Just a personal thought, I think blackberry shouldn't produce anymore hardware if anything I vote for 1 device a year for now, they should get the software correct first. I'm starting to realize BB10 is great software but the hardware is subpar. The z10 is probably the most sold device yet the gave it really subpar hardware. We don't even get fm radio? I can't imagine how much more new things I'm going to miss out on because my hardware is already outdated which it shouldn't cause blackberry picked it.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 08:53 PM
    Just a personal thought, I think blackberry shouldn't produce anymore hardware if anything I vote for 1 device a year for now, they should get the software correct first. I'm starting to realize BB10 is great software but the hardware is subpar. The z10 is probably the most sold device yet the gave it really subpar hardware. We don't even get fm radio? I can't imagine how much more new things I'm going to miss out on because my hardware is already outdated which it shouldn't cause blackberry picked it.

Posted via CB10
    Gotta be two devices. QWERTY and TouchScreen.

But I see your point and I can't say it isn't valid, 'cept I don't see ANYTHING subpar with the current lineup.

FM Raio being that big of an issue when you can stream radios using Nobex over your data plan? Ok... Should have tried Miracast if you wanted me to agree with you.
    anon(8181885) likes this.
    11-12-13 08:58 PM
    They charge premium too when the devices launch.

The z30 screen lacks ppi density
    The z10 doesn't have mircast or fm radio.
    The q10 I think was great but the didn't optimize bb10 for it completely... example...home screen shortcuts
    Some q5s didn't get nfc**** not 100 on this but I believe certain things were left out.

I love blackberry hope they keep up the good work with 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 09:02 PM
    FM radio is something used to sell feature phones IMHO. I have a Sony BT headset dongle that will do FM if I need it, you can also buy wired headsets with FM tuner in it IIRC. Really on any moderately spec'd smartphone FM radio is a serious joke to me. I will not be burning up my battery to listen to FM radio when I have 45873495738452057 streaming option. Sorry I just can't get with you on FM radio support defining a high end phone. Any more I rarely listen to FM radio in my car. Terrestrial radio has become antiquated.

Q10 is getting there with the latest leaks, and BB needs a PKB device, anyone still sticking with BBOS is at least partially sticking because of that device type.

Not saying you don't have valid points, but I just think your points aren't the main shortcomings of any BB10 device. If anything the app argument holds much more water. Regardless BB can't stop producing new devices and hope to get the share of the app developers and the overall market. They need to continue to move forward with software and hardware if they want to succeed in any form of the company they used to be.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    11-12-13 09:15 PM
    They charge premium too when the devices launch.

The z30 screen lacks ppi density
    The z10 doesn't have mircast or fm radio.
    The q10 I think was great but the didn't optimize bb10 for it completely... example...home screen shortcuts
    Some q5s didn't get nfc**** not 100 on this but I believe certain things were left out.

I love blackberry hope they keep up the good work with 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    Q5 has NFC.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 09:48 PM
    Q5 has NFC.

Posted via CB10
    One of the models (can't remember which one off-hand) did not get NFC unfortunately.
    11-12-13 09:49 PM
    What they need to do is clear out all their inventory first. They can't afford to produce new phones.
    11-12-13 09:56 PM
    For the next 12 months there should be 4 phones max at any given time, 2 high end (touch/keyboard) and 2 low end (touch/keyboard).

Beyond that I think it's time to look at the sales figures and decide whether there is really any future growth to be had producing phones with physical keyboards. No other phone manufacturer on Earth is seeing growth with that form factor and I feel it's time for BlackBerry to move on. Yes the BlackBerry keyboard is "iconic" but so were the rubiks cube and floppy disks.

BlackBerry have already officially backtracked from 6 phones to 4 although having done this half way through the year it's left things a little messy. There's only one true high end phone in the Z30. The Q10 is being priced as high end but it's really what they intended for the mid range alongside the Z10 which itself is now being priced as low end even though it's the same spec level as the Q10.

The Q5 has always been in no man's land, being too highly specified to be initially priced at low end puts it too close to a Q10. It will probably have to sell at a loss to ever sell.

