With the Z30 still relatively new, I see a lot of threads asking opinions on whether people should upgrade or not from Z10. I never got the Z10. But as a bb7 user, I thought I'd share my experience going from 9900 to Z30.

First, it was scary. I love my 9900, and this was completely different. Still not used to typing on a touch screen. And it gets frustrating when I make mistakes I know I usually wouldn't do. But... IMHO touchscreens are the future (and present) and it's good to fully versed in it.

Big screen is fantastic. One of few issues that made me upgrade before my Canadian 3 year contract was up on my 9900.

Apps are much better. Another reason I upgraded. With a bigger screen, things don't feel as cramped.

Overall size. It's frustratingly big. Despite the screen size on the 9900, it was a great physical handheld size. One handed control was simple. Gesture controls are difficult with one hand on the Z30. Holding the phone works best flat or at and angle that it will lay on your fingers to type. Too steep an angle or vertical is very awkward to try and cradle it with your pinky fingers. But I could do it with the 9900. Makes typing while laying down very tough. Also for size, it's noticeably bigger in my pocket, and harder to get out.

Battery is much better. Another reason I upgraded was that I was frustrated by how consistent I was monitoring my battery level with my 9900. Talking on the phone used up a lot of juice (for work). I haven't really worried about it since.

I never I had a case for my 9900, and don't want one for the Z30. But being as thin as it is with small borders around the screen, I find accidently press things more than my 9900. Maybe a case would remove this issue.

Missing: the delete on handheld only option for email. This truly bothered me when I first upgraded (bb10 thing). I'm learning to live with it, but I get a lot of work emails a day, and only need to keep some of the important ones. But keep the rest in my inbox to read when I get back to the office. It's a disappointing removal.

Camera is much better. The "always focus" of the 9900 was another big frustration. Though I find my fingers constantly getting in the way of the lense when holding the phone horizontal for photos.

I spent only a few days at home/work with the Z30, then took off to Japan on holidays with it for the past week, so I've been using it over wifi for apps and emails. If anyone has specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    11-05-13 04:28 PM
    just press and hold your email and hit the garbage can in the bottom right flyout. I have big hands and still took some time to get used to the size. I have had it a couple weeks now and you can't pry it from my hands. I stopped by Blackberry today and was talking to a buddy there and he was showing me some changes coming up for 10.2.1 and on and he said its going to rock like no other phone on the market when they are done! It was great to see the passion and determination still in the employees there.
    2stix likes this.
    11-05-13 04:40 PM
    Great review.
    I'm a 9900 owner. Been telling myself to stick with it til it breaks apart.
    With that said,
    Is there anything else you miss from BBOS other than 'delete on handheld'?
    Do you think you'll get to the point where you can type without looking at the keyboard?
    11-05-13 04:47 PM
    Welcome to CB and thanks for the great review on the Z30. Been thinking of getting one myself!
    11-05-13 04:56 PM
    That's quite a step up. My dad wants one, he's currently using a 9800. We will see how that works out haha

Posted from my Z30
    11-05-13 05:07 PM
    @hoob15

Thanks.

I'm sure typing will be second nature in time. It just means right now I rely on auto correct a lot (which works quite well).

As for BBOS, there were a few things during setup I found missing (and a lot less options). Little things like all the sound effects for notifications were different. I haven't tried copying the old ones over. But obviously you get used to what you have. I like different sounds for email/text/bbm... etc.

I miss having some (yet still limited) control on icon location on screen. Now it's more like ios and android where icons auto line up at the top left. Where on my 9900, I liked pushing apps down to show only one row at the bottom of the screen.

I miss all the notifications being shown in the search/notification bar. It's minor, but instead of being front and center, I need to check the hub for an update on my messages.

At first I did not like that all the icons had their title shown right below the icon. But I've gotten used to that.

I never figured out how to make multiple alarms without more events on the 9900. But BB10 has it simple to do.

Web browsing much, much better with bigger screen. Browser improved with scrolling, multiple tabs open and zooming.

A lot of this is obviously pretty minor stuff, but it's just what I've been noticing.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    hoob15 likes this.
    11-05-13 05:10 PM
    just press and hold your email and hit the garbage can in the bottom right flyout.
    I think he was talking about the feature to delete in email account or just on device because this is also one of the features I truly miss from bbos7. That and the native ability to customize the LED notifications.
    11-05-13 06:52 PM
    @hoob15

Thanks.

I'm sure typing will be second nature in time. It just means right now I rely on auto correct a lot (which works quite well).

As for BBOS, there were a few things during setup I found missing (and a lot less options). Little things like all the sound effects for notifications were different. I haven't tried copying the old ones over. But obviously you get used to what you have. I like different sounds for email/text/bbm... etc.

I miss having some (yet still limited) control on icon location on screen. Now it's more like ios and android where icons auto line up at the top left. Where on my 9900, I liked pushing apps down to show only one row at the bottom of the screen.

I miss all the notifications being shown in the search/notification bar. It's minor, but instead of being front and center, I need to check the hub for an update on my messages.

At first I did not like that all the icons had their title shown right below the icon. But I've gotten used to that.

I never figured out how to make multiple alarms without more events on the 9900. But BB10 has it simple to do.

Web browsing much, much better with bigger screen. Browser improved with scrolling, multiple tabs open and zooming.

A lot of this is obviously pretty minor stuff, but it's just what I've been noticing.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    *tip for typing* swipe back on the keypad to erase a whole word. 2 fingers, 2 words gone. 3 finger back swipes eliminates 3 words, but it's tough if you have bigger fingers.
    11-05-13 09:09 PM
    Thanks.
    So to confirm, you can't set a different sound for texts, different emails, bbms, etc?

I too like having different sounds for different things, it's soooo convenient.
    11-05-13 10:55 PM
    Thanks.
    So to confirm, you can't set a different sound for texts, different emails, bbms, etc?

I too like having different sounds for different things, it's soooo convenient.
    Yes you can. I have different sounds for Facebook twitter email text bbm, everything.

Posted from my Z30
    11-05-13 11:05 PM
    @hoob15

Sorry, yes you can have different sounds. There's just less sound effects on bb10 than bb07. And some options are missing like modifications to the led light. I've already set new sounds for all my alerts, I just prefer the old options as they've preloaded new options (but fewer).

@2stix

Yes, this is probably my favourite addition when typing on the virtual keyboard. Use it ALL the time. Much better than deleting words on the 9900.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    11-06-13 08:16 AM