Report: BlackBerry no longer seeking deal, looks to replace CEO | CrackBerry.com

who is the right person you guys think?

waiting for Z30
    11-04-13 07:35 AM
    would not dare to guess
    11-04-13 07:43 AM
    I think Mike Lazaridis will return
    SifiGamer and John Pawling like this.
    11-04-13 07:43 AM
    11-04-13 07:46 AM
    I believe Mike will return eventually, but may not immediately.
    11-04-13 07:48 AM
    john chen interim ceo now,who's next?

waiting for Z30
    11-04-13 07:48 AM
    Does anyone think there will be any candidates that "really want" the position with the objective of taking the company back to its former glory vs just hanging out for a paycheck?
    Does the CEO pay come with a chainmail suit to protect against all the daggers being thrown?

Sent while driving from my CrackBerry.
    11-04-13 07:49 AM
    It will be hard to get a rock star CEO. Anyone good is going to want a huge guarantee in pay and shares. Not sure everyone will sign up for that

Sent from my C6906 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-04-13 07:50 AM

Just replacing the CEO isn't going to solve much. Especially not in the short term as I rather doubt they have someone waiting in the wings to take over tomorrow or something.

In my personal opinion what they could really use is some deep pockets to invest in the company and keep trying to make a mark in the mass market, because in some ways they are finally turning the corner on some of the app availability issues, and 10.2 is a good OS upgrade.

Because I don't think much will remain of the company if they just try to shrink and sell software to businesses, where their current product isn't even very competitive and various other vendors already have established a formidable beachhead. Even in the business market in many cases you need to establish a good name in the consumer market to springboard into customer confidence in the business market, especially if you're trying to sell handheld devices.

A BlackBerry that doesn't make handheld devices any more is no longer a useful vendor to me. I need a good, competitive, dependable and supported smartphone. If I'm not going to get it from BlackBerry, then I'm going to switch vendors and likely not look back.
    11-04-13 07:54 AM
    I'm going to be the next CEO.
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    11-04-13 07:59 AM
    I'm going to be the next CEO.
    Looking for a co-ceo? My talents include juggling fruits and yelling for no reason.

I feel both of my talents will be very useful at BlackBerry.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm and xandermac like this.
    11-04-13 08:13 AM
    New Crackberry article says Chen will be appointed chairman and interim CEO, Heins will step down, Watsa will be lead director, and Fairfax will infuse them with $1 billion.

That sounds interesting, if it means that they will avoid laying off the 3,000 or 4,000 they previously announced. Because if they continue with that, I think they will have an uphill battle surviving. Among other things, morale will be garbage, and they will either have to abandon the hardware business entirely or put out 1 or 2 uncompetitive devices every few years or something.

I don't think BlackBerry can make a software licensing model work. Too much of the security aspects revolve around custom hardware, and trying to sell devices into security-conscious western companies when all the hardware is made on contract in China somewhere is going to be an uphill battle to say the least.
    11-04-13 08:14 AM
    Bane.

But I hope the CEO is prepared to actively promote BlackBerry 10 and invest into flooding the market with devices.
    As long as they realise that this is going to be a long marathon

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:27 AM
    I think the choice of John Chen gives you a good idea of where BlackBerry is going to be heading. Sybase, the company he formerly led, looks to fit right into the mobile computing world that BlackBerry has talked about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybase

Overall, there will be a lot of bashing of Thorsten Heins but with the situation he inherited and the wide turns that an organisation needs in order to change there wasn't a lot he could do to turn the tide without everything falling right for BlackBerry. The corporate world doesn't entirely view a CEO on their public appearances and presentations, that's for the media since some of these rockstar CEO's are more of a stuffed shirt for the stockholders than they are effective managers or leaders. The choice of Heins made sense at the time but, like a lot of people before him, he hit the Peter Principle and succeeded to a role that he was incapable of performing. It's not a crime, and it happens to everyone given the right circumstances.

Hopefully, with BlackBerry 10 released and the handsets out, the next CEO can work on rebuilding BlackBerry's existing relationships and bring about the enterprise and information based company that the board has wanted to pivot towards.
    revtech and Uzi like this.
    11-04-13 08:28 AM
    Just replacing the CEO isn't going to solve much. Especially not in the short term as I rather doubt they have someone waiting in the wings to take over tomorrow or something.

In my personal opinion what they could really use is some deep pockets to invest in the company and keep trying to make a mark in the mass market, because in some ways they are finally turning the corner on some of the app availability issues, and 10.2 is a good OS upgrade.

Because I don't think much will remain of the company if they just try to shrink and sell software to businesses, where their current product isn't even very competitive and various other vendors already have established a formidable beachhead. Even in the business market in many cases you need to establish a good name in the consumer market to springboard into customer confidence in the business market, especially if you're trying to sell handheld devices.

