BBM Channel Feedback - Photo Resolution in BBM Channels is not good...i don't know if it's the channel owner or BlackBerry...my guess is that it's compression techniques used by BlackBerry...just like resolution on BBM.

I would like to see BBM Channels have only high quality photo and content and become a world class browsing space.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Chicago777Guy; 11-09-13 at 12:02 PM.
    11-09-13 10:40 AM
    Are you sure? The space channel looks great to me. C0012331C

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    11-09-13 10:45 AM
    I checked few channels and had this same issue...i will check space channel.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:52 AM
    Photo Resolution in BBM Channels sucks...i don't know if it's the channel owner or BlackBerry...my guess is that it's BlackBerry...just like resolution on BBM.
    For the love of god...fix this...we are in 21st century...buy server...space...whatever you need but fix it.

Posted via CB10
    Are you the guy I just banned for complaining on my channel about this
    11-09-13 10:53 AM
    Are you the guy I just banned for complaining on my channel about this
    No...but why would you ban someone from complaining on an issue he is seeing...Not a great business strategy.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:54 AM
    No...but why would you ban someone from complaining on an issue he is seeing...Not a great business strategy.

Posted via CB10
    1. The quality is fine as evidenced by every one else's contentment

2. It's a fun bbm channel, not a verified official one. I don't need to hear complaints for a free service I'm providing

3. Thank God it's not a business and I don't need a business strategy.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    11-09-13 10:58 AM
    Are you sure? The space channel looks great to me. C0012331C

Posted via CB10
    Checked that as well..i don't think photos are high resolution.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:59 AM
    1. The quality is fine as evidenced by every one else's contentment

2. It's a fun bbm channel, not a verified official one. I don't need to hear complaints for a free service I'm providing

3. Thank God it's not a business and I don't need a business strategy.
    Would you be saying the same thing when BBM Channels is launched to 80m people...no one is doing it for free...they are doing it because they know it could be huge down the line.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:04 AM
    Would you be saying the same thing when BBM Channels is launched to 80m people...no one is doing it for free...they are doing it because they know it could be huge down the line.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand what you have written here. I post pictures off the Internet on my channel. It's free for me to do and no one that is a subscriber is paying. I don't need complaints. I really don't understand where you are trying to take this.
    11-09-13 11:08 AM
    I don't understand what you have written here. I post pictures off the Internet on my channel. It's free for me to do and no one that is a subscriber is paying. I don't need complaints. I really don't understand where you are trying to take this.
    Ok...its your channel so your choice..my comment was in general to most of the channel owners who are taking it more seriously and would look to monetise it either as advertising or subscriber fees.

I don't think in general quality of photo on BBM Channels are of any good standard most likely due to compression techniques used by BlackBerry...My post is intended to bring this issue up in hopes someone from BlackBerry is reading this feedback.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:21 AM
    Ok...its your channel so your choice..my comment was in general to most of the channel owners who are taking it more seriously and would look to monetise it either as advertising or subscriber fees.

I don't think in general quality of photo on BBM Channels are of any good standard most likely due to compression techniques used by BlackBerry...My post is intended to bring this issue up in hopes someone from BlackBerry is reading this feedback.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to interject here, but I don't think anyone - verified or not - has the capability to monetize anything via Channels at this point. If in the future you believe they would, then fine. But if they're not now then this isn't really a fair thing to say.

I also don't want to accuse you of making any of this up because your experience is yours to describe and I can't see what you're seeing. I also don't know which specific channels you are viewing, but just to let you know, as Bold has said for him, all of the Channels that I've looked at are of great quality, for the most part. A few pictures here and there are lower in quality, but I attribute that to the pics themselves.

If you're not on a wifi network, it could be that the service is intentionally sending lower quality pictures to your device to save on bandwidth. I'm honestly not sure if this is even a feature of BBM Channels or not, but I would suspect that this might be happening for you.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:32 AM
    Sorry to interject here, but I don't think anyone - verified or not - has the capability to monetize anything via Channels at this point. If in the future you believe they would, then fine. But if they're not now then this isn't really a fair thing to say.

I also don't want to accuse you of making any of this up because your experience is yours to describe and I can't see what you're seeing. I also don't know which specific channels you are viewing, but just to let you know, as Bold has said for him, all of the Channels that I've looked at are of great quality, for the most part. A few pictures here and there are lower in quality, but I attribute that to the pics themselves.

If you're not on a wifi network, it could be that the service is intentionally sending lower quality pictures to your device to save on bandwidth. I'm honestly not sure if this is even a feature of BBM Channels or not, but I would suspect that this might be happening for you.

Posted via CB10
    I am at home with AT&T high speed Internet...I would like to see BBM Channels allow only high quality resolution photo and be a premier browsing space.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    If I have 600 subscribers and I post a link to a 99 cent product I am selling, and one subscriber buys it - that is called monetizing the channel to me. Completely possible right now.
    11-09-13 11:52 AM
    I dont see a problem with any pictures myself. But I also dont need to zoom in to see a piece of lint on a chair.
    11-09-13 12:01 PM
    it's def a compression thing, zooming in on any photo and you can notice a good amount of compression like a low quality jpeg
    11-09-13 12:49 PM
    it's def a compression thing, zooming in on any photo and you can notice a good amount of compression like a low quality jpeg
    Thanks You...looking at the responses I was beginning to think maybe it's just me.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 01:26 PM
    I am at home with AT&T high speed Internet...I would like to see BBM Channels allow only high quality resolution photo and be a premier browsing space.

