Can someone tell my why Kabbee, an app for finding minicabs in London, needs access to all my personal data? Naturally that is a deal breaker for me. I get that it needs to send and receive data, but I don't want it accessing my files and I don't want it accessing my contacts (including the ability to delete them!)

I like the idea of being able to order a cheap minicab using my BB10 device, but why should I be expected to give up control of all of my personal information to do so? Naturally I won't allow it access but then I cannot use the app.

Anyone have an answer?
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-13 09:58 AM
    https://www.kabbee.com/Default.aspx?page_id=148

Page discusses their privacy policies and methods for changing and asking what type of information they have of yours and the purposes of it's use.
    11-19-13 10:06 AM
    Isn't modern technology wonderful...
    11-19-13 10:09 AM
    Hi!
    We would just like to mention that the personal information is only accessed if you choose to use our friend referral program. It is never accessed if you don't but we have to ask for permission up front. If you do use the referral program, the information is only used to send a one time message across our system to the friends you decide to share your code to, never for anything else. We hope you will use Kabbee, and we hope this reassures you. Please contact us on [email protected] if we can help further. Thanks!
    11-19-13 10:31 AM
    Hi!
    We would just like to mention that the personal information is only accessed if you choose to use our friend referral program. It is never accessed if you don't but we have to ask for permission up front. If you do use the referral program, the information is only used to send a one time message across our system to the friends you decide to share your code to, never for anything else. We hope you will use Kabbee, and we hope this reassures you. Please contact us on [email protected] if we can help further. Thanks!
    Perhaps mentioning that when your app asks for personal information would help. You could also place that information in the About section.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-13 11:09 AM
    I won't pick on this developer but too many apps seek these very broad permissions that they don't appear to need. Like the OP, I generally decline and remove such apps. I can understand this app might need my geo-location. But other apps don't need that type of info. Notepads, etc don't need access to personal info or contacts or calendars, etc.
    11-19-13 11:33 AM
    Hi!
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am reassured by your reply and I will now happily use the app. However, I think you must be losing lots of potential customers who never post to these forums. I'm not sure your referral programme is worth losing customers over. Maybe you should have a think about that. Hopefully you have a statistic on how many people download but do not activate the app.
    11-19-13 02:35 PM
    ...but it is still strange that BB10 tells me the app wants access to my contacts (which the referral programme needs) as well as access to my files (even ones stored in the cloud) which it cannot possibly need.
    11-19-13 02:39 PM
    https://www.kabbee.com/Default.aspx?page_id=148

Page discusses their privacy policies and methods for changing and asking what type of information they have of yours and the purposes of it's use.
    Thanks. The thing about this privacy policy (like most privacy policies) is that they can change it unilaterally by simply updating the page and they expect one to regularly keep reviewing the page for changes.
    11-19-13 02:45 PM
    Hi guys,

In the interest of consumer choice, I'd like to let you know what Minicabster offer a similar service to Kabbee and we'd love you to give us a try.

https://www.minicabster.co.uk/

Why not give us a test drive?
    11-22-13 05:20 AM
    ...but it is still strange that BB10 tells me the app wants access to my contacts (which the referral programme needs) as well as access to my files (even ones stored in the cloud) which it cannot possibly need.
    I've seen a lot of apps that need file permissions because they save settings and such and couldn't figure out (or otherwise decided against) using the persistent storage. That could be what's going on here.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:45 PM
    When you install an app and the dialogue pops up with app permissions, unselect any permissions you don't want to allow. I didn't allow foursquare any permissions. It didn't break the app, or my phone.

Posted from my Q10 running 10.2.1.1055 via CB10
    11-24-13 09:31 PM
    When you install an app and the dialogue pops up with app permissions, unselect any permissions you don't want to allow. I didn't allow foursquare any permissions. It didn't break the app, or my phone.

How do you unselect them? There is no check box next to the items.
    11-25-13 12:24 PM
    There are always checkboxes for app permissions when I install 3rd party apps. If you're not seeing a blue checkbox next to the app permissions in the dialogue box that appears when installing an app, I'm not sure why that is. But you can also try this. Go to Settings>Security and Privacy>Application Permissions, then scroll through the list and click on any app that you would like to change permissions for. Then turn any permissions you don't want to allow to off.

11-25-13 12:58 PM