Loved my new z30. It caught on a tablecloth and it dropped to the floor. Of all the blackberries I've owned, that never concerned me. I picked it up, brushed it off. Brushed it off again. WTF. Eggshell crack all over the screen. No. NO... seriously. It's one week old. It cannot withstand a drop of 3 feet. I will have a photo when my son comes home with his HTC 1. I'm the biggest blackberry fan.... this is just purely unacceptable. My phones are never abused or mistreated, and still, and just... one drop. And it's like a smashed eggshelll.

I traded in a perfectly good white 9900 for this super delicate hardware. I am not in grade 3 where I need to carry around an egg. I'm perfectly aware that this sort of technology needs to be protected to some degree. I have 6 email accounts and all of them need attention daily. Minutely... if that is a word. I am counting on Telus to make this right.

Do not drop your z30-imag0124.jpg
    Last edited by modine; 11-24-13 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added photo
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    11-23-13 09:01 PM
    Same happened to me with my z10... expect it was 6months old

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    11-23-13 09:03 PM
    I feel your pain. What happened for you in returning it?
    11-23-13 09:21 PM
    Sorry to hear that. I've been lucky with my Z30. I've dropped it a few times but not a scratch

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:26 PM
    Do you have it in a cover of some kind?
    11-23-13 09:32 PM
    That really sucks and I hope they sort it out for you. However, this is an electronic device and they can be delicate. Personally, I think it's unreasonable to have expectations for Telus to make things right but all the better if they do.
    irweezyy, modine and EddieAIG like this.
    11-23-13 09:37 PM
    Get a case

Posted via White Z10
    11-23-13 11:29 PM
    Get a case

Posted via White Z10
    Seriously. It's a 5 inch piece of glass with a computer behind it. Case with some lip. iPhones are the same way. I'm sure the other big phones are bad as well.

Total shame and I'm sorry to hear it, but it happens, unfortunately, Luckily a screen replacement shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Posted via CB10
    EddieAIG and AfterHoursWelds like this.
    11-24-13 12:11 AM
    Really sorry to hear it. I feel your pain as any of us here who love our phones would. Hope you get it fixed up or replaced shortly.
    11-24-13 12:15 AM
    If it was an iphone, it would have flown apart into pieces when it hit the ground.

Posted via CB10
    Breezygirl8 and modine like this.
    11-24-13 12:16 AM
    Any phone with a large screen would break on a fall. It is a form of glass after all. Look around and you'll see lots of cracked screens. One thing in common is that none of them are carried in a case..

Posted via my Z30
    11-24-13 12:36 AM
    Any phone with a large screen would break on a fall. It is a form of glass after all. Look around and you'll see lots of cracked screens. One thing in common is that none of them are carried in a case..

Posted via my Z30
    Which is why I have my note 3 in the otter box defender.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CB Forums mobile app
    11-24-13 12:52 AM
    Seriously. It's a 5 inch piece of glass with a computer behind it. Case with some lip. iPhones are the same way. I'm sure the other big phones are bad as well.

Total shame and I'm sorry to hear it, but it happens, unfortunately, Luckily a screen replacement shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Posted via CB10
    If you pay over 600 for a smartphone,you're better off with a case on it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using CB Forums mobile app
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 12:54 AM
    I pay 7 bucks a month for insurance just in case I drop my Z10. It's well worth it.

Posted via CB10
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 12:58 AM

Posted via my Z30
    I dropped my Z10 onto a cement floor from 5' with no case or screen saver and it ended face down without a single scratch, very lucky I know. It has also fallen out of my car from my pocket while getting out, nothing happened, once again lucky.

I had several iPhones ( 3gs, 4s, 5 ) get scratched from gently placing on a counter or table or in my empty pocket , screens cracking from 1-3' drops with screen protectors and cases.
    11-24-13 01:05 AM
    That's too bad,I know how you feel. I've dropped my PBs several times, from 1ft to 5ft on concrete and wood floors with no damage then one time I dropped one of them on our wood deck steps and crack the screen. Go figure. I replaced the digitizer and life goes on. It must have hit just right. Same thing happened with my 9930. Several drops, nothing but light nicks from the asphalt or concrete and then one drop hits just right and I cracked the upper right corner of the screen. Replaced the digitizer and it works like new.

