In the official specs, its stated that the Z10 supports m4a file format

BlackBerry 10 media support - BlackBerry Developer

however i cant get it to play on my z10, i get unsupported file format error. however, it plays on my old curve 9380. Anyone have any idea what i can do to get it to play? dont really want to go through the hassle of converting all those albums. thanks in advance
    11-10-13 09:36 PM
    Got a sample I can test?
    11-11-13 02:11 AM
    It usually plays on mine.

Z10 Love!
    11-11-13 02:28 AM
    I just got the whole music from my girlfriends iphone directly to my Z10... no problems at all (besides her taste in music, but that's ok)
    00stryder and GiantSchnauzer like this.
    11-11-13 02:39 AM
    The m4a extension means that the file uses an MP4 container, but it can be any codec inside. Usually m4a means AAC audio, but Apple Lossless can also be in there as you have found. Maybe if you bug BlackBerry they will add support, the codec is open sourced and can be used royalty-free. Or, perhaps there's already a third-party music app that knows how to play them.
    11-11-13 02:44 AM
    Wasn't the Curve 9380 the touch screen one? Haha how was that? I don't think I'll ever get to see one in person, since they didn't release them in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 02:52 AM
    Get neutron music player. It can play apple lossless.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 05:00 AM
    Wasn't the Curve 9380 the touch screen one? Haha how was that? I don't think I'll ever get to see one in person, since they didn't release them in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    hmm posted this too soon. the album art, tracks per album etc all appear correctly on the curve, but when clicking play it says unsupported. i've converted them to mp3 now, guess it wasnt too much of a hassle. i'll just use the mp3 ones on my ipad and blackberry's.

the curve 9380 suits my needs perfectly. its so tiny! but has a really nice HVGA portrait display, perfect for facebook etc. keyboard is good in landscape mode, but in portrait its quite cramped. as i use it mainly for info consumption, and short replies (sms, bbm, gtalk, fb comments) its not an issue for me. ppl who type long emails will not like it though. the FM radio is nice, audio quality via headphones seems better than my z10.

BIS plans in malaysia are so cheap, i use the curve when i'm in malaysia (approx 16 US cents a day for unlimited!!), and the z10 when i'm in singapore. Also like the fact even with heavy gtalk messaging the battery still lasts pretty much all day, and from 0% it can charge to 30% in about 10 minutes (takes about 45 mins-1hr for a full charge)

negative side is, the back cover and the screen are very easily scratched. luckily, i managed to find a complete new original housing for it on ebay dirt cheap. i now keep it in a case with a screen protector.
    11-11-13 11:34 AM
    The Z10 specs state that it doesn't support Apple Lossless (ALAC), but it does support FLAC, which is also a lossless format. So you should convert your ALAC files to FLAC.

BB could add support for ALAC, since the codec it's free to use, but they don't, for whatever reason. In the meantime, you need to download the Neutron app to play ALAC.
    11-11-13 12:26 PM