So, do you think that Mr. John Chen, as interim CEO of BlackBerry (replacing TH), would be interested in reviving the PlayBook?

Just asking... not looking for trouble...

Posted via Z10
    dpaulbelcher likes this.
    11-05-13 01:45 AM
    I sincerely hope he does take interest in it. The PlayBook is in fact still part of the Blackberry family. Update the PlayBook to some sort of new and modern OS please! Keep PlayBook current!
    nappp, jkomo001 and dpaulbelcher like this.
    11-05-13 02:16 AM
    No.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 02:23 AM
    i think they first focus and strengthen handset business - if that runs well - maybe playbook - can�t say, just guess....
    11-05-13 02:26 AM
    I'd love to see *his* contract. Does he get a bonus to sell the company??
    11-05-13 03:07 AM
    So, do you think that Mr. John Chen, as interim CEO of BlackBerry (replacing TH), would be interested in reviving the PlayBook?

Posted via Z10
    I love yout optimism, but sadly, I fear the answer is probably, no.
    11-05-13 03:26 AM
    I'd love to see *his* contract. Does he get a bonus to sell the company??
    One article, of many, I read today mentioned that he thought it would take six quarters to turn BlackBerry around. So given that, I would say he has a contract for at least six quarters.
    11-05-13 03:36 AM
    He's an interim CEO and is only in place until a suitable full-time CEO is found. I wouldn't expect major changes under his reign; unless the company can't find someone interested in trying to save the company. I can't imagine that it would be THAT hard to find someone interested in this challenge. Succeed, and you build an amazing reputation; fail and say the company was already too far gone by the time you took over. Minimal downside risk unless really bad decisions are made along the way.

As for the OP's question: I doubt that we'll see anything in terms of Playbook revival. Blackberry is going to have a tough number of years ahead of them. My firm (over 1,000 employees) are switching next year from BlackBerry only to chose your platform. They are anticipating approximately 60% iPhone users, 20% Android and 20% Blackberry. Unless BBRY steps up to the plate, I'd expect to see this kind of trend to continue in general.
    11-05-13 06:50 AM
    Interim CEO is just a cop out incase things does not pan out so John Chen reputation is unscathed. The interim will become permanent if BlackBerry stock goes above $10 in 3months. This is more of an image repair that was badly damaged in the market. By bringing someone who has a solid reputation and background to regain the respect from the market. It's all about perception. Which is one of the main problem BlackBerry is having. Slap a Samsung or Apple logo on the phones it will have no problem selling millions and millions. Majority consumers rely on brand recognition. I'm not saying BB phones do not need to improve or need more apps. Images and reputation are very important in a mass consumer market. John Chen will be marketing the hell out of it in the next few months. I'm not sure how much of an influence he has say China. if he can even manage to open up that market for BlackBerry, that will be a good start.
    11-05-13 07:54 AM
    I love yout optimism, but sadly, I fear the answer is probably, no.
    I agree. It's now all about the software, and BB will probably move away from hardware. While I still find my PB useful, the newer iPads, Samsung's, etc. are offering updated devices, and far more consumer and business apps. Very disappointing, but realistic.
    11-05-13 09:41 AM
    Interim CEO is just a cop out incase things does not pan out so John Chen reputation is unscathed. The interim will become permanent if BlackBerry stock goes above $10 in 3months. This is more of an image repair that was badly damaged in the market. By bringing someone who has a solid reputation and background to regain the respect from the market. It's all about perception. Which is one of the main problem BlackBerry is having. Slap a Samsung or Apple logo on the phones it will have no problem selling millions and millions. Majority consumers rely on brand recognition. I'm not saying BB phones do not need to improve or need more apps. Images and reputation are very important in a mass consumer market. John Chen will be marketing the hell out of it in the next few months. I'm not sure how much of an influence he has say China. if he can even manage to open up that market for BlackBerry, that will be a good start.
    I think the interim title is there because he is in place to be a change agent. Executive level change agents have a very short life span so with the company already cut to a very low level he can make the changes in structure he wants, put the pieces into place and then move onto the next venture that interests him.

I do agree that he is enough of a name that people will give him some credence, and if he can put in place a plan that makes the future of BlackBerry less murky then people will feel more comfortable buying the handsets.
    11-05-13 11:00 AM
    Do I understand this correctly? I thought BlackBerry (RIM) was about to be sold. However, it seems that the sale fell through for some reason. Now, they appointed an interim CEO.

So does that mean they've decided not to sell after all? What are they going to do? Are they going to regroup and try to save themselves?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-05-13 02:00 PM
    Do I understand this correctly? I thought BlackBerry (RIM) was about to be sold. However, it seems that the sale fell through for some reason. Now, they appointed an interim CEO.

