported Android devices? Yet calls out BB10 as a piracy platform?

Posted via CB10
    Double standards??
    gfondeur, badiyee, TommyBB and 2 others like this.
    11-24-13 03:57 PM
    The third line of the Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement, says that they will distribute your app to "Device: Any device that can access the Market.".

Then later under the heading of "Accepting the agreement", it says clearly "2.1 This agreement ("Agreement") forms a legally binding contract between you and Google in relation to your use of the Market to distribute Products. In order to use the Market to distribute Products, you must first agree to this Agreement by clicking to accept where this option is made available to you. You may not distribute Products on the Market if you do not accept this Agreement."
    11-24-13 03:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because they're hypocrites that's why.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055
    11-24-13 03:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what you mean by the first part, but nobody's "calling BB10 out as a piracy platform."

I think it's fine to be able to repackage APKs as BARs and submit them to BlackBerry World. We're finally going to do that with the Android Central app. From a technical standpoint, I think it's OK to sideload apps to BlackBerry. Where those apps come from is where the lines begin to blur.

What I don't think is OK are stores like this 1mobile. I didn't submit the Android Central app there, yet somehow I can download it form there. That's not right.
    11-24-13 04:00 PM
    What if it was a paid app and your income just rose due to more exposure? Would that be okay?
    Not by me, it wouldn't.
    11-24-13 04:01 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by the first part, but nobody's "calling BB10 out as a piracy platform."

I think it's fine to be able to repackage APKs as BARs and submit them to BlackBerry World. We're finally going to do that with the Android Central app. From a technical standpoint, I think it's OK to sideload apps to BlackBerry. Where those apps come from is where the lines begin to blur.

What I don't think is OK are stores like this 1mobile. I didn't submit the Android Central app there, yet somehow I can download it form there. That's not right.
    According to Google the market is the market so that may mean every single market...
    Maybe you didn't upload it Phil... maybe someone else did.. but they give you credit it for it right? Says your company name! Did you get a notification of people download it or not? That should be taken up with 1 mobile not BlackBerry
    I'm not sure where folks get the idea that giving credit is the same thing as having permission. Because it's not.
    Last edited by Phil Nickinson; 11-24-13 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Typo

I don't think that's OK.
    What about getting it from the Amazon App Store? Amazon doesn't support the appstore on BB10, but encourages to enjoy using it.
    If i get the Android Central app from their store, is it still considered piracy then? If so why (or why not)?

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-24-13 04:03 PM
    I'm not sure where folks get the idea that giving credit is the same thing as having permission. Because it's not.
    As a developer.. you want the most exposure for your app...

With that in mind.. if your getting your counts up by people downloading your app and you get more exposure for FREE from another market what difference does it make?

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-24-13 04:06 PM

I don't think that's OK.
    Bring it to BB World then! Lots of Android users here as well.

Z10 STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    merv69 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-24-13 04:06 PM
    Let the great debate begin!-screenshot-2013-11-25-05.39.17.png

"the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work."

According to the definition of the word, it doesn't have to be a paid app to be considered piracy. Just using it, or redistributing it without the consent of the owner can be considered piracy. But really, I think it's kinda murky.

I have not checked out all the app stores out there for BB10, but I saw one that is "free", but they have links for donations right within the app itself to the developer. In this case, if the developer of the android app store is getting monetary rewards for redistributing FREE Android app that other developers have made and without their permission, that will be extremely unfair to those android developers. Remember, they had to pay to publish their app on Google's play store.
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    11-24-13 04:11 PM
    What about getting it from the Amazon App Store? Amazon doesn't support the appstore on BB10, but encourages to enjoy using it.
    If i get the Android Central app from their store, is it still considered piracy then? If so why (or why not)?

Posted via CB10
    Quite a bit would depend on the Amazon TOS for developers. If the TOS explicitly states to developers that download of their app is allowed on any device that has the Amazon app store installed, then obviously it's not piracy. If however, the TOS doesn't have any such writing, then it could be construed as piracy, if the developer of the individual app didn't explicitly give permission for it to be available to other platforms besides Amazon's native Kindle. In that instance, whether Amazon gives you permission to install their App Store and download apps is irrelevant. Amazon can give you permission to do both, but they cannot give you permission to USE the said app. Only the developer of the individual app can do that, since in the end, s/he/they is/are the owner. Quite possible, without wording about distribution to other devices, a developer could sue Amazon for making their app available, similar to the way MPAA and RIAA sue torrent users.
    eldricho likes this.
    11-24-13 04:11 PM
247 123 ...