Functional trackpad?

A trackpad ( or roller ball) that replaces ( or duplicates) swipe functions.

Method of employment

- works like normal trackpad when not depressing it.

- when depressed these would be some of the functions
    * depress and swipe right [ u r in hub]
    * depress swipe right without lifting finger [ peek function]
    ***depress once [ brings you to root of hub]
    *depress and swipe up [ take u out of hub or closes app]
    * depress swipe up and hold [ minimizes running app]
    **** depress twice ( double click) [ take u to top of hub or top of page

Etc...

So many advantages for this over using bezel swipes

+ shrink size of top and bottom bezels.
    + eliminate accidentally swipe out of applications ( ie. I swipe out of hub a lot when flicking a word from the fret above space bar)
    + eliminate the repeated swipe attempts trying to close an app
    + as phones get bigger it would allow functions to be added to use one hand to do anything ///////

Eg. Of facilitating one hand operations on large phablet.
    Long press and scroll down -- this releases the frame of an app from the boundary of the display frame. Now you can touch a link on a web page or input text in a text box that would normally be out of reach of your thumb.
    Click the track pad a the app snaps back to its boundary.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:06 AM
    You know it's not going to happen...

Posted via CB10
    djdragon, curvezzz and drewread like this.
    11-16-13 09:08 AM
    You know it's not going to happen...

Posted via CB10
    I will guess they are going to have to eventually.

Phablets are here to stay. People are going to want more functionality in landscape mode. The home screen with all the apps and access to pull down tray, the peek function etc.
    With no side bezel swipe ability now, how do they implement this.

With the track pad it will auto rotate it's function with the screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:50 AM
    Functional trackpad?

A trackpad ( or roller ball) that replaces ( or duplicates) swipe functions.

Method of employment

- works like normal trackpad when not depressing it.

- when depressed these would be some of the functions
    * depress and swipe right [ u r in hub]
    * depress swipe right without lifting finger [ peek function]
    ***depress once [ brings you to root of hub]
    *depress and swipe up [ take u out of hub or closes app]
    * depress swipe up and hold [ minimizes running app]
    **** depress twice ( double click) [ take u to top of hub or top of page

Etc...

So many advantages for this over using bezel swipes

+ shrink size of top and bottom bezels.
    + eliminate accidentally swipe out of applications ( ie. I swipe out of hub a lot when flicking a word from the fret above space bar)
    + eliminate the repeated swipe attempts trying to close an app
    + as phones get bigger it would allow functions to be added to use one hand to do anything ///////

Eg. Of facilitating one hand operations on large phablet.
    Long press and scroll down -- this releases the frame of an app from the boundary of the display frame. Now you can touch a link on a web page or input text in a text box that would normally be out of reach of your thumb.
    Click the track pad a the app snaps back to its boundary.

Posted via CB10
    I like the idea of a trackpad on something like the Q10, but this scenario you describe, well frankly, it's awful.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz and vgorous like this.
    11-16-13 10:03 AM
    I like the idea of a trackpad on something like the Q10, but this scenario you describe, well frankly, it's awful.

Posted via CB10
    Thank god I didn't have to be the one to say it.

That's a personal preference my friend. Which is okay, and may work for others too. But probably not for the masses. Don't hold a grudge against BlackBerry if they don't do this.

It's highly unlikely they will. They can barely pay for advertising. So this thread will never see the light of day.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 10:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I do agree I should have put this on the q10 thread as it is much better suited.

But as far as the all touch BlackBerry's go, I still see them having to adopt something like this. Whether it incorporates a button i in the back (ie lg) and a screen swipe at the same time or whatever way they choose to emulate this.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 10:17 AM
    Are you kidding me? I prefer the swipes far more than the "trackpad" I had on my bold. Once you get used to all the swiping motions it's way better. I vote no way to the "trackpad".

Posted via my awesome Q10
    franchise22 likes this.
    11-16-13 10:25 AM
    I'm going to call it what it is:

Trackpadphobia.

For some people, the idea that others want to use a device with a trackpad is upsetting to them: their own identity, their grasp of reality, their entire world view is based on the notion that God made full-touchscreen devices that don't have trackpads, and he didn't make "Adam and Steve".

So, for BlackBerry to release a BB10 device with a trackpad would some how (in ways they can't articulate) negatively impact them. Perhaps God is vengeful and if they do nothing to discourage development and release of a BB10 device with a trackpad, God will punish them for their inaction?

