I have been reporting daily partial freezes of the Q10 and sending log files to BB support for the last month. They finally thought it was a hardware problem and had me replace the device. But starting from a fresh setup (no restore from a backup), the freeze continues to occur on the new device. It seems that support has been unable to determine why this keep happening. I would like to know if others are seeing similar freezes to what I describe below. I am running the latest ATT version, 10.1.0.2030.

The hub is frozen in that you are unable to scroll up or down or select a message for display. The touch screen does not react to any touches (what I call touch events). But the hub is able to display new messages as they arrive. You can return to the main display and scroll through apps with no problem. But, if you start any app, you are not able to close that app. When you start a second app, you are able to close the first app but not the second. The last app started is always unable to be closed. In addition, most touch events are being lost while this goes on. For example, if you run the calculator app, some of the keys displayed on the touch screen will work, but the bulk of them are ignored. But if you are persistent and touch the ignored key over and over and over and over, as much as more than a minute, you may finally get the touch event to be recognized. It is as if the OS is busy doing something and does not have time to check if the touch screen is being touched.

It has been difficult at best to obtain log files when this is occurring as depending upon where the Help app is located on the screen, you may or may not be able to start it. So I have moved the app to a location on the app display screen that seems to allow me to start it when this problem occurs. Once the Help is started, you have to keep pressing the Support option repeatedly for a long time before you can get to the screen where you can capture a log file that you can send to support for examination. And even when the screen is reached to create a log, you need endless touches of the screen to select the two fields that must be filled out before you can generate a log file.

A power off reset is necessary to get out of this. The restart icon does not work since it is located at a position on the screen where the touch event is being ignored.

I just learned of the 5 swipe hub reset gesture before posting this message, so the next time the hub freezes, which happens a few times a day, I will see if a hub reset alone will get it working again. It will be interesting to see if that gesture both gets the hub working again and ends up unblocking whatever keeps the last app from being closed.

Please post if you see similar freezes. BB support does not seem to have any insight into what is going on and I can't believe that I am the only one seeing this.
    11-08-13 06:07 AM
    I have been reporting daily partial freezes of the Q10 and sending log files to BB support for the last month. They finally thought it was a hardware problem and had me replace the device. But starting from a fresh setup (no restore from a backup), the freeze continues to occur on the new device. It seems that support has been unable to determine why this keep happening. I would like to know if others are seeing similar freezes to what I describe below. I am running the latest ATT version, 10.1.0.2030.

The hub is frozen in that you are unable to scroll up or down or select a message for display. The touch screen does not react to any touches (what I call touch events). But the hub is able to display new messages as they arrive. You can return to the main display and scroll through apps with no problem. But, if you start any app, you are not able to close that app. When you start a second app, you are able to close the first app but not the second. The last app started is always unable to be closed. In addition, most touch events are being lost while this goes on. For example, if you run the calculator app, some of the keys displayed on the touch screen will work, but the bulk of them are ignored. But if you are persistent and touch the ignored key over and over and over and over, as much as more than a minute, you may finally get the touch event to be recognized. It is as if the OS is busy doing something and does not have time to check if the touch screen is being touched.

It has been difficult at best to obtain log files when this is occurring as depending upon where the Help app is located on the screen, you may or may not be able to start it. So I have moved the app to a location on the app display screen that seems to allow me to start it when this problem occurs. Once the Help is started, you have to keep pressing the Support option repeatedly for a long time before you can get to the screen where you can capture a log file that you can send to support for examination. And even when the screen is reached to create a log, you need endless touches of the screen to select the two fields that must be filled out before you can generate a log file.

A power off reset is necessary to get out of this. The restart icon does not work since it is located at a position on the screen where the touch event is being ignored.

I just learned of the 5 swipe hub reset gesture before posting this message, so the next time the hub freezes, which happens a few times a day, I will see if a hub reset alone will get it working again. It will be interesting to see if that gesture both gets the hub working again and ends up unblocking whatever keeps the last app from being closed.

Please post if you see similar freezes. BB support does not seem to have any insight into what is going on and I can't believe that I am the only one seeing this.
    Mate, try reloading the software -- it solves most of the problems. I actually had a similar problem: my Q10 would randomly get really, really hot and when it'd happen the touchscreen wouldn't be receptive at all, among other problems. I reloaded the software and it seemed to have solved it all... :-D
    11-08-13 08:21 AM
    Mate, try reloading the software -- it solves most of the problems. I actually had a similar problem: my Q10 would randomly get really, really hot and when it'd happen the touchscreen wouldn't be receptive at all, among other problems. I reloaded the software and it seemed to have solved it all... :-D

