Hello. Odd question. I am in the US next week for business and Verizon has the Z10 on sale for $300 no contract until the end of the month (so I was told when I called). Can I buy it from Verizon outright (they said they would unlock it for free) and put in a new Sim card from Rogers and use it when I come back to Canada without issue? This is new to me. Just trying to stay away from another contract.

Would I have any issues doing updates to new OS, etc. Or if it crashes, warranty wise? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.
    11-08-13 05:02 PM
    I believe OS updates are based on carrier SIM. Big thing to look at would be bands that Bell operates on a bands that VZW operates on, I don't think you will get LTE but I could be wrong.
    11-08-13 05:11 PM
    It would not be a good idea to buy a Verizon Z10 for use on Rogers. The Verizon Z10 does not have Rogers' LTE bands, or their 3G/HSPA+ bands. So, at best, you'd get 2G speeds.

If you want to purchase a US Z10 for use on Rogers, buy one from AT&T, T-Mobile, or directly from BlackBerry. If you buy from BlackBerry, the phone would come unlocked.
    11-08-13 05:14 PM
    Would that match the competitors price in the US?
    11-08-13 05:15 PM
    Most likely no. Carriers are in the business of selling service, and BlackBerry is, well, BlackBerry.
    11-08-13 05:21 PM
    Would that match the competitors price in the US?
    I doubt they would without contract, you can always try.

Off contract thru Amazon right now is $400 for an ATT version
    11-08-13 05:22 PM
    just looked at AT&T and they have it for $340, assume that is a great price, compared to anything we have in Canada. not sure if they is too many Blackberry stores in Fort Lauderdale. But AT&T and T-Mobile, assume there is a few for sure.
    11-08-13 05:24 PM
    Just so you know, unless you have a third party wrangle it for you, AT&T does not unlock phones for non-customers (though if you're a former customer, you're good). Even if the phone was purchased out of contract, it has to be registered on a live line of service for a minimum of two months, and then a purchase receipt has to be faxed in, in most cases. Don't buy phones from carriers if you don't plan on using them with that carrier.
    11-08-13 05:44 PM
    that is odd, in Canada you can buy on any carrier, unlock it and away you go. not forced to be with the one you buy it with.
    11-08-13 06:32 PM
    that is odd, in Canada you can buy on any carrier, unlock it and away you go. not forced to be with the one you buy it with.
    That's not what the previous poster is referring to. Around the world, any third party unlocker will free your phone of its carrier for a fee. Through a carrier, especially for little or no fee, you need to be on their network for a set period of time. Same exists in Canada with the big 3. I believe it's 90 days.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 06:39 PM
    I'm seeing new Z10s on eBay going for $250 locked to AT&T. You can buy unlock codes from eBay as well for $20.
    11-08-13 07:27 PM
    That's not what the previous poster is referring to. Around the world, any third party unlocker will free your phone of its carrier for a fee. Through a carrier, especially for little or no fee, you need to be on their network for a set period of time. Same exists in Canada with the big 3. I believe it's 90 days.
    Except in the US, it's technically illegal to unlock a carrier-sold phone in the US without the selling carrier's consent.
    11-08-13 07:37 PM
    When I talked to Verizon rep, she said they could unlock it on the spot if I bought it outright. Only downside I learnt via this thread is that it is not compatible with Rogers network. Thanks for all the insight!
    11-08-13 07:58 PM
    Except in the US, it's technically illegal to unlock a carrier-sold phone in the US without the selling carrier's consent.
    I tried one and got rid of it. No warranty. On your own the moment you get. Not1 03 model. Old stock. Mine was a Malaysian model. Could.not update to latest software.
    Even buying a phone direct from BlackBerry is without warranty

Proudly posted by an Essex Lad with Z10
    11-08-13 08:04 PM
    I did quite a bit of reading, on both T-Mobile and AT&T, and I have to be a customer in order to buy it outright and unlock it. I figured it would be easier than that. Once again thanks for all your input. Will try anyway and see what they say.
    11-11-13 08:23 AM
    You may have more luck with T-Mobile than AT&T at buying a phone outright and asking for an unlock code.

There's also the option of buying directly from BlackBerry. Those STL100-3s are factory unlocked.
    Last edited by raino; 11-11-13 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added link
    11-11-13 10:31 AM