So does that mean they've decided not to sell after all? What are they going to do? Are they going to regroup and try to save themselves?

thay can still sell,,, all the current news means is that they aren't *actively* selling...
    11-05-13 02:10 PM
    I'd be curious to know his position on Eric Schmidt's declarations about the tablets that are taking more and more importance in the business market.
    Maybe Mr. Chen shares his judgment but would prefer launching a tablet only when the BB app ecosystem will be richer?
    IMHO BB10 has really a huge potential as a tablet OS, it already does a great job on tiny screen like the Q10, and i surely would choose a BB10 playbook over an ipad for daily business tasks!
    If he really has 6 quarters to operate as BB CEO we should see some new orientations soon, let's hope he'll choose a top notch marketing director too because in that area Blackberry really needs to do something as soon as possible!
    11-05-13 02:14 PM
    [QUOTE=StLouisMan2;9484082]Do I understand this correctly? I thought BlackBerry (RIM) was about to be sold. However, it seems that the sale fell through for some reason. Now, they appointed an interim CEO.

The offer was made by Fairfax but they were not able to get additional financing they wanted so it fell through. Instead Fairfax is putting in one billion dollars by buying convertible debenture bonds. Reference below has info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_Financial

It remains to be seen whether Blackberry will survive as a more or less integrated company or be sold off in pieces. It may be that the lions are gathered around the kill with the jackals waiting in the darkness.

11-05-13 02:17 PM
    No. BlackBerry has enough problems without adding the PlayBook or any other tablet to their lineup again. My husband works at a very large aerospace company that has always used BlackBerries & they are phasing them out & are moving to Windows devices. I have no doubt that many other companies are doing the same & with the goings on at BlackBerry, who could blame them? Sad really.
    11-05-13 04:56 PM
    [QUOTE=jpash549;9484146]

The offer was made by Fairfax but they were not able to get additional financing they wanted so it fell through. Instead Fairfax is putting in one billion dollars by buying convertible debenture bonds. Reference below has info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_Financial

It remains to be seen whether Blackberry will survive as a more or less integrated company or be sold off in pieces. It may be that the lions are gathered around the kill with the jackals waiting in the darkness.

Thanks very much for this information.

11-05-13 06:26 PM
    I am looking forward to a quote on tablets from either John or the next CEO. Tablets are definitely not going away anytime soon. People will still buy them. If a new tablet has some innovative features and is marketed like crazy, then sales should follow

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    11-05-13 06:28 PM
    Interesting part in this interview:
    "Right now I’m picking which new BlackBerry to use, and I’m chewing on whether I’m going to use a big screen versus a keyboard. I’m going to test drive both by the way"
    hummm... let's hope MR. Chen finally thinks that a Q10 could easily sport a 4" screen and we may have a good surprise in next BB devices #aQ30with4"screenplease
    11-05-13 06:35 PM
    For a CEO who hasn't even touched a BlackBerry 10 device...dont think he will be looking the past at the playbook
    kevinnugent and FF22 like this.
    11-05-13 07:00 PM

Just asking... not looking for trouble..

Posted via Z10
    Hope Springs Eternal!
    11-05-13 07:09 PM

Just asking... not looking for trouble..

Posted via Z10
    Hope Springs Eternal!
    11-05-13 07:09 PM
    There is a possibility here... I can say that most of PlayBook users still believe in its capabilities and still using it... if Mr. Chen is a PlayBook user (since he mentioned in Kevin's interview that he is a long time BlackBerry user, the probability that he got PlayBook is likely), he will also feel what we felt with our PlayBook... he knows that PlayBook is still can be improved to its full potential usefulness...

I bet, if one of us, i.e. PlayBook owners, will become BlackBerry's CEO, we will find a way to revive the PlayBook and make it more functional and useful because we know its potential...

Who's dreaming with me?

Posted via Z10
    11-05-13 08:15 PM
    I have my Playbook with me now, I love it, although it has a tumor. This guy has bigger fish to fry, like SURVIVAL. Try to wrap your head around these past quarterly numbers/trends. I have never seen anything like it.

Q2 Results

North America sales are down 46% from last quarter.
    Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) sales are down 49% from last quarter
    Latin American sales are down 56% from last quarter.
    Asia Pacific sales are down 47% from last quarter.

Posted via Z10
    11-05-13 09:43 PM
    "People" is the greatest assets... even in a company who struggling with budget for marketing, can use their existing customers as "marketers"... BlackBerry failed to realize this when they dumped PlayBook's users... they forgot that it is easy to spread fire than extinguishing it... they oversee that whatever or however they are going to treat their existing customers, specially those who really believed and supported them (as in the case of PlayBook), will have an effect on their future customers...

The number of PlayBook users maybe insignificant on their data... but its effect is not... it is like detonating an ounce of uranium against a pound of TNT...

One common weakness of human beings, is that we are forgivable... specially if we see the sincerity of the person asking... and this may have an effect to the stability and progress of BlackBerry - once people believes in them... trust them... and spread this faith all over the world... and this can be started with a small group such as the PlayBook users...

(*Sigh*, I'm watching too much of politics)

Posted via Z10
    11-05-13 11:06 PM
31 12