Posted via CB10
    1.i do not have high speed Internet at home. BBM Channels are intended for mobile platform on quick info. At least, that is how I use it.
    2. The space channel images are good enough for me, since it is only intended to provide a quick abstract for some development. If I need details, I would go to the source using a computer to access MASA website.
    3. I constructed my channel (not the space one) using my bb7, fully aware of the limitation on both text and image. My intend is for my friends who have limited data plan and not always have access to wifi. For ex. On the go to remote places. The image quality on my channel is far inferior compare to the space one.
    4. May be you have a specific demand that require HD image, why not set up your own channel and ask any like minded soul to share with you HD only? Or provide link for your HD website for all your att unlimited data plan friends?

Posted via CB10
    jafrul likes this.
    11-09-13 01:29 PM
    I hate photo compression, it's absolutely stupid. You should atleast be given the option to not compress and vice versa.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-09-13 01:32 PM
    If you want a top class product you first make sure you have top class content.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 01:45 PM
    If I have 600 subscribers and I post a link to a 99 cent product I am selling, and one subscriber buys it - that is called monetizing the channel to me. Completely possible right now.
    I get what you're saying, but are you actually monetizing the channel? Or are you advertising your product via the channel? While you're potentially going to receive money via the referral that you made on your channel, your subscribers don't necessarily have to pay anything to participate on your channel, nor do you have to pay anything to BlackBerry to use your channel in this manner. Nor are advertisers paying BlackBerry or channel owners to promote their products via ad banners or anything of the like (yet). That's what I understood the idea of monetizing BBM Channels to mean, but of course that's just my interpretation of the situation.

I hate photo compression, it's absolutely stupid. You should atleast be given the option to not compress and vice versa.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    I think it stems from the fact that BBM still goes through the NOC, which historically used data compression for messages and multimedia to save on cellular data usage (notice on BB10 you only send/recieve low-quality pics in your BBM chats unless the receiver explicitly request a HD version). In this day and age with more widespread wifi availability, I would think BlackBerry would give us the option to choose whether to send/receive low-quality media, like they allow devs to implement in their third party apps, but I guess it hasn't happened yet (if at all, though I think it will).

I don't want to make it seem like Chicago Guy doesn't have a legitimate concern here, because he does. I was just saying that the low-quality pics have not been my experience personally, and that at this stage in the Channels' lifespan it's not as if we're paying to use/view these feeds. I still agree that pics should be high-quality by default, but with this whole thing being beta there's a lot more to be done with it before it's ready for Primetime.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 01:59 PM
    Its funny i never hear these complaints about facebook or twitter when people take pictures with their 8,13 41mp camera phones and they're downgraded to fit on the Facebook servers lol.

Point every major photo sharing application and social network does it. At least BlackBerry guves you the option of choosing a higher quality.

Sometimes i think people want to complain because its BlackBerry.

Jesse its time to cook.....
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-09-13 02:31 PM
    Its funny i never hear these complaints about facebook or twitter when people take pictures with their 8,13 41mp camera phones and they're downgraded to fit on the Facebook servers lol.

Point every major photo sharing application and social network does it. At least BlackBerry guves you the option of choosing a higher quality.

Sometimes i think people want to complain because its BlackBerry.

Jesse its time to cook.....
    I think the issue that the OP and other posters here have is that BBM Channels does not give you the option to choose a higher quality, even though the option is there in BBM chat. In addition to that, even with the option in regular BBM chat, I think the concensus is that by default people want high-quality pics and would like the option to choose a lower quality version if needed.

Posted via CB10
    Henraay0623 likes this.
    11-09-13 03:42 PM
    I get what you're saying, but are you actually monetizing the channel? Or are you advertising your product via the channel? While you're potentially going to receive money via the referral that you made on your channel, your subscribers don't necessarily have to pay anything to participate on your channel, nor do you have to pay anything to BlackBerry to use your channel in this manner. Nor are advertisers paying BlackBerry or channel owners to promote their products via ad banners or anything of the like (yet). That's what I understood the idea of monetizing BBM Channels to mean, but of course that's just my interpretation of the situation.

I think it stems from the fact that BBM still goes through the NOC, which historically used data compression for messages and multimedia to save on cellular data usage (notice on BB10 you only send/recieve low-quality pics in your BBM chats unless the receiver explicitly request a HD version). In this day and age with more widespread wifi availability, I would think BlackBerry would give us the option to choose whether to send/receive low-quality media, like they allow devs to implement in their third party apps, but I guess it hasn't happened yet (if at all, though I think it will).

I don't want to make it seem like Chicago Guy doesn't have a legitimate concern here, because he does. I was just saying that the low-quality pics have not been my experience personally, and that at this stage in the Channels' lifespan it's not as if we're paying to use/view these feeds. I still agree that pics should be high-quality by default, but with this whole thing being beta there's a lot more to be done with it before it's ready for Primetime.

Posted via CB10
    If someone wanted to give me an advertisement image to post on my channel and give me money I could do that to right now. There are ways to make money using channels right now if you really want to
    11-09-13 04:12 PM
    That's true, I'm just saying that BlackBerry hasn't officially designated the methods of monetizing the channels. I think that functionality is certainly coming in the future. At least from the perspective of advertisers.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 04:44 PM
    They may be compressed a bit but not too bad. I appreciate this compression as if I go to a channel that has thousands of post of pics, as soon as I go to that channel, it starts to load so that it's a seamless scroll down the page. If they were full resolution, that would eat up a lot of data when doing it multiple times per day.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-09-13 04:59 PM
35 12