I don't know, but it is baffling that so many Members of CBNation feel compelled to post on pro-trackpad topics to publicly declare their trackpadphobia.

The device you trackpadphobes want exists. You may already own it. Congratulations, I hope you'll be very happy together.

If BlackBerry can develop and manufacture a BB10 device with a trackpad and produce and market it at a profit, that can only be good for BlackBerry Ltd. (it may actually be another factor in favour of BBOS users considering upgrading to this BB10 device)... But as we all know in the BlackBerry community: H8rs gonna H8.

Don't be discouraged: eventually After trying everything else (like telling people who want a trackpad that they really shouldn't /don't want a trackpad) and BB10 sales continue to stagnate, eventually someone at BlackBerry will realize that you can't achieve BBOS feature parity unless the device has a trackpad... and to get those holdout BBOS users on board, someone may finally, grudgingly, authorize the design and production of a BB10 device with a trackpad: and Adam and Steve will be vindicated.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-13 10:47 AM
    I'm going to call it what it is:

Trackpadphobia.

For some people, the idea that others want to use a device with a trackpad is upsetting to them: their own identity, their grasp of reality, their entire world view is based on the notion that God made full-touchscreen devices that don't have trackpads, and he didn't make "Adam and Steve".

So, for BlackBerry to release a BB10 device with a trackpad would some how (in ways they can't articulate) negatively impact them. Perhaps God is vengeful and if they do nothing to discourage development and release of a BB10 device with a trackpad, God will punish them for their inaction?

I don't know, but it is baffling that so many Members of CBNation feel compelled to post on pro-trackpad topics to publicly declare their trackpadphobia.

The device you trackpadphobes want exists. You may already own it. Congratulations, I hope you'll be very happy together.

If BlackBerry can develop and manufacture a BB10 device with a trackpad and produce and market it at a profit, that can only be good for BlackBerry Ltd. (it may actually be another factor in favour of BBOS users considering upgrading to this BB10 device)... But as we all know in the BlackBerry community: H8rs gonna H8.

Don't be discouraged: eventually After trying everything else (like telling people who want a trackpad that they really shouldn't /don't want a trackpad) and BB10 sales continue to stagnate, eventually someone at BlackBerry will realize that you can't achieve BBOS feature parity unless the device has a trackpad... and to get those holdout BBOS users on board, someone may finally, grudgingly, authorize the design and production of a BB10 device with a trackpad: and Adam and Steve will be vindicated.

Posted via CB10
    I think your mistaken sir! The majority of us have experienced what a track pad looks and feels like on an all touch device, A La BlackBerry 9380 curve.

Please BlackBerry, make a functional trackpad-bbos-9380.jpg

And although that might have been a good phone, it along with other OS7 devices don't come close to the operating experence you can have with a BB10 device. What you and others fail to acknowledge is that it was time to move on. Make a drastic change to the BlackBerry OS and devices so that it can appeal to users we currently don't appeal to. Users who didn't grow up during BlackBerry's period of smartphone supremesy.

There might be a place for BlackBerry's with a track pad but I don't see it without limiting the all gestured based OS BlackBerry has moved towards. You want to place blame, put on change....something everyone has a problem with.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    11-16-13 12:04 PM
    I came from a track pad when I owned the 9800&9810 I liked it a lot but it had issues mine would freeze if I went to fast on it I did a lot of battery pulls to reset it so I wasn't surprised that they went full touch using gestures . But when I decided to evolve and upgrade to BB10 I knew I would have to change and adapt to the new platform. I'm glad I did.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 01:22 PM
    I do agree I should have put this on the q10 thread as it is much better suited.

But as far as the all touch BlackBerry's go, I still see them having to adopt something like this. Whether it incorporates a button i in the back (ie lg) and a screen swipe at the same time or whatever way they choose to emulate this.

Posted via CB10
    No yoour right. Post on z10, a trackpad without keyboard why not.
    If you concider q10 as business phone and z10 as more of a media device add a trackpad to z10 and a few games that are suited to trackpad and you have a a device thats a decent phone with better games than andriod or iphone.
    11-16-13 02:02 PM
    A scroll wheel on my z10 would be perfect!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    11-16-13 03:16 PM
    For me I meant it mainly as a means of replacing swipe gestures. I would toggle off bezel swipe gestures and use the track ball or track pad for those gestures.
    And like surepress on the storm worked, you would press down on the little track pad and then swipe in the direction of the you would need to replicate desired swipe functions.
    I find the swipe functions as they are, a little frustrating at times and limited. And they don't lend themselves very well to landscape phone use.