Unfortunately from a financial point of view there will be a huge write down coming soon for unsold Q10 inventory which will make things even worse for the Q5 as retailers slash Q10 prices unless the Q5 also has to be written down at the same time. There's more handset pain to come from this year's over ambition.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:06 PM
    One of the models (can't remember which one off-hand) did not get NFC unfortunately.
    All the BB10 phones so far have NFC, are you thinking of BBOS7 phones? The Torch 9850/60 didn't get NFC.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:07 PM
    All the BB10 phones so far have NFC, are you thinking of BBOS7 phones? The Torch 9850/60 didn't get NFC.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, I'm thinking of the SQR100-3 model of the Q5. It hasn't got NFC, unlike the 100-1/2.

Scroll down at this link a bit and it'll be listed there: http://www.bbin.in/en/2013/05/29/int...gional-models/
    11-12-13 10:12 PM
    They should definitely invent new things in bb10 and shouldn't stop with hardware. Probably license the BB10 OS and allow other mobile manufacturers to use it like Windows 8 phone...this will enable BlackBerry to penetrate more into the market and will help rise once again...

Posted via CB10 on lovely Z10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    11-12-13 10:21 PM
    I don't see a need for FM except in feature phones, as mentioned.

I also disagree the hardware is subpar. It may not have the world's fastest CPU, but it is not as bloaty as android so doesn't need it.

Plus anybody serious about mobile gaming, and goodness knows why'd they be, would never buy a BB10 device.

BlackBerry almost serves me perfectly. Just wish they'd give me S/MIME and PGP without BES10.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:34 AM
    Nope, I'm thinking of the SQR100-3 model of the Q5. It hasn't got NFC, unlike the 100-1/2.

Scroll down at this link a bit and it'll be listed there: http://www.bbin.in/en/2013/05/29/int...gional-models/
    Ah, a particular submodel of a model doesn't have NFC! That's bad, I wish BlackBerry wouldn't do this. A model of a phone should be a model of a phone with the same features throughout the world. An SQR100-3 may as well be called a Q4.99 as it's missing a bit! Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:51 AM
    Wrong.
    Do you see apple producing 1phone a year now?

BlackBerry needs to cover their user base and expand it. They'll be able to cover the low end with their next gen of phones because the minimum specs are no longer the mid to high end of the z10.
    That's why the q5 internal specs weren't all that much different. Only certain things were taken away to lower price.
    11-13-13 04:57 AM
    Ah, a particular submodel of a model doesn't have NFC! That's bad, I wish BlackBerry wouldn't do this. A model of a phone should be a model of a phone with the same features throughout the world. An SQR100-3 may as well be called a Q4.99 as it's missing a bit! Lol

Posted via CB10
    I never said it was a tragedy or anything, NFC is probably one of the most underused phone features available today anyhow. I'm just making sure the facts are straight.
    11-13-13 02:21 PM
    When 10.2.1xxxx officially drops the so called app gap will be filled then blackberry can concentrate on putting out quality hardware and let BB10 speak for itself. The general public has been fooled into believing specs and 1 million useless apps are a necessity when quality is what counts.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:08 PM
    They should definitely invent new things in bb10 and shouldn't stop with hardware. Probably license the BB10 OS and allow other mobile manufacturers to use it like Windows 8 phone...this will enable BlackBerry to penetrate more into the market and will help rise once again...

Posted via CB10 on lovely Z10
    Like I said in other threads. OEMs can't use BB10 cause of Android. Android OEMs signed a deal that they can't use OSes containing Android code which BB10 does have. Windows phone is a different case because it's pure Microsoft code. therefore OEMs can use it.
    11-13-13 04:35 PM
    For the next 12 months there should be 4 phones max at any given time, 2 high end (touch/keyboard) and 2 low end (touch/keyboard).

Beyond that I think it's time to look at the sales figures and decide whether there is really any future growth to be had producing phones with physical keyboards. No other phone manufacturer on Earth is seeing growth with that form factor and I feel it's time for BlackBerry to move on. Yes the BlackBerry keyboard is "iconic" but so were the rubiks cube and floppy disks.

BlackBerry have already officially backtracked from 6 phones to 4 although having done this half way through the year it's left things a little messy. There's only one true high end phone in the Z30. The Q10 is being priced as high end but it's really what they intended for the mid range alongside the Z10 which itself is now being priced as low end even though it's the same spec level as the Q10.

