Downloaded Blackberry express and went through the instruction slides and was impressed until I came to the last slide. It gave two ways to use the presentation App.
    (1) through HDMI Cable. Terrible way to do a presentation.
    (2) Something called Miracast. My projector connects through Bluetooth but haven't a clue what Miracast is. How does one use miracast?
    11-12-13 12:37 PM
    Sorry, can't trust my eyes here... :facepalm:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    11-12-13 12:42 PM
    z10 doesnt have miracast so don't worry about it. Z30 does though.
    11-12-13 12:43 PM
    IMHO they should enable DLNA for the Z10. (that worked flawlessly on builds below 10.1.0.500) not sure if this is possible for BlackBerry express but I would like to have the opportunity to stream YouTube videos from the browser to my TV (again)

Miracast won't be possible on the Z10 hardware/software.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 12:48 PM
    dlna is enabled
    endevour likes this.
    11-12-13 12:50 PM
    dlna is enabled
    Hm no DLNA devices show up if I try to push the "play on" button on YouTube (from browser)
    Does this work for you? So maybe dlna is enabled in the video app but not device-wide.
    Maybe I am wrong, trying to figure that out now.

Posted via CB10

EDIT : Can confirm "Play On" is greed out playing videos from Browser. Videos played from file manager or videos app have the playon enabled.
    11-12-13 01:15 PM
    I think it'd be possible to stream any mp4 content via DLNA if the file is fully cached in the browser.

On the Z10 you could use an app like tubemate (sideload) to download the video to your device and play it via DLNA. I use a raspberry pi with xbmc running on top as my DLNA streamer.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 09:49 PM
    Hm no DLNA devices show up if I try to push the "play on" button on YouTube (from browser)
    Does this work for you? So maybe dlna is enabled in the video app but not device-wide.
    Maybe I am wrong, trying to figure that out now.

Posted via CB10

EDIT : Can confirm "Play On" is greed out playing videos from Browser. Videos played from file manager or videos app have the playon enabled.
    this function is actually for Miracast, the Playon feature is available only via the media apps (video, pics, music) as off OS 10.2.1.1055
    11-15-13 10:07 PM
    this function is actually for Miracast, the Playon feature is available only via the media apps (video, pics, music) as off OS 10.2.1.1055
    The funny thing is, streaming per dlna from browser worked on an earlier OS. Why remove it?

Using dlna I can also watch something different on my screen while streaming video
    Does that work for Miracast too or can I just mirror the screen?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:40 PM
    11-17-13 04:00 PM
    Pretty funny, actually NOT :P
    I know pretty well what Miracast is (being in hardware and software for more than 10 years now)
    But what I don't know (and you probably got the answer ) is if Miracast can mirror any screen (virtual screens included)

Additionally, having the same icon using different technologies (dlna, miracast, hdmi, playon,... ) might not be a good approach. At least I expect having more information that just a icon greyed out.
    11-18-13 07:20 AM
    Pretty funny, actually NOT :P
    I know pretty well what Miracast is (being in hardware and software for more than 10 years now)
    But what I don't know (and you probably got the answer ) is if Miracast can mirror any screen (virtual screens included)

Additionally, having the same icon using different technologies (dlna, miracast, hdmi, playon,... ) might not be a good approach. At least I expect having more information that just a icon greyed out.
    You and I have very similar background (software/hardware). I am glad you took my smart-alec posting in the humor that it was intended. :-)

As far as Miracast, I'll probably pick one up for Christmas. My understanding is that it will mirror ALL screens but I could be wrong on that. You may want to see if there are all ready postings in the forum about it. What do you mean by virtual screens? I have not heard that term before.
    endevour likes this.
    11-18-13 10:05 AM
    You and I have very similar background (software/hardware). I am glad you took my smart-alec posting in the humor that it was intended. :-)

As far as Miracast, I'll probably pick one up for Christmas. My understanding is that it will mirror ALL screens but I could be wrong on that. You may want to see if there are all ready postings in the forum about it. What do you mean by virtual screens? I have not heard that term before.
    Thanks for your reply! =D
    Virtual screen was a bit misleading.. I was rather thinking about some kind of secondary screen the device could use to display (or mirror with Miracast) different content than seen on the primary screen.
    I like the idea of having my phone work as a playlist screen (where I can edit or w/e) and mirroring another (secondary) screen with visual. The same could work for videos (using the primary screen as some kind of remote, while the secondary screen mirrors the actual video, without showing the remote interactions)

If I am not completly wrong, Miracast is just a replacement for an HDMI cable and works only over Wifi direct.
    Another restriction: Miracast can only stream audio in combination with video, audio alone is not possible right now
    11-18-13 11:21 AM