I was at Telus in Waterloo yesterday buying out my contract because Telus sucks!!! I was there about 45min and I seen two people exchange their BlackBerry legacy devices for a S4 and 5s. I asked the one guy why he decided to get the S4 over a BB10 device? He said "BlackBerry is going out of business"

How can BlackBerry convince consumers otherwise?

Zed10
    11-21-13 06:53 AM
    Advertising
    11-21-13 06:55 AM
    Apps and more competitive specs
    deda1002 likes this.
    11-21-13 06:58 AM
    What kind of advertising?
    how do you convey people that it has apps?

Zed10
    11-21-13 07:11 AM
    Marketing and also giving a huge discount for Legacy owners to trade up. Use the extra Z10 inventories. Identify the Legacy users, send them invites with deep discounts to swap their devices out. While at it, have referral discounts for friends and families.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    11-21-13 07:13 AM
    Let's see. Sounds like going out of business is the theme. So how does bbry convince carriers and everyone they are not? Seems they are having difficulty conveying that message. The million dollar question.

Now from reading on here a lot don't like the new OS or the missing features from legacy, they want their BIS, they want their delete on hand held or mail box or both. Seems they are trying to bring these things except BIS which in some countries provides cheap data plans and it uses less data. What's funny is these will move to an Android or iPhone before moving to bb10 which doesn't make much sense since those provide some of those options and certainly no BIS.
    11-21-13 07:15 AM

Zed10
    Something like it is time to welcome the new year with the BB10. And reassure users that BlackBerry is not going away, not bankrupt and focus on its organizational and communication prowess. Highlight the solid build and UI. Have a throw down challenge where u can try the BB10 for a month and if not happy , BlackBerry will give $50 towards their replacement phone (something along those lines). Set up a special kiosk or phone line like the Genius bar where they will offer tutorials on the new OS and even on how to Sideload apps. Make sure that the staff represent the diverse demographic of BB users.

11-21-13 07:19 AM
    Use the mass amounts of emails they have from BBID to advertise. Use BBM to send people quick reminders of how the company is doing. Give legacy users a REAL value on all them Z10's that they wrote down lol. Seriously BlackBerry keeps missing the boat on this. I know at least 3 people that didn't upgrade their legacy device to a BB10 one either because they didn't know about them or because they thought the company was going out of business

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 11-21-13 at 02:05 PM.
    11-21-13 08:09 AM
    Lack of clarity is harming BlackBerry. The new ceo needs to address this issue fast.

Lack of marketing is what is crippling the platform. We need to get the awareness out there.

Posted via CB10
    mmarco, H_O_Boomaye and R Field like this.
    11-21-13 08:37 AM
    I saw plenty of att and vzw bb10 commercials for awhile in the USA. Advertising does no good if no one cares and or thinks the company is going under. How you inform the world you're not should he easy if you're not.
    anon(5624621) and Toodeurep like this.
    11-21-13 08:44 AM
    Half price when they trade up

Sent from my Z30
    11-21-13 08:46 AM
    That's a real challenging question. I'm a "legacy" user with a Torch 9850 (BB7 ). I started with a 7100, then upgraded to a Tour and finally to a Torch. My Torch does almost exactly what I need and is basically a rock-solid platform. I have the "apps" that I need on the BB7 OS.

What would it take for me to upgrade to BB10?? About the only thing would be if I could for very little $$ and without re-extending my existing carrier contract.
    11-21-13 09:07 AM
    institute key legacy features, (FULLY functional bridge, custom profiles/notifications, etc.), they're headed in the right direction, but not there yet,,, even current bb10 owners want this,,, build future-proof phones, i.e. /ac wifi, etc.,,, customization,,, moto x hit a home run w/ that,,, & 16GB/32GB internal storage,,, i wonder if anyone really uses 64GB on a phone, but the 64 sd card is nice...
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    11-21-13 09:15 AM
    They have to penetrate a new market,China,comes to mind.Bring the stock price up,then and only then will people know they are not going out of business.
    11-21-13 09:15 AM

Zed10
    When you have low single digit market share there's bound to be a catch-22 situation that's very difficult to get out of, unless you can buy your way out of - which Blackberry can't.

A year or so ago, their message was, "don't worry, we have plenty of cash to see us through the transition we want to (and need to) get through. That's not the case any more.

You know how medical patients are evaluated in terms of excellent, good, fair and critical? I don't see how anyone could disagree that BB is in critical condition. Some patients survive from that point, but usually when there was an event that happened,, not when the trajectory of their health has been a declining one.

