With today's news is it confirmed that no one else will bid. I know it is public company and anyone can hi which bod must vote, etc. But what is likely of any one bidding now? I mean no tech company could come out with 5 billion cash?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 04:20 PM
    "Other potential bidders have been inside the tent, nobody liked what they saw. Why should we?" wrote National Bank analyst Kris Thompson in a note to investors.

"Investors should expect very poor operating results in the coming quarters (as well as) a declining subscriber base, falling shipments, enterprise defections, market share loss, etc."

Thompson yanked back his target price on BlackBerry shares to US$3 with "above average" risk, from its previous $9 target.
    Fairfax Financial scraps bid for BlackBerry; leads $1 billion cash infusion deal - Business - Times Colonist

Pretty much says everything you need to know about other bidders.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-04-13 04:28 PM
    Wow, $3. So Microsoft, Facebook, lenovo, sap, apple, Google and no one else wants to buy BlackBerry. Sad and unbelievable. I still think there will be public offer, after all this drama feels like BlackBerry starting from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 06:11 PM
    Wow, $3. So Microsoft, Facebook, lenovo, sap, apple, Google and no one else wants to buy BlackBerry. Sad and unbelievable. I still think there will be public offer, after all this drama feels like BlackBerry starting from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    It's only unbelievable of you're a hard core Blackberry fan. People who were interested looked at the numbers and saw the reality.
    techvisor, aniym and JeepBB like this.
    11-04-13 07:36 PM
    It's only unbelievable of you're a hard core Blackberry fan. People who were interested looked at the numbers and saw the reality.
    They were never "interested". Blackberry begged and begged companies like Google, Facebook, Cisco, and Microsoft to look at its books and the companies unenthusiastically agreed. Then the media and Blackberry fans completely spin/twist the story into Blackberry receiving interest from a bunch of big names.
    techvisor, m1a1mg, aniym and 1 others like this.
    11-04-13 07:44 PM
    They were never "interested". Blackberry begged and begged companies like Google, Facebook, Cisco, and Microsoft to look at its books and the companies unenthusiastically agreed. Then the media and Blackberry fans completely spin/twist the story into Blackberry receiving interest from a bunch of big names.
    I love this, "begged and begged". You must know someone at the top.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 07:49 PM
    I don't see being a fan of BlackBerrys and also being realistic as being mutually exclusive.
    11-04-13 07:51 PM
    It does not make sense, why these companies won't buy all for about 5 billion comparing previous takeovers

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 07:56 PM
    Yea, What happened to Mike L

This whole thing smells real bad.

Let alone Prem talking shi* about his 28 years of honest business, never re-negotiating a deal, etc.

Very sad endeed
    11-04-13 08:01 PM
    It does not make sense, why these companies won't buy all for about 5 billion comparing previous takeovers
    Because $5B for this company is quite a stretch.
    (1) The real value of the patent portfolio is a big question mark.
    (2) For all the talk of "no debt", the reality is there are significant supply chain and other commitments that could eat through the cash very quickly in the next year.
    (3) The handset business is really worth less than nothing at the moment.
    (4) BB10 will be difficult to license when hardware makers can get Android for free.
    (5) In an era where software is the key differentiator, you have a company that is really pretty poor at writing software.
    techvisor, JeepBB and sentimentGX4 like this.
    11-04-13 08:06 PM
    Heins was getting fired all along. He was quiet as a mouse and the board pressured him to resign since months ago. BlackBerry wanted a better bidder but no one would give BlackBerry a good deal so they had to settle with Fairfax
    11-04-13 08:11 PM
    Cannot agree on last part about licensing. Why BlackBerry needs to charge for license. The licensing should help to grow market share so more apps arrive and sell more bb10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:18 PM
    Cannot agree on last part about licensing. Why BlackBerry needs to charge for license. The licensing should help to grow market share so more apps arrive and sell more bb10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    OK, think about this. BB can't sell BB10, why should other companies revamp their hardware to use an OS that doesn't sell?????
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-05-13 07:52 AM
    Well, it may be just me, but if I were buying BBRY, I would have made my move last year when BB10 had not come out and I would have been able to control the features, release, marketing, direction. Same price too.

If you are buying now, you have to clean up all that self-inflicted mess from the product releases and the "for sale" sign hanging around the neck for months...
    11-05-13 08:24 AM
    Number of "interested" parties are still out there.... they just have not liked what they have seen enough to make an offer for the whole company... yet.
    11-05-13 11:17 AM
    LOL. You got me. The word "interested" was used to reduce friction.
    11-05-13 12:20 PM
    I don't see being a fan of BlackBerrys and also being realistic as being mutually exclusive.
    With as many post as you have logged here on CB you've been around the block enough to know that "hard core fan" and "reality" often don't jive together.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11-05-13 at 03:20 PM.
    11-05-13 12:24 PM
    I love this, "begged and begged". You must know someone at the top.
    He doesn't need sources at the top, several news outlets and blog sites reported that it was BB doing the asking. There wasn't a line forming outside BB's door of interested potential buyers, so BB "begging" is probably a harsh, but accurate, take on this.

And having been begged asked by BB, what company wouldn't take the opportunity for an "access all areas" pass to look at another company's books?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as those other companies discuss what they saw - I'm sure it involves lots of sad head-shaking and relief that they aren't BB execs.
    11-05-13 03:03 PM
    With as many post as you have logged here on CB you've been around the block enough to know that "hard core fan" and "reality" often don't jive together.
    Often not and yet sometimes they do. I've used nothing but BlackBerry phones since 2009. And I don't forsee changing. Yet I agree with a lot of the negative points made here daily.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 11:48 PM