Even with the extra billion I fail to see exactly how they could make a comeback. Let's be completely honest, does blackberry really stand a chance? Even with the new CEO, they would need a miracle to survive the handset business. I love to stay optimistic but I just don't see how BB is going to do it.
    11-09-13 10:54 AM
    That is the question that's been asked for years now. It's an awfully slow death if they don't / can't.
    11-09-13 10:56 AM
    I just wish they came out with a Q30 before they crumble
    11-09-13 11:01 AM
    That is the question that's been asked for years now. It's an awfully slow death if they don't / can't.
    1. The company is not up for sale.
    2. They refused to break up the company
    3. They appointed a new CEO
    4. They got few people to invest 1 billion on the company.

All of this sounds like they got one last trick up their sleeves. Investors just don't invest in a company like BB unless they were convinced that it was worth their money.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-09-13 11:01 AM
    If they do, they won't be in the same form that they were 5 years ago. They will have to reinvent themselves somehow.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-09-13 12:34 PM
    BlackBerry has a foothold with bb10 now. That much is evident. They need to continue progressing and maturing the OS, and if they get Google Play that solves the app issue. They also need to release a super phone with the best stats for the time, even tho the OS doesn't need high stats, high stats sell, and get good reviews which creates sales.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 12:47 PM
    Why not? This is an ever expanding industry, customer base grows each minute in all geographies and BlackBerry has a vast knowledge base, good and bad experiences, a renewed leadership, support from shareholders and fresh money in the wallet. The company should know what it takes to get market share and regain the place it once occupied.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 12:48 PM
    Niche player

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    tack likes this.
    11-19-13 07:41 AM
    Apple did it. BlackBerry just needs to bring in the next cool thing.

Most might not know that apple was on the verge also until the iProducts were invented.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    11-19-13 07:45 AM
    Marketing themselves may help, LOL

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    11-19-13 07:57 AM
    No one really know if they will ever make a comeback... think to do so would require them coming up with some new technology at this point. Just playing catch-up is not going to do it.

For now hopefully they can find their niche, restructure the company to fit that niche and then possible start to expand out from there ... but to do that they will need a GREAT OS - which BB10 can be given time. And maybe in a few years the ecosystem will not matter and hardware will have become almost generic (like computers today).
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-19-13 09:42 AM
    1. The company is not up for sale.
    2. They refused to break up the company
    3. They appointed a new CEO
    4. They got few people to invest 1 billion on the company.

All of this sounds like they got one last trick up their sleeves. Investors just don't invest in a company like BB unless they were convinced that it was worth their money.
    The investment for them is low risk. They get interest on the loan, and in the event the company does fold, they will be at the top of the creditor list and know that the patents alone will cover the cost of the loan if the company were to get liquidated. BlackBerry has been sitting on close to $3 Billion in cash now for over a year, and done nothing with it. I fail to see how an extra Billion in the bank is going to dramatically change the way they do business or allow them to do some radical things needed to change the public perception of the word BlackBerry.
    11-19-13 01:57 PM
    Apple and Samsung make 21% profit on each phone. Bbry loses 55% on each phone.
    The more they sell, the more they lose.

Not looking good. Don't y'all be buying these stocks now, y'hear.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-19-13 08:42 PM
    Define "comeback".

For me, it's two straight positive earnings reports.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-20-13 08:45 PM
    Apple did it. BlackBerry just needs to bring in the next cool thing
    Is that all? Sounds fairly straightforward. Right?

No? Oh.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-20-13 08:57 PM
    An extra $1billion is nothing in the technology business, it's small money. Yes they have another 2.6 Billion in cash but again, it's not alot of money in this line of business, and you wouldn't want them to keep eating into that for too long.

I think the new CEO will be able to slim down losses and 'stabilize' the business overall, but given there is limited information regarding a complete turnaround strategy it's too early to predict much further.

However I do think it is the right call to keep the handset business and focus on services where margins are much larger.
    I would like to see a much stricter oversee of any future production of handsets so there's no foolish repeat of $1 Billion dollars of excess inventory, because really that is an amateur mistake.
    11-22-13 07:13 AM
    And it is a loan. First in line to get repaid, no risk, very high reward.

They need yet another strategy for this "comeback." They may have a niche toehold with BB10, but the devices are not selling, the Z10 (now written down) was a wreck, and no one knows how the Q10 or Z30 are selling and may never know.

What's the new strategy?
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-22-13 07:17 AM
    I'm tempted to respond with a simple "No", because I reckon BB's fate was sealed the day they announced the sale that wasn't. It didn't surprise me when it all fell through as BB is the company that can't execute anything and I've always believed the $9 sale was a FF scam to set a price floor. Even FF didn't really want to buy BB.

I suppose it all depends on how you define comeback. I could see a rump BB that does BES and BBM only (having dropped the handset business entirely) making some kind of go of things, but a resurgent BB just like it was is just a dream... BB don't have the money or the time.

I read on another thread an admission that the latest OS leak (the direct apk one) isn't stable yet, and the poster estimated that it might take another year before it's consumer-ready.

Hands up all those who think BB has another year to sort themselves out?

I guess the next ER might give more clues as to whether that remaining time is measured in weeks or months... or years.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-22-13 02:45 PM
    No..........
    11-22-13 04:09 PM
    No..........
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 12:34 AM
    No one knows, of course. I personally feel they'll do "better". But I think their days of making hardware are coming to a close. The "better" if it happens will come from software and services I think. If you look at the new CEO, he is actually someone who has shown vision in the past under very similar circumstances. I am an optimist in this, yeah. But competing on hardware seems ridiculously tough even if you are not BlackBerry.

But it is apparent we'll see some phones for an indefinite period of time.
    11-23-13 12:56 AM
    BlackBerry will make a comeback...In a Galaxy Far, Far Away. You need a CEO like Vader, to get the company back on track.
    11-25-13 11:20 AM
    BB needs to produce some new commercials with that extra billion dollars. Use Alicia Keys to pitch the product and make it look consumer friendly. At least make it look like your company is making a comeback.
    11-27-13 04:23 PM
    no shame in being a niche player, if Vertu can occupy a niche and keep 1k people employed so can BB to some degree
    11-27-13 06:24 PM
    How many times can they make a comeback? Their last chance was with BB10 in 2013. They failed.
    JeepBB and Hetrophant like this.
    11-28-13 10:05 PM
50 12