From what I can gather OS 10.2.1 will allow installation of .apk files directly on the device. Now, I've been sideloading for a long time and I still run across common applications that return with errors on installation (-9 error) particularly when that app calls on the google maps API, while there is a workaround that I've made use of it is far from being as simple as just converting to .BAR. Will this update open up the system in such as way as to prevent this type of error from occurring on applications downloaded from the Amazon store etc?

I ask because if ANY popular apps that you can find within another app store or download off the internet don't install properly this will blow up in BlackBerry's face. In other words, since this opens up the platform to application sources that do not directly support BB10 BlackBerry has to be damn sure that BB10 supports these application sources.
    11-12-13 02:27 PM
    it states when installing that they don't support it
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    11-12-13 02:33 PM
    I would say in the end, it is all speculation. This is not a build for public release, so nobody can really say a final public release will ever be built with this feature. There is always a possibility this function is only there for testing at this point and is known to not be stable for public release.

Also with the talk of sale recently who knows if this was a possible carrot to dangle in front of a potential purchaser. Too many unknown variables for anyone to really answer your question, anyone that can answer it would be under some form of NDA.
    11-12-13 02:34 PM
    You better let the BlackBerry engineering team know about this possible problem....

Many of these problems are because they never meant for Sideloading of apps to be a permanent choice. Just a tool to allow Android Developers to see how little was required to get their apps to work on BB10 - with every intention that they would convert their own apps and remap them to the required API's. But if BlackBerry were to unlock the Runtime and provide the necessary instructions... I bet a large number of apps could work without too much trouble.
    11-12-13 02:38 PM
    it states when installing that they don't support it
    I agree, but the average user that stumbles upon this feature or the press will jump all over it even though BlackBerry says it isn't supported. And unfortunately they would be correct in doing so, if this feature is implemented then it follows that BlackBerry wanted people to use it otherwise they would lock out the ability entirely.
    11-12-13 02:49 PM
    I agree, but the average user that stumbles upon this feature or the press will jump all over it even though BlackBerry says it isn't supported. And unfortunately they would be correct in doing so, if this feature is implemented then it follows that BlackBerry wanted people to use it otherwise they would lock out the ability entirely.
    BlackBerry puts in the disclaimer, they are safe as far as the law is concerned. If a user proceeds it's no different than someone not reading ToS before signing their name to something. They be sol
    11-12-13 02:51 PM
    I'm not saying they would be legally liable for any damage. What I'm saying is that it could be yet another PR blunder. Who knows, this may never be officially released or maybe they have somehow lifted the API restrictions. I have managed to get applications dependent on Google Maps running on my 10.2.0 Z10, so maybe they will fully incorporate this on the fly with a new update.
    11-12-13 03:00 PM
    This is what killed sideloading for me. Many apps I could get to work, but many I could not.
    11-12-13 03:04 PM