Reloading the software has already been tried more than once along with wiping the device before the reload. This has not stopped the freeze's from happening. And this has been done across both q10's. The physical device is not running hot as was the case you reference. And remember, this is happening on more than one device now, so it does point to a software problem and not a hardware one.
    11-08-13 08:38 AM
    Reloading the software has already been tried more than once along with wiping the device before the reload. This has not stopped the freeze's from happening. And this has been done across both q10's. The physical device is not running hot as was the case you reference. And remember, this is happening on more than one device now, so it does point to a software problem and not a hardware one.
    Ah, bad luck then!
    11-08-13 08:57 AM
    Any sideloaded apps?
    11-08-13 09:06 AM
    I get random freezes. Sometimes, I tap and highlight an email or text I can't untap. Sometimes, nothing happens and I need to reboot. Many times I find myself tapping, tapping, tapping away, trying to get the device to react...usually it finally does.
    11-08-13 09:09 AM
    My touch screen problems seem to be related to making and answering calls. Since being invited to upgrade my software (a couple of months ago) I keep finding that either I can't end a call because the End Call screen touch doesn't respond, or I get stuck in my Contacts list and can't return to the menu or the hub screens. Emails and text messages keep coming in, so the phone isn't totally frozen, but the only way I can get out of the screen I'm stuck on is to switch the phone off.
    I took it to my nearest Vodafone shop as it's only a few months old. But, being an intermittent problem, it wouldn't replicate for their technical help 'child' and he just implied I was incapable of using a swipe screen delicately enough. So it was a relief to find that someone else has been having problems.
    Is there no keyboard alternative to exiting a screen if there's a problem with an unresponsive touch event? I'll look up how you perform the 5 swipe hub reset you mention but really I feel like just changing the phone. It's a great shame because I've had quite a few Blackberrys and have always liked them.
    11-27-13 03:05 AM
    Any sideloaded apps?
    ^^^ yes, do you have any apps sideloaded?
    11-27-13 09:00 AM
    There is never any apps running when the freeze occurs. It happens several times a day across two different Q10's. Lost touch events makes it hard to generate log files because parts of the touch screen stop working. As if the device is busy doing other things and misses that the screen was touched. Sent support a backup file to attempt to duplicate these freezes occurring several times a day. Support has found nothing in more than two months of daily freezes. Sometimes the device is frozen when I check the hub fist thing in the morning after it was sitting untouched for hours. Running 10.1.0.2030 which is the most current AT&T release. There are newer releases but AT&T won't allow them to be used. This is an incredibly annoying problem as oftentimes just when you have an important message or text received, you need to reset the device to read it. Worse if you have a missed call or reminder message and you can't quit out of the screen because the touch events are being ignored. End up resetting several times a day. And support has no other app to capture log files than the help app which requires many inputs before a log is generated which is hard to manage when the touch screen only runs randomly during the freeze situation. This is a major problem that has been happening daily for months now. Same exact symptoms on ever freeze. This needs some serious escalation to engineering at BB. Still trying to determine if they have done so.
    11-28-13 10:42 AM
    same as my Q10 symptom, I just got to load the latest 1055 rom. this situation persist after reloading 1055. I just use the wifi to transfer files between the PC and Q10.

Do you use the Wifi to transfer file between the laptop and Q10?
    11-28-13 07:51 PM
    I get it sometimes to on my t-mobile q10.

Q10
    11-28-13 07:52 PM
    same as my Q10 symptom, I just got to load the latest 1055 rom. this situation persist after reloading 1055. I just use the wifi to transfer files between the PC and Q10.

Do you use the Wifi to transfer file between the laptop and Q10?
    What software release are you on? Mine is 10.1.0.2030. Same exact symptom - hub frozen but can receive messages, can't close last app started and touch screen mostly ignores input? Have you reported it to support? Have you sent any log files to support? How many contacts do you have in your contact list? How often does it happen? I have been trying to find others who are experiencing the same issue as support will not indicate how serious this bug is affecting users.

No I only sync using BB-Link using a cable not wifi. I do periodic backups and sync with outlook. Do you do syncs? With what for contacts ando calendar? Let's see how similar or different the usage is. I get a lot of email and text messages each day.
    11-28-13 08:54 PM
    I get it sometimes to on my t-mobile q10.

Q10

Can you answer the same questions I asked riversides? It will help me with support if I can show several others experiencing the same problem. This is extremely annoying that I need to reset mynq10 several times a day.
    11-28-13 09:01 PM
    Pease let me know if you have experienced this problem and have the same symptoms I have reported. After more than two months of daily freezes requiring several resets per day, Blackberry support has been unresponsive in responding with a status on determining why this is happening. Perhaps if more people were found to be having the same issue, they would escalate a fix to the problem.
    12-03-13 10:31 PM
    I have been reporting daily partial freezes of the Q10 ...

Please post if you see similar freezes. ...
    I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms that you described. My device is Z10STL100-3, running OS version10.2.0.1803. Rebooting my phone clears the problem until it's next occurrence. I reboot by simultaneously pressing and holding the up and down volume keys.
    12-09-13 01:07 AM
    I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms that you described. My device is Z10STL100-3, running OS version10.2.0.1803. Rebooting my phone clears the problem until it's next occurrence. I reboot by simultaneously pressing and holding the up and down volume keys.
    Thank you Eywong for letting me know you have a similar problem with the hub freezing. When it happens do you find that you can still open an app but can't close it? If you bring up the calculator app do you find that it might recognize some button presses on the screen and not others? Do you find that the hub will still update and accept new messages but you can't select them? That you can't scroll the hub up or down? Do you find that if you miss a telephone call when this condition happens, that you get a missed call message that you can't quit out of because the device will not recognize the touch screen entry?

