It happened... I couldn't resist and I finally made the decision. I replaced my PlayBook as my tablet after almost 2 years of good use. I made this decision not because the hardware started to deteriorate or the software became sluggish. As a matter of fact, my PlayBook is still operating like a star.

It all happened when I was on a science conference in Turkey last week. I saw so many people using iPads, Nexus' and Samsung Tab's.. I always see that so I proudly used my BlackBerry PlayBook with keyboard when needed. Enjoying the multitasking, Docs to Go, the excellent browsing experience, the gestures and the picture quality (still good enough today). I would have loved to have bigger screen but, hey, its BlackBerry!

HOWEVER, during the conference it suddenly struck me when I started using someones Microsoft Surface and the new Nexus 7 at some point. My PlayBook suddenly felt slow, sluggish and old. While all these tablet had many possibilities and apps, my PlayBook was not even able to play my favorite NetFlix series, lacked basic science/news apps and just felt poor overall. I'm already using the Z10 quite a while so I knew the PB's browser was not as fast as I thought it was, but after using the Surface its felt ridiculous. When my PlayBook suddenly refused to pop up the keyboard, and eventually froze on me I was done! After I came back from Turkey I immediately bought the Surface RT 2 with touch cover. While it hurts to move away from BlackBerry, the Surface 2 feels amazing. Windows RT 8.1 is awesome and actually receiving new apps, the gestures almost feel as intuitive as BlackBerry 10 and the 10 inch screen is a blessing!

Speaking of BlackBerry 10, I really feel BlackBerry forced me to make this decision by not upgrading the PlayBook to BlackBerry 10. As a matter of fact, if the PB would have had BB10 by now, I probably would not have switched devices. While the PB did not sell well as hoped, it still has 2.5- 3 million loyal users that could have been satisfied. Furthermore, I believe BlackBerry would have been able to rerelease the PlayBook (maybe under a different name and a slight upgrade) as low-end/mid-range tablet. Now, PlayBook OS is dead and abandoned. Just take a look at BlackBerry World... It's nowhere near as good as the BlackBerry World we now see on BB10 devices.

While everybody saw what went wrong with the PB, I still saw a device with potential. It has QNX architcture, excellent hardware (even today) and does right what many tablet manufacturers still do wrong. I believed BB10 on PlayBook would have been an excellent opportunity for BlackBerry to re-enter the tablet market. Re-position the current PlayBook with BB10 as low-end device (150 euro) and an upgraded PlayBook as a midrange device (8-9 inch, 250 euro).
    I'm still loving my BlackBerry Z10, and I will keep on buying their phones (they truly are amazing). But as a consumer, I have to move on. I would have loved to keep my PlayBook as my main device, but its officially dead to me now.
    11-07-13 08:26 AM
    You will still have an illicit affair with the PB. No one can be fully committed to one tablet...
    11-07-13 08:33 AM
    You did what you had to do and it made sense on a number of fronts. Enjoy the Surface RT.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-07-13 08:37 AM
    You did what you had to do and it made sense on a number of fronts. Enjoy the Surface RT.
    No, it was a Surface 2. Surface RT was the original model. They dropped the RT moniker on the new model.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-07-13 08:41 AM
    I did the same thing as you. I now have a Nexus 7 ( 2013 ) as an upgrade to my PlayBook. However, I still use my PlayBook more than my Nexus, mainly because I like the feel of the QNX OS over that of the Android OS. The only thing I like about the Nexus is the application choices available to me.
    ots1960 likes this.
    11-07-13 05:55 PM
    I..... LOVE my PlayBook!!!! no iPad, Galaxy, Windows, Nexus, or Androids will ever replace my BlackBerry devices =) BlackBerry #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 10:04 PM
    Good luck with your Surface 2 man! Never have owned a PlayBook, but used one a few times and really likr the OS. But with times, things get a little older and we need to upgrade to something even newer and that's exactly the case. Use what suits you best