A BlackBerry that doesn't make handheld devices any more is no longer a useful vendor to me. I need a good, competitive, dependable and supported smartphone. If I'm not going to get it from BlackBerry, then I'm going to switch vendors and likely not look back.
    I agree with your point of view replacing ceo just part of a lot of things to do

waiting for Z30
    11-04-13 08:29 AM
    Looking for a co-ceo? My talents include juggling fruits and yelling for no reason.

I feel both of my talents will be very useful at BlackBerry.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted via CB10
    Well, how many fruits can you juggle, exactly? And, can you do vegetables?
    11-04-13 08:30 AM
    I think the choice of John Chen gives you a good idea of where BlackBerry is going to be heading. Sybase, the company he formerly led, looks to fit right into the mobile computing world that BlackBerry has talked about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybase

Overall, there will be a lot of bashing of Thorsten Heins but with the situation he inherited and the wide turns that an organisation needs in order to change there wasn't a lot he could do to turn the tide without everything falling right for BlackBerry. The corporate world doesn't entirely view a CEO on their public appearances and presentations, that's for the media since some of these rockstar CEO's are more of a stuffed shirt for the stockholders than they are effective managers or leaders. The choice of Heins made sense at the time but, like a lot of people before him, he hit the Peter Principle and succeeded to a role that he was incapable of performing. It's not a crime, and it happens to everyone given the right circumstances.

Hopefully, with BlackBerry 10 released and the handsets out, the next CEO can work on rebuilding BlackBerry's existing relationships and bring about the enterprise and information based company that the board has wanted to pivot towards.
    Good for you, I thought "boy, this is going to be a worthless thread full of ignorance" . . But you hit it right on the head imo.
    11-04-13 08:38 AM
    I feel sorry for Thorsten Heins, He is such an amazing CEO with a broader vision, embedded Android Runtime in BlackBerry device to fill the app gap temporarily, Why BlackBerry should retain Mike? Can anyone give me atleast 3 fair reasons??

What was Mike doing when IPhone was first launched??? He just made some stupid comments "Consumers dont require a color display" if I'm not mistaken. Did anyone listen the conversation Thorsten deliver at Milken University after BB 10 launch?? How innovative and creative he was..

Usually western people dont like innovative leaders, and thats the reason Apple is still able to survive comfortbaly with a 7 year old OS with the SAME HOME button. Atleast thorsten managed to push BB 10 and cross platform BBM in his reign.. Even at crackberry many guys have written "Thorsten will bag 55 M USD", Come on guys, Be practical a person in such a big damn position will not be greedy or egoistic, they will always work for the company by putting their innovative brains to the fullest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PS : Can anyone in this FORUM assure me, that the new CEO can bring back 1 million apps in the app store in a span of 1 year???? Answer is straightly "NO".. But in a year Thorsten was able to build the basement very strong and accomplished 2 biggest missions in the technology industry ever.
    1. BB 10 launch, a brand new platform completely rewritten to rescue
    2. Cross platform BBM

Dont say that this guy is not responsible for these 2 accomplishments, a CEO is obviously the guy..
    Last edited by pavanpuligandla; 11-04-13 at 08:48 AM.
    11-04-13 08:38 AM
    It will be hard to get a rock star CEO. Anyone good is going to want a huge guarantee in pay and shares. Not sure everyone will sign up for that
    No one wants to move to Water--poo.
    11-04-13 08:41 AM
    And whoever brings in the new CEO, i hope he brings with him a better capable team to turn this ship around.
    And a lot of good lucks.
    11-04-13 08:42 AM
    Luis Gersner(IBM) or Sam Palmasano(IBM)
    11-04-13 08:59 AM
    I think the only way BlackBerry is going to survive as a handset maker is if they start pricing their devices competitively, and marketing them effectively. I hope the new guy (or gal) gets that.
    11-04-13 09:00 AM
    They've spent the last 4 months resigned to selling the company.

They've given up on trying to innovate or develop new products and what's more they've announced it to their current and potential customers as well as all their suppliers and partners.

You cant really retreat from this position, so my bet would be on the new CEO to continue with the split and sell off strategy.
    11-04-13 09:51 AM
    I remember laughing at Sybase while driving up 101 because they would put up billboards mocking Oracle as you watched the emerald city going up. Once Larry finished that project he was annoyed by those billboards and crushed Sybase like a flea. So now maybe we can have billboards near Cupertino making fun of the iphone? Hey, it's cheaper then rolling out cross-platform BBM that actually delivers messages on time.
    11-04-13 09:53 AM
    #Vivek4CEO
    11-04-13 09:56 AM
37 12