Folks here may have an investment, both emotional and practically with BB. For a consumer who doesn't, there just isn't enough that the product line offers with respect to the competition to offset the the risk of buying into a company that's on life support.
    kbz1960, notfanboy and keypad like this.
    11-21-13 10:05 AM
    Something like it is time to welcome the new year with the BB10. And reassure users that BlackBerry is not going away, not bankrupt and focus on its organizational and communication prowess. Highlight the solid build and UI. Have a throw down challenge where u can try the BB10 for a month and if not happy , BlackBerry will give $50 towards their replacement phone (something along those lines). Set up a special kiosk or phone line like the Genius bar where they will offer tutorials on the new OS and even on how to Sideload apps. Make sure that the staff represent the diverse demographic of BB users.

so you are trying to convince someone you are still in business and to do so you act desperately giving huge discounts? those are all signs of desperation
    11-21-13 10:28 AM
    They need to stop frustrating the hell out of them and make it easy for people to switch!

By frustrating never ever again go out publicly and say the company is for sale.

Never ever go out again and say that hardware is on the table to be chopped.

Give them a monetary reason to come back to BlackBerry. A direct trade in program for instance all the BlackBerry phones you can provide and they will apply a trade in value right at point of sale alongside carrier trade in value and any retailer trade in value.
    11-21-13 10:35 AM
    I think there needs to be more marketing/advertising; however, it has to be the right kind of advertising. Information.

A re-introduction needs to take place. Clear up the misconceptions - maybe even poke fun at yourself in a classy way. Whatever you do, people need to know more than what is available. They need to know that this isn't the same BlackBerry. They need to be reminded of the history, and then reintroduced.

This isn't a one commercial thing, leave the SuperBowl type of ads alone. It needs to be a steady stream of commercials type of campaign. Littered all over your TV, product placements, full on blitz. Get Z10s in the hands of some of these start-up companies that are looking to save money (give them the phone for free). Especially the tech companies that will be the movers and shakers of the very near future; some of them might even start developing their own apps to use on the platform.

I think the biggest problem is lack of information, and brand image. Get the message out, get it out often and factually. Re-brand yourself as a company that is going to stick to what it says; and be an innovator. Be a company that listens.

Obviously this won't, can't, and shouldn't happen over night. This is also what I think needs to happen in the States (just a first step). Eventually, they will have to 'officially' do something about the apps situation.

*** Yes I know we can get apps easier with the new OS leaks. But when I say official it has to be easy enough for my 67yr old, bilingual mother, who is scared of computers to be able to do ON HER OWN. She has downloaded multiple apps with the push of a button. Do this, and somehow manage to keep security a priority at the same time and we are on to something.
    flyingsolid and keypad like this.
    11-21-13 10:38 AM
    I have a 9360 and while I have been chomping at the bit to get a BB10 phone I haven't yet. Mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to pay the $200 on contract price for the Q10 on Sprint =P

I think they should start with an email. Everyone with a BB device has an email to use BBWorld. Send an email saying something along the lines of "We notice you are still using an older BlackBerry device. Have you checked out the new BlackBerry 10 devices?" Then provide video introductions of the three devices. It would be as simple as that to let people know "hey, we have new phones!". A lot of people probably don't know since they more than likely have perfectly working phones and don't go to the carrier stores to check out the newest stuff.

Sure, device credits will entice people. But, there is only so much they can do since most of those devices will end up in a landfill.

I know it seems that they bet a lot on the launch of BB10, but I think they needed to get it out into the world at that time. Now that it has had time to develop and lots of great features are being added I think we will start seeing more marketing. Many people before said BB10 just wasn't quite there, so maybe BB wanted to avoid buyers remorse? Now that there is a lot of neat features going in, especially with 10.2.1, we may see BB go on the offensive with marketing.
    oqpq likes this.
    11-21-13 10:56 AM
    You should have put, 'in the USA' in the title of this thread because there's no problem selling BBOS devices around the world.
    11-21-13 11:20 AM
    How can BlackBerry convince legacy consumers to stay with BlackBerry and buy a new BB10 device?
    Offer free Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4 with every purchase of a BB10 device.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-21-13 11:22 AM
    Offer free Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4 with every purchase of a BB10 device.
    I'd sell the sh!tty Samsung phone straight away on eBay ... wouldn't even open the box.
    11-21-13 11:24 AM
    I'd sell the sh!tty Samsung phone straight away on eBay ... wouldn't even open the box.
    Still a bonus for you whether you use it or sell it. Make a much better Christmas gift then a BB10 device.
    11-21-13 11:27 AM
    You should have put, 'in the USA' in the title of this thread because there's no problem selling BBOS devices around the world.
    Divide the number of markets they are in against units sold - they have a big problem. Leaving that aside, not sure how BBOS sales relate to a thread about how to get users to switch to BB10...
    11-21-13 11:33 AM
    I make the counter-point that if BBOS devices can still be sold at profit (and there's still demand for them), why this total obsession with getting them all to buy an OS 10 device? Is it to milk money out of them? Because I am not sure it's really in their best interests just to switch because the company needs more money out of them.
    Toodeurep and za_berry like this.
    11-21-13 11:39 AM
58 123