I also thought be able to click, double click or click and hold would add so much more functionality than you can get from bezel swipes alone.
    Also you wouldn't have to reach to the top of the phone to pull down the utility menu.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 03:40 PM
    I also should have made the title "bezel swipe replacement."It seems when you mention the " term track" pad some people get a put off.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    11-16-13 03:46 PM
    They added a trackpad; it's called the screen.
    djdragon likes this.
    11-16-13 04:44 PM
    NO! This is not needed.
    11-16-13 05:12 PM
    11-16-13 05:14 PM
    Boo urns. It?s not worth giving up screen real estate any more.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 05:38 PM
    Do people really think a BlackBerry phone with a trackpad is going to help turn around the declining sales???
    11-16-13 05:39 PM
    Dear OP. Never going to happen.

Z10 10.2.0.1791 via CB10
    11-16-13 05:43 PM
    Being gone from my trackpad is a heaven for me to not take care the pad, not trackpad again...

Channel : C000FA856 | Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    11-16-13 06:13 PM
    press and swipe? ....oh come on....

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    11-16-13 07:31 PM
    Do people really think a BlackBerry phone with a trackpad is going to help turn around the declining sales???
    Maybe as much as removing it entirely increased sales a million percent - oh, wait, an all touchpad device did not drive up sales and appeal to the masses. Hmmm.

Swiping I can go either way. Honing in on editing issues - BRING BACK THE TRACKPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the swiping is inconsistent, too. Why can't I swipe fully in landscape mode? Why can't I swipe an app closed (ala Playbook) rather, I have to hit that tiny, little X to close an app, often enough full-sizing the app rather than closing it.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    11-16-13 08:51 PM
    I think your mistaken sir! The majority of us have experienced what a track pad looks and feels like on an all touch device, A La BlackBerry 9380 curve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBOS 9380.jpg 
Views:	1101 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	221436
    "Majority? no. no majority of anyone anywhere ran the full-touch Torches. The slider's, yes, they were everywhere, but the full touchscreen torches were the rarest of all BlackBerry OS devices.

And although that might have been a good phone, it along with other OS7 devices don't come close to the operating experence you can have with a BB10 device.
    ..because it's running BBOS, not because it has a trackpad.

What you and others fail to acknowledge is that it was time to move on.
    Time to move on from BBOS, yes, but not time to move on from the BB form factor of keyboard / hard buttons / pointing device.

If you're saying the HARDWARE form factor had to be discarded, I challenge that statement. It's just bogus and unsupportable, especially in light of the failure of BB10 full-touch screen devices in the marketplace. That's what people have been saying against the trackpad for months and months, and it's totally a unsupportable statement. I state with confidence that the Q10 (which wasn't a roaring success either) would have done better if it DID have the full BBOS hardware complement of buttons and trackpad and, while running BB10, behaved a lot more like a BBOS / 9900. I would love to be proven wrong (which would mean such a device would be put into production.)

Make a drastic change to the BlackBerry OS and devices so that it can appeal to users we currently don't appeal to. Users who didn't grow up during BlackBerry's period of smartphone supremesy.
    That sounds great in November of 2012... but is that meant to be a joke, now, in November of 2013, when obviously "we" don't appeal to hardly anyone at all? I mean, that strategy failed spectacularly, so are you still saying it was the right one?

There might be a place for BlackBerry's with a track pad but I don't see it without limiting the all gestured based OS BlackBerry has moved towards. You want to place blame, put on change....something everyone has a problem with.
    I certainly can imagine how a trackpad could be integrated into BB10 without affecting the full-touch user experience one iota... I'm sorry you can't but let's extrapolate:

Let's suppose that BlackBerry continues to operate as they are. No change to their strategy or structure... except that the BlackBerry 11 device range includes a device like that Torch, with trackpad and hard buttons... as well as a Z10-like full slab touchscreen and a Q10-like touchscreen+keyboard... and you were GUARANTEED, despite your not being able to design the user interaction / workflow yourself, you were GUARANTEED that the user experience for your full touchscreen device would not be impaired or changed from BB10 IN ANY WAY by the fact that another device exists that DOES have a trackpad... would you still lobby against the production of a BlackBerry 11 device with a Trackpad?