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 10:57 PM
    I could't tolerate the browser and keyboard lag, I was forced to move to iPad.
    11-07-13 11:11 PM
    I just ordered my new Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB for $299 (currently on sale with $50 discount for bigger storage). I would have done it sooner but I didn't want to make the same mistake I did with the Playbook by buying on hopes of what "could be". The second gen Windows tablets are legit: I got the form factor of the playbook, the full power of a PC, and it actually costs half of what the original 64GB Playbook did! The journey of broken promises and delusions has officially ended... goodbye BlackBerry.
    11-08-13 10:34 AM
    Sold mine for a few dollars to a nice man who sends them back to his home country to be used by school children. Says they take great photographs and the video chat is very useful. I was happy to hear that it will continue to be useful for someone. I thought the PB browser was pretty good until I switched to Chrome on the Nexus 7. BlackBerry killed the PB, the ecosystem is completely dead, so you are right to move on.
    11-08-13 10:50 AM
    I just ordered my new Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB for $299 (currently on sale with $50 discount for bigger storage). I would have done it sooner but I didn't want to make the same mistake I did with the Playbook by buying on hopes of what "could be". The second gen Windows tablets are legit: I got the form factor of the playbook, the full power of a PC, and it actually costs half of what the original 64GB Playbook did! The journey of broken promises and delusions has officially ended... goodbye BlackBerry.
    That has the new Atom chips. Be been waiting for those to come out!
    11-08-13 10:55 AM
    I bet you that in one year you will have a Windows phone as well, like a Nokia 925
    I still have my PB and a BB 8.1 phone, for my everyday and everywhere email, because of the BT bridge

But I upgraded to a Lenovo Tablet 2 running Windows 8.1
    I you need your tablet for business one needs a windows tablet

It happened... I couldn't resist and I finally made the decision. I replaced my PlayBook as my tablet after almost 2 years of good use. I made this decision not because the hardware started to deteriorate or the software became sluggish. As a matter of fact, my PlayBook is still operating like a star.

It all happened when I was on a science conference in Turkey last week. I saw so many people using iPads, Nexus' and Samsung Tab's.. I always see that so I proudly used my BlackBerry PlayBook with keyboard when needed. Enjoying the multitasking, Docs to Go, the excellent browsing experience, the gestures and the picture quality (still good enough today). I would have loved to have bigger screen but, hey, its BlackBerry!

HOWEVER, during the conference it suddenly struck me when I started using someones Microsoft Surface and the new Nexus 7 at some point. My PlayBook suddenly felt slow, sluggish and old. While all these tablet had many possibilities and apps, my PlayBook was not even able to play my favorite NetFlix series, lacked basic science/news apps and just felt poor overall. I'm already using the Z10 quite a while so I knew the PB's browser was not as fast as I thought it was, but after using the Surface its felt ridiculous. When my PlayBook suddenly refused to pop up the keyboard, and eventually froze on me I was done! After I came back from Turkey I immediately bought the Surface RT 2 with touch cover. While it hurts to move away from BlackBerry, the Surface 2 feels amazing. Windows RT 8.1 is awesome and actually receiving new apps, the gestures almost feel as intuitive as BlackBerry 10 and the 10 inch screen is a blessing!

Speaking of BlackBerry 10, I really feel BlackBerry forced me to make this decision by not upgrading the PlayBook to BlackBerry 10. As a matter of fact, if the PB would have had BB10 by now, I probably would not have switched devices. While the PB did not sell well as hoped, it still has 2.5- 3 million loyal users that could have been satisfied. Furthermore, I believe BlackBerry would have been able to rerelease the PlayBook (maybe under a different name and a slight upgrade) as low-end/mid-range tablet. Now, PlayBook OS is dead and abandoned. Just take a look at BlackBerry World... It's nowhere near as good as the BlackBerry World we now see on BB10 devices.

While everybody saw what went wrong with the PB, I still saw a device with potential. It has QNX architcture, excellent hardware (even today) and does right what many tablet manufacturers still do wrong. I believed BB10 on PlayBook would have been an excellent opportunity for BlackBerry to re-enter the tablet market. Re-position the current PlayBook with BB10 as low-end device (150 euro) and an upgraded PlayBook as a midrange device (8-9 inch, 250 euro).
    I'm still loving my BlackBerry Z10, and I will keep on buying their phones (they truly are amazing). But as a consumer, I have to move on. I would have loved to keep my PlayBook as my main device, but its officially dead to me now.
    11-08-13 10:56 AM
    Had my playbook. From day one brilliant tablet, and no playbook 2 coming and now abandoned, so time to move on, so bought
    Surface pro 2 with windows 8.1, liked the swipe gestures similar to playbook, plus the 11" screen, staying with BlackBerry phones bought a Z30
    11-08-13 06:05 PM
    I am on my playbook right now. I still feel that this tablet was the biggest opportunity for BlackBerry, and the best metaphor for why they will be dead. Great ideas, pathetic executive stewardship, and lacklustre follow through.

