Smartphone ecosystems now are essentially what make an operating system. One of the biggest complaints against Blackberry has been that they simply do not have the big name applications, Netflix, Instagram, Vine... just to name a few. It's gotten to the point that those developers simply do not want to port or develop their application for Blackberry 10, and who can blame them? Blackberry takes up a slim percentage of total smartphone usage and sales. I know as a Blackberry user I definitely want popular applications so I can be on trend and do things like follow my friends on Instagram and connect in that way. Other people need those apps for their business which is understandable, why go for a phone that is going to not let you do your job? You aren't going to.

Here is what I wish for Blackberry. There are talented developers making apps for Blackberry. We have someone developing a Vine app all on their own just for us. That is wonderful! I really want that developer to keep working. It is a shame that their talent, time and effort is being spent bring an app that already exists to our operating system. I wish they could spend time developing new ideas and making beautiful compelling apps for Blackberry. That is exactly what Blackberry is missing. Blackberry World is full of mediocre cash grabs. There are some gems but they are few and far between and hardly unique. What I wish for Blackberry is for someone, anyone, to develop an application that is beautiful, useful, sleek and compelling. People buy phones for their ecosystems. We need some shiny diamonds in ours. I understand the desire to get other applications that are already hot onto Blackberry but what if we had exclusive applications that OTHER people wanted to get onto Android and iOS? That would generate positive publicity and a consumer desire. Right now consumers have little reason to purchase a Blackberry. IF there was a few really quality applications (that didn't cost $4.99) I think there would be more demand for the phones.

I have said this before, Blackberry needs compelling software that is accessed thru their hardware. We need, and I desperately want, something that is built for Blackberry that other people will want but cannot have! I know it sounds selfish and greedy but that would make Blackberry attractive.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tyler Nellissen; 11-18-13 at 06:39 PM.
    11-18-13 06:29 PM
    Am I missing something here. With 10.2.1.xxx Blackberry is number two for apps. Ie BB10 can now run all Android apps but android cannot run all BB10 apps so doesn't that vault BB to number 2
    11-18-13 06:47 PM
    Am I missing something here. With 10.2.1.xxx Blackberry is number two for apps. Ie BB10 can now run all Android apps but android cannot run all BB10 apps so doesn't that vault BB to number 2
    Playing catch-up is not a good way to make consumers come to Blackberry. They see, oh I can get Android apps on Blackberry so I am just going to get this cheap Android phone.

What I am saying is that we need apps that people want on Blackberry that people on Android and iOS actually want. Not just knock off equivalents or ports. Something unique to Blackberry that is high quality and desirable.
    11-18-13 06:50 PM
    Playing catch-up is not a good way to make consumers come to Blackberry. They see, oh I can get Android apps on Blackberry so I am just going to get this cheap Android phone.

What I am saying is that we need apps that people want on Blackberry that people on Android and iOS actually want. Not just knock off equivalents or ports. Something unique to Blackberry that is high quality and desirable.

This is a really interesting suggestion. I'm not sure how it would play out but I am fairly certain side loading isn't a solution for anything. I don't think the app situation will be fixed unless you can go to the Google Play store on a BB and download an app and it will work like on an Android phone.
    brianatbb, bbq10l and kbz1960 like this.
    11-18-13 06:57 PM
    I have said this before, Blackberry needs compelling software that is accessed thru their hardware. We need, and I desperately want, something that is built for Blackberry that other people will want but cannot have! I know it sounds selfish and greedy but that would make Blackberry attractive.
    Thoughts?
    Why would a developer even want to develop an application that is unique to Blackberry to which, as you have implied, "everyone would want but can't have"? If it was that unique, wouldn't the developer want to release it to the platforms to which have the largest installation base, i.e., iOS & Android in order to reap the return; that is, more sales?

I'm not discounting your notion - it's an interesting idea - but I just can't for the life of me see something like this actually occurring; no developer is going to develop something that is so wanted and unique while at the same time restricting their potential purchases to 1.8% (3rd Quarter, Blackberry Global Market Share %, Gartner, 2013) of all cell phone owners.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    11-18-13 07:06 PM
    Am I missing something here.
    Yes
    With 10.2.1.xxx Blackberry is number two for apps. Ie BB10 can now run all Android apps but android cannot run all BB10 apps so doesn't that vault BB to number 2
    No.

