Since the upgrade to 10.2 a few weeks ago, the location services icon will frequently just pop up indicating something is using the gps. I've also noticed worse battery life since the upgrade, which I would imagine is related.

This happens even if I have no apps open, and after I do a reboot and don't open anything. Something in the OS is using the gps for no apparent reason several times every hour. It normally stays on for a few minutes then turns itself off again. Sometimes it stays on for over 10 Mins and I have to manually go in and turn off location services and then back on again.

Any idea what is causing this, and is it common?

I've been into app permissions and turned location services off for everything apart from BlackBerry travel and Bemaps pro. This has made no difference. I deleted apps which wouldn't let you turn location services off. Also made no difference. It has to be something in the OS and not an app. It's driving me mad, and I'm sure it's the cause of my poor battery life since the upgrade /:

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:53 PM
    Do you see anything in the app manager in the settings? You may want to stop some background services such as fourth square.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 05:02 PM
    Do you have any Android apps that use GPS?
    Ironically, Android apps can still run in background inside the Runtime.

Also, what method to reboot did you use?

I've noticed this a bit too, by the way. But I've noticed it since the 10.1 MR, not just since 10.2.
    11-11-13 05:04 PM
    It's the NSA tracking you. Or an app.
    rallen562 likes this.
    11-11-13 05:14 PM
    I deleted 4square ages ago, no use for it.

Every android app I've downloaded I have turned off gps permissions for or deleted, all that remains is what I previously mentioned.

I just did a hard reset using volume up and down keys. 3 kins later and all I have opened is bbm and cb10, and location services have turned themselves on again.

I've turned off location based adverts and traffic data collection.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 05:15 PM
    I had the same problem initially after updating to 10.2. I THINK it was Skype that was using the location services all the time, so I logged out of Skype and then logged back in (I may have even deleted it and reinstalled... i forget exactly) , and subsequent to that the location services have been working normally as they were back in 10.1. Give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:22 PM
    I had the same problem initially after updating to 10.2. I THINK it was Skype that was using the location services all the time, so I logged out of Skype and then logged back in (I may have even deleted it and reinstalled... i forget exactly) , and subsequent to that the location services have been working normally as they were back in 10.1. Give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for idea, I did try that last week, but it didn't help. So then i deleted Skype completely, also didn't work /:

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:37 PM
    Does the Device Monitor show anything running that you didn't know you and or that shouldn't be running?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 04:33 PM
    I have the same issue on the latest leak Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055
    No idea what's doing it but I haven't noticed a change in idle battery use so I won't blame that for ****ty battery
    11-18-13 05:00 PM
    Does the Device Monitor show anything running that you didn't know you and or that shouldn't be running?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, all the things running should be running. Only possibility is BlackBerry travel (which I've had other issues with).

I just don't get it /:

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:47 AM
    There is an app in BlackBerry World called Task Manager. It shows you what android apps are running and allows you to close them. When I see the location icon come up randomly, it's usually due to something running in the android runtime. Ending tasks shuts it off. Hope that helps!

Posted via CB10
    rallen562 likes this.
    11-19-13 11:50 AM
    If you stop BlackBerry Travel from within the app manager does it have any effect?

Also, although I know you've deleted Foursquare, there was an update to it that asked me if I wanted to allow the option to send my position all the time, even when Foursquare wasn't running. When I checked that option the location services icon was always on. As I say, I know you deleted Foursquare, but could this be a left over from when it was installed, since it somehow allowed location services to run when the app wasn't open? I know it's a long shot.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:01 AM