To start off: this is more of a rant than anything of valid material. This is my 2 cent, opinions?

Some context: I work for a telecom and through various testing requirements and other methods (connections within the company), I manage to archive multiple devices which I rotate between on a minute to minute bases or use simultaneously. Currently on hand I have the iphone 5, galaxy s3, galaxy note 2, nokia lumia 620 (horrible, I compare this to a froyo android os) and within the last two weeks Q10. First of all I am huge blackberry fan. I started with the bold 9700 and never went back as I watched my friends leave the amazing world of bbm to an iOS system (yes, they are not techy by any means). Through work, I beta tested the Z10 before commercial release and I loved it. I love love the hub. I believe particular email hubs should have their own container - hotmail, so much garbage email it needs a container app - I would not sync the rest of my accounts together with that mess. However with work email, gmail, linkedin messages, texts, bbm, twitter, calls, voicemail, it makes sense to group them altogether with easy access. (Now contacts, different story. I don't want facebook and linkedin contacts sync together. I know you can turn that off in the contact book but when I go to compose texts, they are all still there... I have way too people in those networks that I have no need to have them in my phone. Thus I don't even add facebook to bb10 anymore. All browser action.)

My z10 broke down two weeks ago ... the battery just stopped charging (did I break a pin? did the battery die? no idea) and I have yet to actually explore why. I simply move on to the Q10 (yay work reasoning), and after multiple android keyboard apps, iOS keyboard, Z10 keyboard (far superior), I still really missed a physical keyboard. Q10 physically is amazing, the material is so light and feels great. However I like the bold 9900 keyboard better, the Q10 keyboard feels too soft. Anyway I played with sideloading a couple times on the z10 and the experience generally has been positive. Screen dimensions are the same with majority of large android brands. Q10 is completely a different story. I knew instagram has issues but still functional. I like instagram but it is an overrated photo sharing app - thus I can live. What I have the most difficult adjusting is the lack of a decent news feed app. A sideloaded Flipboard app on Q10 is difficult to navigate through without hitting every article even on the smallest font possible opinion. All 3rd party apps feel bloated, rough, and generally not functional. Even with the crappy screen interface on a sideloaded flipboard is still more functional than any 3rd party news app.

Blackberry needs to make high quality apps for its user base to make up the difference in standardization for the app ecosystem - especially to assist its Q10 user base. To award the consumer for taking the risk of not meeting the screen capacity of a sideloaded android port. Blackberry Travel - an amazing app. Blackberry Beta Zone - amazing execution, fast and easy. But a news app would hit a greater audience. There should be a Blackberry News.

Second item for Q10 - bring back alt + delete shortcut! I miss this so much. Yes, you can use touchscreen but what is the point of a physical keyboard. Shortcuts are part of human nature!

/rant off - for the moment, my two cents. Ironically Q10 is more like a personal phone and the iPhone I use more as a work phone due to testing.
    11-20-13 10:19 PM
    I just figured out how to resolve the problem with facebook contacts the other day. If you have a lot of fb contacts, this may prove to be somewhat tedious, but if you want the native fb app, it's worth it. I myself was using the android fb sideloaded, but it didn't load as quickly as the native. For awhile I was using a browser shortcut added to my homescreen. Neither solution was as good as native though. I went back to the native fb app and dealt with the contacts issue. But then the idea came to me. Even though fb contacts are turned off, they are still on the phone somewhere, thus showing up in search and elsewhere. So I decided to try turning fb contacts on, then deleting all of them. I turned fb contacts off again after deleting. Fb contacts no longer show up anywhere on my phone. Not in search or anywhere.

Posted from my Q10 running 10.2.1.1055 via CB10
    11-20-13 10:34 PM
    I am a news junkie too. I also have multiple devices as well. I use a different phone for news, but I remember CB raving about a news feed app. You might want to check out the CB apps section of the site. Each week, I think., they have a a "best apps" review page.

As far as OS features, most of the old BBOS features are on thw way, as soon as the developers figure out how to implement them on QNX. Java is now dead.
    To start off: this is more of a rant than anything of valid material. This is my 2 cent, opinions?

Some context: I work for a telecom and through various testing requirements and other methods (connections within the company), I manage to archive multiple devices which I rotate between on a minute to minute bases or use simultaneously. Currently on hand I have the iphone 5, galaxy s3, galaxy note 2, nokia lumia 620 (horrible, I compare this to a froyo android os) and within the last two weeks Q10. First of all I am huge blackberry fan. I started with the bold 9700 and never went back as I watched my friends leave the amazing world of bbm to an iOS system (yes, they are not techy by any means). Through work, I beta tested the Z10 before commercial release and I loved it. I love love the hub. I believe particular email hubs should have their own container - hotmail, so much garbage email it needs a container app - I would not sync the rest of my accounts together with that mess. However with work email, gmail, linkedin messages, texts, bbm, twitter, calls, voicemail, it makes sense to group them altogether with easy access. (Now contacts, different story. I don't want facebook and linkedin contacts sync together. I know you can turn that off in the contact book but when I go to compose texts, they are all still there... I have way too people in those networks that I have no need to have them in my phone. Thus I don't even add facebook to bb10 anymore. All browser action.)

My z10 broke down two weeks ago ... the battery just stopped charging (did I break a pin? did the battery die? no idea) and I have yet to actually explore why. I simply move on to the Q10 (yay work reasoning), and after multiple android keyboard apps, iOS keyboard, Z10 keyboard (far superior), I still really missed a physical keyboard. Q10 physically is amazing, the material is so light and feels great. However I like the bold 9900 keyboard better, the Q10 keyboard feels too soft. Anyway I played with sideloading a couple times on the z10 and the experience generally has been positive. Screen dimensions are the same with majority of large android brands. Q10 is completely a different story. I knew instagram has issues but still functional. I like instagram but it is an overrated photo sharing app - thus I can live. What I have the most difficult adjusting is the lack of a decent news feed app. A sideloaded Flipboard app on Q10 is difficult to navigate through without hitting every article even on the smallest font possible opinion. All 3rd party apps feel bloated, rough, and generally not functional. Even with the crappy screen interface on a sideloaded flipboard is still more functional than any 3rd party news app.

Blackberry needs to make high quality apps for its user base to make up the difference in standardization for the app ecosystem - especially to assist its Q10 user base. To award the consumer for taking the risk of not meeting the screen capacity of a sideloaded android port. Blackberry Travel - an amazing app. Blackberry Beta Zone - amazing execution, fast and easy. But a news app would hit a greater audience. There should be a Blackberry News.

Second item for Q10 - bring back alt + delete shortcut! I miss this so much. Yes, you can use touchscreen but what is the point of a physical keyboard. Shortcuts are part of human nature!

/rant off - for the moment, my two cents. Ironically Q10 is more like a personal phone and the iPhone I use more as a work phone due to testing.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:43 PM
    When you ask about a news app, do you mean a RSS feed app or just general news. I find between CBC, Globe, WSJ, and the Bloomberg apps any breaking news appears pretty quickly. The CBC also gives you the option of a regional view.

Between the WSJ and Bloomberg apps, you get access to pretty well any news that hits the wires and pretty quickly. Usually before it shows up on other sites.
    11-21-13 08:10 AM