I wonder what it is that BBOS users were doing with a BlackBerry so that they no longer see the value of the trackpad, and why, if they prefer a full touch-screen, they want to use a BB10 device rather than fleeing to the much greener pastures of Android or iOS like so many ex-BBOS users. While we're waiting for BB10 to hit BBOS feature parity, or waiting for Instagram or whatever other apps people miss... full-screen BB10 fans could be on Android or iOS NOW, and all they'd be waiting for is an app that duplicates the functionality of the Hub: it's just an app that's about 2 months "Summer of Code" away from being totally replicated on Android or iPhone... I guess it's fair to say that if an Android device came out that had an app like the Hub, and had a trackpad and keyboard and full touchscreen, many BB10 fans would drop BB10 like a hot brick... BB10 is completely unlike BBOS so there's not the "familiarity" factor... but BlackBerry is the handset vendor most likely to see the error of their ways and build a device that brings back the one handed operation perfection that was BBOS... so I'm still pining for a trackpad, because of the broken promise of BB10 being designed by UX experts for one-handed operation... it's better than iOS or Android, but not perfect. Lacking the trackpad, we'll call trackpad-less BB10 devices a "disappointment".

They added a trackpad; it's called the screen.
    If you ever owned a BBOS device, did you ever do more than send poorly-spelled text messages and tweets on it? If you had, I think you would have a different opinion of the value that a trackpad has over a full touchscreen.

For sales of the BB10 devices to be "declining" they'd have to have been at a respectable point to begin with, no?

You know there's a line of devices that sold TENS OF MILLIONS, maybe even HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of devices... they were called "BlackBerrys" and they had these hard buttons and a navigation device and a full qwerty keyboard, and people LOVED them. Then, these full touchscreen devices running BB10 came out and hardly ANYONE loves them. HARDLY ANYONE. More people love BBOS devices than love BB10 devices. It's pretty much a fact that is illustrated by the fact that so many BBOS users are still using BBOS but they're not bothering to upgrade to BB10, nor switching to a low cost Android or Windows Phone. So, I for one DO think that if BlackBerry brought out a device with a trackpad, well, THEY COULDN'T DO ANY WORSE, could they?

Clearly, lots of people, yourself included, don't think so... but your no-trackpad phone is the legendary international failure phone of 2013. Congratulations. And the obligatory "I love my Z30" statement is made... but a Z30 WITH HARD BUTTONS AND A TRACKPAD so much more words can't really describe it... and it's becoming a "love that dare not speak its name" having so many supposed "BlackBerry Fans" who, by their own choice of smartphones, are trend-buckers, trying to "bully" other people NOT to buck a trend (the tedious boring two-hands-required-pretty-much-all-the-time full touchscreen trend that is just not solving all the problems that a trackpad can solve.)

Again, to those saying "no trackpad" why are you saying that. Why not say "I don't need a trackpad." Or not say anything at all.

Posting "I don't want a trackpad" or "no, BlackBerry shouldn't make a device with a trackpad" (because you personally like your Z10 or Z30 or Q10 as it is) is just a hair's breadth away from an iPhone or Android user coming on CrackBerry.com and posting "BlackBerry should not make devices or an operating system."

It's, in a word,... well, there are lots of single words that this behaviour is. None of them are complimentary to the posters... so I'll leave it to your imagination to pick one.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-16-13 at 10:05 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-13 08:57 PM
    Maybe as much as removing it entirely increased sales a million percent - oh, wait, an all touchpad device did not drive up sales and appeal to the masses. Hmmm.

Swiping I can go either way. Honing in on editing issues - BRING BACK THE TRACKPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the swiping is inconsistent, too. Why can't I swipe fully in landscape mode? Why can't I swipe an app closed (ala Playbook) rather, I have to hit that tiny, little X to close an app, often enough full-sizing the app rather than closing it.
    Good points. The functional trackpad would work the same way in landscape as it would orient with the screen. Press and swipe right and your in the hub - consistent operation.
    It could also flash notifications. Your finger would go there to press and swipe right and your in the hub.

I to would like to flick apps closed like the PlayBook, instead of hitting that little x.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:19 PM
39 12