The market has shown people don't want the Blackberry experience. If people want Android apps, in developed markets they will buy a Samsung Galaxy line, or some other high end Android phone. They are not going to rush to buy Blackberry so they can run Android. It makes no sense.
    Same for emerging markets.
    11-18-13 07:08 PM
    There will never be an app that only we have that Android and iOS users will want other than maybe BBM. Reason being is that they will get it and won't have to change anything anyway. There is not one app that will get people to switch to a BlackBerry. Even if there was some game or productivity app that was only available on BlackBerry, developers will make something similar in no time. Due to the amount of people on those platforms that app, not the original, will become well known and plastered everywhere only on Google Play or iTunes. It is the advantage Android and Apple have right now. That advantage is popularity.

Well we don't have to pay $10 for Docs-to-go at least.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    11-18-13 07:22 PM
    LOL.

Yes. Yes it does.
    11-18-13 07:24 PM
    LOL.

Yes. Yes it does.

In the same way that Jimi Hendrix had special made amps that went to "11" on the volume dial. Same amps that others had. Just different dials.
    Tre Lawrence and h20work like this.
    11-18-13 07:36 PM
    snip...Well we don't have to pay $10 for Docs-to-go at least.
    No longer a defining factor:
    9-19-2013 Google makes Quickoffice mobile app free for everyone (iOS and Android, that is)

"The company on Thursday announced that its Quickoffice mobile app, for viewing and editing Microsoft Office files, is now free to anyone with a Google account. Previously, the app was only free to Google Apps for Business subscribers -- everyone else had to shell out $14.99 for the pro version or $19.99 for the pro HD version."
    11-18-13 08:22 PM
    Why would a developer even want to develop an application that is unique to Blackberry to which, as you have implied, "everyone would want but can't have"? If it was that unique, wouldn't the developer want to release it to the platforms to which have the largest installation base, i.e., iOS & Android in order to reap the return; that is, more sales?

I'm not discounting your notion - it's an interesting idea - but I just can't for the life of me see something like this actually occurring; no developer is going to develop something that is so wanted and unique while at the same time restricting their potential purchases to 1.8% (3rd Quarter, Blackberry Global Market Share %, Gartner, 2013) of all cell phone owners.
    The notion I guess depends on people who like us for some reason favor BlackBerry. I'm sure there are developers out there who also like BlackBerry. Or, BlackBerry themselves need to start pumping higher quality apps similar to BlackBerry Express.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:23 PM
    No longer a defining factor:
    9-19-2013 Google makes Quickoffice mobile app free for everyone (iOS and Android, that is)

"The company on Thursday announced that its Quickoffice mobile app, for viewing and editing Microsoft Office files, is now free to anyone with a Google account. Previously, the app was only free to Google Apps for Business subscribers -- everyone else had to shell out $14.99 for the pro version or $19.99 for the pro HD version."
    Well there goes that notion right out the f'n window. Well thanks for the heads up I guess.
    11-18-13 10:53 PM
    Do grown ***, mature people really care about BS services like Instagram and vine? And worse, on their 3-5 inch phones? Video/ movie services is one thing, but on your 3-5 inch phones? That's what your computer and tablet are for.
    11-19-13 08:49 AM
    Do grown ***, mature people really care about BS services like Instagram and vine? And worse, on their 3-5 inch phones? Video/ movie services is one thing, but on your 3-5 inch phones? That's what your computer and tablet are for.
    Well yes some grown *** mature people care about those services because they own a small business and it is part of the social engagement/marketing they (and many many others) are using to stay connected to costumers.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-13 08:54 AM
    Those are the very small minority. I'm talking about in general. What grown ***, mature adult cares about vine, Instagram or any of the other BS services, especially on their phone? I can understand the little hype kids caring.
    11-19-13 09:00 AM
    Those are the very small minority. I'm talking about in general. What grown ***, mature adult cares about vine, Instagram or any of the other BS services, especially on their phone? I can understand the little hype kids caring.
    Plenty of businesses use these as valid ways to keep in touch with customers.