My daughter cracked her iPhone screen and back several times before she switched to a BB and she'll probably crack it as well. As bad as we hate it, no unprotected device with several square inches of glass is going to survive all drops without damage and the larger the glass surface area the more likely it will happen. I've read several posts of Z30 owners dropping their phones on hard surfaces and concrete with no damage but they could just as well have ended up like yours. Sorry you had to suffer that. Good luck.
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 02:01 AM
    I guess it all depends on the landing. Luckily for me my Otterbox was on when mine dropped a few nights back. I literally saw it bounce back up after falling on one of the edges. Please use good cases to protect your investment, it's well worth it

Posted via CB10
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 05:59 AM
    I am extremely careful with my phones.. I have dropped my iPhone a few times and been lucky nothing happened being as a few were on concrete. But I'm always paranoid and careful as can be lol. Now I have the z30 and was curious myself how strong it is, I haven't dropped it too bad yet tho, my cats just pushed it off the end table a few times onto carpet but that's it so far...

Are you gonna post the pic? When the z30 screen breaks is it still use able like the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:35 AM
    I've knocked my z30 of the exercise bike at the gym once. It bounced off the bike frame and landed on the ground. I didn't want to look.

But it survived unscathed..... I have a leather flip on mine.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:36 AM
    Loved my new z30. It caught on a tablecloth and it dropped to the floor. Of all the blackberries I've owned, that never concerned me. I picked it up, brushed it off. Brushed it off again. WTF. Eggshell crack all over the screen. No. NO... seriously. It's one week old. It cannot withstand a drop of 3 feet. I will have a photo when my son comes home with his HTC 1. I'm the biggest blackberry fan.... this is just purely unacceptable. My phones are never abused or mistreated, and still, and just... one drop. And it's like a smashed eggshelll.

I traded in a perfectly good white 9900 for this super delicate hardware. I am not in grade 3 where I need to carry around an egg. I'm perfectly aware that this sort of technology needs to be protected to some degree. I have 6 email accounts and all of them need attention daily. Minutely... if that is a word. I am counting on Telus to make this right.
    Sorry to break it to you OP, but it all depends on the way the device falls. I've seen iphones, HTC 1s, samsungs, you name it with cracked screens from minor falls. Iphones IMHO are th e worst offenders.
    11-24-13 08:57 AM
    I attached the pic to the original post. I'm going into Telus today to see what I can do. I'm within 15 days of purchase so we'll see. I cannot assume they can do anything for me, that much is true.
    11-24-13 10:23 AM
    I am extremely careful with my phones.. I have dropped my iPhone a few times and been lucky nothing happened being as a few were on concrete. But I'm always paranoid and careful as can be lol. Now I have the z30 and was curious myself how strong it is, I haven't dropped it too bad yet tho, my cats just pushed it off the end table a few times onto carpet but that's it so far...

Are you gonna post the pic? When the z30 screen breaks is it still use able like the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Pic posted in the OP. I can use it, but it's abrasive on the fingers and you sure don't want to do any long up/down swipes for fear of actually slicing the finger...
    11-24-13 10:24 AM
    Now that devices are glass edge-to-edge, this will become more common.

Threads like this are why I always have some sort of case on my devices. Even something thin like the transform case or a Incipio Feather type case may have prevented this.
    11-24-13 10:25 AM
    Please let's not get carried away with where to draw the line between manufacturer' duty and client care for the device. A device can fall on the ground in a infinite number of ways....Somehow got reminded of the McD hot coffee spill suit...

A rim case/shell is a good solution (specially those rubberized ones that provide extra grip) And obviously there're the likes of Otter. And also - the devices by Caterpillar and JCB for industrial level protection (no BlackBerry devices there)

Q1o
    11-24-13 11:50 AM
    So does the screen still work? Cuz on the z10, one hairline crack the screen won't respond at all

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 11:53 AM
60 123