I decided to take in another visit to Verizon to check out more more of the Z30, but this time at a different Verizon store. My new impression is that the Z30 is in a class by itself. Though lower in pixel density, the big 5" screen renders some truly amazing colors. When working the camera, I noticed how fast the response is take a picture. The Z30's camera is wicked fast!

Moving on to build quality, ...though I probably should have mentioned this first. The Z30 feels like it's molded from one piece of high quality aircraft aluminium. That's "Al-Lou-Min-Nium" for those across the pond!

I now have one question in the event it,...the Z30 doesn't come to AT&T,...can you multi-task with it being that the Verizon version is CDMA? If so,...and it's not released on AT&T, ..thiscould bring me back to Verizon.

Cheers....JMD out.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 10:35 AM
    I decided to take in another visit to Verizon to check out more more of the Z30, but this time at a different Verizon store. My new impression is that the Z30 is in a class by itself. Though lower in pixel density, the big 5" screen renders some truly amazing colors. When working the camera, I noticed how fast the response is take a picture. The Z30's camera is wicked fast!

Moving on to build quality, ...though I probably should have mentioned this first. The Z30 feels like it's molded from one piece of high quality aircraft aluminium. That's "Al-Lou-Min-Nium" for those across the pond!

I now have one question in the event it,...the Z30 doesn't come to AT&T,...can you multi-task with it being that the Verizon version is CDMA? If so,...and it's not released on AT&T, ..thiscould bring me back to Verizon.

Cheers....JMD out.

Posted via CB10
    dear friend the multitasting capabilities is on the phone itself not the carrier, so all the benefit of blackberry you wil have it on the device
    11-23-13 10:40 AM
    I'm running a Z30 in tmobile and have a friend who is running it on att... So don't worry it'll work

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    11-23-13 10:54 AM
    Lol nice to know there Z30s are displayed at the store unlike in NY
    11-23-13 10:58 AM
    dear friend the multitasting capabilities is on the phone itself not the carrier, so all the benefit of blackberry you wil have it on the device
    It's noted that some CDMA phones don't multi-task,...i.e., talk and surf the web at the same time. This is where GSM devices excels.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 11:33 AM
    I think if the signal of the carrier is good everything is possible

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 03:39 PM
    It's noted that some CDMA phones don't multi-task,...i.e., talk and surf the web at the same time. This is where GSM devices excels.

Posted via CB10
    Your concern is accurate, but your terminology is off; the phone is doing more than one thing at a time when using voice and data simultaneously, but generally any mention of "multi-tasking" as it relates to mobile devices is referring to the device itself, not the network or radio technology that it implements.

But, to actually answer your question, on all 4G-enabled devices, Verizon manages voice through the 2G/3G radio bands and reserves the 4G band for data. Usually. If your cellular reception drops below 4G, I'm not sure how that would affect functionality as I've never noticed when mine does, which rarely happens. So it doesn't actually solve the limitations of CDMA, but it does offer users the same abilities as their GSM counterparts.

Posted via CB10
    JMDBERRY and 8lackberry8 like this.
    11-23-13 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    My CDMA multitasking is fine. Must others then Verizon.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    11-23-13 03:58 PM
    I'm in a 4G area and I took a call today, was able to read/delete e-mails from the hub and open BBM (not from the hub) without dropping the call. Didn't try the browser but I'm thinking it would not be a problem. If only the Z10 was this solid at launch, I think it would have done a lot better.
    11-23-13 05:07 PM
    Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 05:39 PM
    Someone may wish to confirm with a Verizon Z30 user about the ability to do simultaneous voice and data in 4G areas.

If I recall correctly, GSM/GPRS/EDGE actually behaves the same way as CDMA and EV-DO. Simultaneous voice and data is usually not available unless one is in an area that uses HSDPA. The CDMA2000 specification was at some point looking into an update for EV-DO to SV-DO, which would have allowed simultaneous voice and data regardless of being in an area of 3G or 4G. This was something Verizon was reportedly looking into deploying, and may well have deployed, but it requires devices that were SV-DO compatible to use the service.

This whole thing concerning simultaneous voice and data in 4G LTE areas on Verizon depends on whether or not BlackBerry took the same direction as HTC and other Android manufacturers and made 4G it's own antenna and everything. This is why the iPhone 5 never had simultaneous voice and network data even when in LTE coverage on Verizon or Sprint, they only use the one antenna for all connectivity.

OP, as far as network compatibility goes, the model sold by Telus / Bell / Rogers in Canada will work for certain on HSPA for both AT&T and T-Mobile in the USA, as well as T-Mobile's full LTE network, however for AT&T it will only work in places that are not using band 17 if memory serves me correctly (which on occasion it doesn't). So if you aren't afraid to buy one unlocked and don't absolutely need the LTE speeds, you can keep your carrier of choice. If you absolutely demand that you have LTE, I think your choices become T-Mobile or Verizon.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    00stryder and JMDBERRY like this.
    11-23-13 06:17 PM
    Z10 works with data while on the phone and so does the Z30 for Verizon.

they have dual antennas.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    11-23-13 07:18 PM
    I'm in a 4G area and I took a call today, was able to read/delete e-mails from the hub and open BBM (not from the hub) without dropping the call. Didn't try the browser but I'm thinking it would not be a problem. If only the Z10 was this solid at launch, I think it would have done a lot better.
    I'm not understanding but the Z10 did all that since day one.
    11-23-13 07:19 PM
    I was referring to the overall solid feel of the OS. The Z10 is pretty solid but it launched with 10.0.9 and it was buggy at best. I never had a dropped call but I did have random reboots and to this day, sometimes the phone would vibrate at low intensity for an hour or two for no reason and suddenly stop. I've had no problems with the Z30 so far, but I'll need to give it more time.

I just made a call on my Z30 on Verizon 4G LTE in Connecticut and the browser worked fine. Any other voice+data app combination you want to check?
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    11-23-13 08:47 PM
    I was referring to the overall solid feel of the OS. The Z10 is pretty solid but it launched with 10.0.9 and it was buggy at best. I never had a dropped call but I did have random reboots and to this day, sometimes the phone would vibrate at low intensity for an hour or two for no reason and suddenly stop. I've had no problems with the Z30 so far, but I'll need to give it more time.

I just made a call on my Z30 on Verizon 4G LTE in Connecticut and the browser worked fine. Any other voice+data app combination you want to check?
    Nope that is perfect and exactly what I think the OP was hoping to hear.

I would know this stuff better if I were in the USA and on a network like Verizon myself, as it stands here in Canada my network of choice made the switch to HSPA a whole before jumping to LTE.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    11-24-13 01:09 AM