I got a Sony Xperia Z and found out just how much i HATE andriod's os. I am waiting for a good Win8 7 incher as this fits my lifestyle. The PB was perfect in fit and had great promise in function. However
    within the next few weeks the 8.1 product will be out and working. I will probably dump the Z10 as well to get the complete ecosystem on Windows.

I don't want iOS because I do more than send pictures. Andriod feels like it is forever in Alpha release with apps designed by kids for kids. At least Windows gives me the full suite of products nearly every major company still uses.

Sorry Waterloo...but you really @+#*"@ed up!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-15-13 09:47 AM
    I am on my playbook right now. I still feel that this tablet was the biggest opportunity for BlackBerry, and the best metaphor for why they will be dead. Great ideas, pathetic executive stewardship, and lacklustre follow through.

I got a Sony Xperia Z and found out just how much i HATE andriod's os. I am waiting for a good Win8 7 incher as this fits my lifestyle. The PB was perfect in fit and had great promise in function. However
    within the next few weeks the 8.1 product will be out and working. I will probably dump the Z10 as well to get the complete ecosystem on Windows.

I don't want iOS because I do more than send pictures. Andriod feels like it is forever in Alpha release with apps designed by kids for kids. At least Windows gives me the full suite of products nearly every major company still uses.

Sorry Waterloo...but you really @+#*"@ed up!
    11-15-13 09:47 AM
    Well...I keep looking around for that next tablet.. Android seems to be just that, a buggy OS with a bunch of crappy apps. Windows is out of the question as I have been a *nix user forever..so..I will squeeze tha juice from my PB and dream of an update..the way I see it, the PB is just an update away from remaining a usable device. Flash and the browser itself being the most important ones..but I will keep looking because I know that day when my pb becomes useless, will come.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-15-13 04:47 PM
    I..... LOVE my PlayBook!!!! no iPad, Galaxy, Windows, Nexus, or Androids will ever replace my BlackBerry devices =) BlackBerry #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    YASSS!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    pffft just try a Surface tablet for a week and you would say BYE BYE to the playbook in a heart beat LOL that's what I been tring to suggest to you people that the Suface is da shiz nit! LOL wanna stay with an abacus because it "works" go ahead, but if you wanna tablet that works like the playbook but 100x faster and enjoyable, then the Surface is the way to go
    11-15-13 10:22 PM
    Hey Beman39, good to see your still around....... I sitll use my PlayBook along with my Z10 on a daily basis, however I will be purchasing the iphone 5s (GOLD edition) and the ipad Lite in the coming weeks, I still luv my Blackberry devices, but it's about time to experience something different ......IMHO. It is now about ME and what makes me happy.....loyalty went out the window.....period
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-15-13 10:33 PM
    I did the same thing as you. I now have a Nexus 7 ( 2013 ) as an upgrade to my PlayBook. However, I still use my PlayBook more than my Nexus, mainly because I like the feel of the QNX OS over that of the Android OS. The only thing I like about the Nexus is the application choices available to me.
    iPad, Toshiba Thrive and Playbook. Playbook is Media only due to a sad App World. Here is a screenshot of the best Apps in BB Playbook App. World.

Farewell to my Good Old PlayBook-image.jpg
    11-15-13 11:33 PM
    Bought my wife a surface 2, she really likes it. Not using my PlayBook very often anymore, but I am not really using any tablet at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 12:48 AM
    Quite frankly the choice of tablet operating systems on the market all stink. Consumers are faced with fragmented, insecure and unstable tablet/mobile OS's that work more like data siphoning trojans than actual system software. People just don't see how much lack of control one really has with these tablets and the multitude of privacy violations that are incorporated into such devices. It really is treacherous. This is not to say that BlackBerry is immune from such practices however they do take privacy and security much more seriously than the other players.

I'll be sticking with my PlayBook's until they stop working. Nothing really compares as far as I'm concerned.
    11-17-13 05:59 AM
    Love my N7. Finding my Playbook use is fading fast. The Playbook is slow and the browser is really slow.

I so wish a faster Playbook with BB10 was released but until that happens PB will keep fading. I understand why there is no PB2 though. My Z10 rocks and that's ok.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 12:29 PM
    pffft just try a Surface tablet for a week and you would say BYE BYE to the playbook in a heart beat LOL that's what I been tring to suggest to you people that the Suface is da shiz nit! LOL wanna stay with an abacus because it "works" go ahead, but if you wanna tablet that works like the playbook but 100x faster and enjoyable, then the Surface is the way to go
    I've been trying, no, USING a Surface Pro since July...it IS tempting me to try a Lumia 929

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:41 PM