I am trying to get this problem escalated as it seems pretty serious to me. Support had me change to a new device thinking it was a hardware problem but it is obviously a software problem. You are on a Z10 and me on a Q10 and I am on 10.1 software and you on 10.2. So they have a basic problem that they are not admitting to. But I send them nearly daily reports and logs for more than 2 months to build up a case for escalation.

Have you reported this to support? If so, can you give me the case number so I can link these cases together?
    12-09-13 06:55 AM
    Thank you ...
    Q: When it happens do you find that you can still open an app but can't close it?

A: Just as you previously described:
    The hub is frozen in that you are unable to scroll up or down or select a message for display. The touch screen does not react to any touches (what I call touch events). But the hub is able to display new messages as they arrive. You can return to the main display and scroll through apps with no problem. But, if you start any app, you are not able to close that app. When you start a second app, you are able to close the first app but not the second. The last app started is always unable to be closed.?
    Q: If you bring up the calculator app do you find that it might recognize some button presses on the screen and not others?

A: I have conducted no such experiments. I concur with your finding. I perceive that some screen touches seem to elicit no response.

Q: Do you find that the hub will still update and accept new messages but you can't select them?

A: Yes.

Q: That you can't scroll the hub up or down?

A: I don't remember. For now, I'll say "no."

Q: Do you find that if you miss a telephone call when this condition happens, that you get a missed call message that you can't quit out of because the device will not recognize the touch screen entry?

A: No direct experience. If it happens again, I'll call myself from another phone and report results in this thread.

Q: I am trying to get this problem escalated as it seems pretty serious to me.Support had me change to a new device thinking it was a hardware problem but it is obviously a software problem. You are on a Z10 and me on a Q10 and I am on 10.1 software and you on 10.2. So they have a basic problem that they are not admitting to. But I send them nearly daily reports and logs for more than 2 months to build up a case for escalation.

A: Good luck. I appreciate your effort. Btw, whenever I have seen the problem, my phone has been idle for a while and I don't remember what I did beforehand. I probably read new messages. Also, it hits me infrequently -- usually, several days between occurrences.

Q: Have you reported this to support?

A: I have not reported this to RIM/BB because AT&T has not released OS 10.2.0.1803 for my device. I had this problem also on OS 10.2.0.1791 and the currently official AT&T OS 10.1.0.2074, but I didn't report it. Your post is the first I have read of this seemingly rare issue. I figure RIM/BB will try to solve when there is sufficient clamor.
    Last edited by eywong; 12-09-13 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Corrections & additions
    12-09-13 10:39 AM
    Your post are long and I may have missed this, but if you are not sideloading any apps, it's pretty odd that this happened on two phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 01:48 PM
    ... if you are not sideloading any apps, it's pretty odd that this happened on two phones.

Posted via CB10
    My side-loaded apps seem to work ok. Judging by these forums, many others side-load apps, too, without apparent detriment to operation of their phones.

Please elaborate on your characterization that this is "pretty odd."
    12-09-13 03:27 PM
    Does anyone have this issue, that doesn't have any apps sideloaded?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:31 PM
    Does anyone have this issue, that doesn't have any apps sideloaded?
    I encountered this issue in OS 10.1 before I started dabbling with side-loaded apps. So in my case, anyway, that would eliminate side-loading as a causal factor.
    12-09-13 03:59 PM
    I have very few apps loaded on my Q10 other than those that come with the device. Just a few games, Evernote, and DropBox loaded from BB World. But I hardly ever use any of the apps. Yet the freeze happens several times a day. The backup of Q10 #1 was not used to create Q10 #2 to eliminate the potential of the data from one corrupting the other. 2-1/2 months of annoying daily freezes now.
    12-12-13 08:08 AM
    Blackberry support claims they have determined the reason for this failure

They state it is a known bug that development has logged as issue DT7073919.

They indicated that the Q10 periodically validates the Blackberry ID of the device. If it fails to validate in 5 retries, it is supposed to back off for a while. But right now it seems to be sending an internal task into a continually running loop, which essentially eats up most of the CPU time running the device. It will lose screen touch events and they indicated it will also hang up the hub. They claim this is fixed in rev 10.2 but this release is not yet available on ATT to which my device is connected. So the freeze will continue until ATT releases new software.

The one concern though is that at least one person reported a similar problem under the version 10.2 they had. My issue continues on a daily basis.
    eywong likes this.
    12-20-13 10:57 AM
    ATT will not provide any information with regard to when they will be releasing version 10.2 to its customers
    12-20-13 11:32 AM
    They claim this is fixed in rev 10.2 but this release is not yet available on ATT to which my device is connected. So the freeze will continue until ATT releases new software.
    In an earlier post, I said that I intermittently have this exact same issue on my Z10 STL100-3, running OS 10.2.0.1803. That continues to be the case. I have not reported it to BlackBerry and AT&T because OS 1803 is not "official" for my AT&T phone.
    Last edited by eywong; 12-20-13 at 01:07 PM.
    12-20-13 12:48 PM
27 12