The Q5 has always been in no man's land, being too highly specified to be initially priced at low end puts it too close to a Q10. It will probably have to sell at a loss to ever sell.

Unfortunately from a financial point of view there will be a huge write down coming soon for unsold Q10 inventory which will make things even worse for the Q5 as retailers slash Q10 prices unless the Q5 also has to be written down at the same time. There's more handset pain to come from this year's over ambition.

Posted via CB10
    I think the Q10 probably outsells the Z10 but I'm not sure. Certainly on the US they are trying to give away the Z10 at carriers and selling Q10s the last time I looked. I think B&B can own the physical keyboard market. The physical keyboard market might be small but I don't see them competing on touch screens.
    11-13-13 05:18 PM
    When 10.2.1xxxx officially drops the so called app gap will be filled then blackberry can concentrate on putting out quality hardware and let BB10 speak for itself. The general public has been fooled into believing specs and 1 million useless apps are a necessity when quality is what counts.

Posted via CB10

Or the general public realizes that BB is missing lots of useful apps and the associated ecosystem and move to more capable devices.
    11-13-13 05:19 PM
    They still need something at the lower end around the �80 [ $120 US] price to satisfy the younger and occasional user.
    Early teens text and message like crazy and if they do not have a Blackberry they will buy something else and keep upgrading that brand.

I have a friend in the Uk , she hasn't got a lot of money being in her final year at university and not much of a socialite, I told her about Blackberry and after checking them out she gets a 9320 tomorrow , this is a customer Blackberry would never have if they only made the expensive phones. She is 22 many years purchasing power in her and she will in a few years able to afford top of the range phones.

Tho top of the range phones are only a small proportion of the market and there is probably more money in the lower end of the market as there is in the high end Chinese manufacturers know this.

Not everybody can afford a iphone/S4/Z30 so target your goods where there is a demand.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    11-13-13 05:45 PM
    Problem with two is that you can't satisfy both high and end low market for both touch and keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 06:17 PM
    They still need something at the lower end around the �80 [ $120 US] price to satisfy the younger and occasional user.
    This is exactly right in the UK market. The lack of a cheap BB10 has really hurt BlackBerry here all year. Carphone Warehouse dropping the Pay As You Go price of a Z10 to �150 will help a great deal for Christmas and January sales but there still isn't a direct BB10 replacement for those dirt cheap 9320s and there needs to be.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 11-13-13 at 07:03 PM.
    11-13-13 06:52 PM
    I think the Q10 probably outsells the Z10 but I'm not sure. Certainly on the US they are trying to give away the Z10 at carriers and selling Q10s the last time I looked. I think B&B can own the physical keyboard market. The physical keyboard market might be small but I don't see them competing on touch screens.
    The Q10 came out a few months after the Z10, give it time before the admission of defeat and a write down happens. I don't think the sales figures will be pretty and given that Thorsten publicly predicted it would sell tens of millions I fear they made far too many... again.

BlackBerry already own the physical keyboard market and have done for a few years, but not for a good reason, just because nobody else wants it or can make money out of it any more. The problem is the demand for physical keyboard phones is a shrinking market so it's suicidal for BlackBerry to focus on it. They need growth and there's only growth in the touch screen market if you have apps.

Plenty of hurdles for BlackBerry to overcome yet but the improved Android app capability and accessibility coming in the next OS release could help if played right.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:02 PM
    Problem with two is that you can't satisfy both high and end low market for both touch and keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    This is why I feel the long term strategy has to be to move away from physical keyboard phones which is a shrinking market as time goes on. Having to make both types at each price point will end up costing them too much in R&D and manufacturing compared to how many they are actually selling, which is pretty much the case with BB10 all this year come to think of it!

The growth potential is in all touch phones no matter which way you look at it, physical keyboard phones are not making a come back that's for sure. BlackBerry need to start beating Windows Phone with their touch phones on the hardware and software front but most importantly on sales and that will mean they are growing again. MS is the target.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 11-13-13 at 08:29 PM.
    11-13-13 07:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    I thought they did?
    The 9810 definitely did not have NFC
    11-13-13 07:24 PM
49 12