There are endangered people that use Instagram to communicate.

Twitter is used to save lives. Literally.

You don't have to use them, but it's not smart to overlook them.
    11-19-13 11:18 AM
    LOL.

Yes. Yes it does.
    Can you please provide a link with proof of this? Preferably from stat counter.
    kbz1960, h20work and Tre Lawrence like this.
    11-19-13 11:42 AM
    Can you please provide a link with proof of this? Preferably from stat counter.
    LOL.

Not shocked at the statement, but why stop at second? Why not proclaim it as #1? And the best part? S4BB is now the most prolific developer in the world.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-13 12:04 PM
    As noted by Tre Lawrence, there are lots of business uses for these. Another is that currently there is a vey useful Twitter feed on the presentations at most scientific meetings. It allows people there to see how others are responding to the talk and it allows those unable to attend the meeting to learn about the latest results. It doesn't always contribute much, but at its best it actually adds considerably to the scientific content of the meeting by fostering ongoing discussions of the presentations.

In addition, focusing on these apps, vine, etc. misses the larger point that a wide range of software for everything from task and project management to work group bulletin boards that are available for iOS and Android have left BB as a real non- player in productivity in my opinion.
    11-19-13 12:21 PM
    Plenty of businesses use these as valid ways to keep in touch with customers.

There are endangered people that use Instagram to communicate.

Twitter is used to save lives. Literally.

You don't have to use them, but it's not smart to overlook them.
    J P Morgan and twitter were a match made in heaven.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:31 PM
    Yup, a lot of users here on the site who have been around quite a while are caring a lot about Instagram, all earlier protestations to the contrary.

I'm a grown, mature professional woman. I care a lot about Instagram because I like to use it. And I don't always carry my computer or my tablet....I like my phones that fit in my pocket or my purse.

Why should I deny myself something I like because some users don't care for it? Don't care for it, don't use it. All I know is that many many complainers who ridiculed Instagram are now gleefully grabbing APKs from questionable sources to get Instagram on their phones.
    11-24-13 07:26 AM
    If grown *** people didn't care about these things then shouldn't BBRY be at #1?
    Poirots Progeny and bbq10l like this.
    11-24-13 07:36 AM
    [QUOTE=Tyler Nellissen;9570774]

"What I am saying is that we need apps that people want on Blackberry that people on Android and iOS actually want. Not just knock off equivalents or ports. Something unique to Blackberry that is high quality and desirable."

That ship has long sailed. If it made any sense we'd then need to quantify how many unique apps would make the desired difference - 1,000? 100,000? A million? No one knows the answer so I deem it a futile discussion.

Q1o
    11-24-13 11:30 AM
    To continue my thougt from above (hit post by mistake) - how can BlackBerry in-house devs ever compare with 3rd party devs?...Or why would a 3rd party dev NOT want to write apps for the market leaders?...

Imo BlackBerry needs/should be able to attract new users for reasons other than apps, apps, apps. It should strive to have the best and sleekest OS - and we all know that's a tough one to keep up, but i'm sure they have lots of patents at work. Hardware design, the security (I know, almost a painful cliche already, but meaningul one! ) all these should come together in a way that the company tips.

Q1o
    11-24-13 11:42 AM
    To continue my thougt from above (hit post by mistake) - how can BlackBerry in-house devs ever compare with 3rd party devs?...Or why would a 3rd party dev NOT want to write apps for the market leaders?...

Imo BlackBerry needs/should be able to attract new users for reasons other than apps, apps, apps. It should strive to have the best and sleekest OS - and we all know that's a tough one to keep up, but i'm sure they have lots of patents at work. Hardware design, the security (I know, almost a painful cliche already, but meaningul one! ) all these should come together in a way that the company tips.

Q1o
    I agree. I might buy a bigger screen Q or a Slider if they make them because their physical keyboard models are what I need.

If I were to get a candybar phone I would probably go with Nexus or Apple. Better camera with the iphone, better build and apps seem to run better in my opinion. The Nexus is cheaper with a bigger screen and no bloatware. The Z's are just not up at this level right now.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-24-13 at 12:14 PM.
    11-24-13 12:04 PM
27 12