Well I should know by now - I updated to the latest version of Desktop Software version 7.1.0.41 and now nothing works.

Initially after the update the DS would simply not recognize the phone (9900), despite the computer being able to see it and browse the phone and media card when connected. I tried uninstalling, restarting, re-installing, etc - no luck. Now every time I connect the phone I get an error message,

"RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working"

Still no luck getting the DS to recognize the phone, and even reverting to earlier versions of DS and Desktop Manager has not fixed it. I see several posts in the support forums for the same issue, but no resolutions.

Any ideas?
    11-03-13 02:07 AM
    is your windows oregnal and got the last update
    11-03-13 05:23 AM
    Yes, windows is original and up to date, no problem there. Everything has been working fine for ages, the only change is the updated Desktop Software version. I should have known better than to upgrade when everything was already working fine, but it's hard to ignore that prompt
    11-03-13 06:13 AM
    same here .. very much trouble reinstaling os now on a 9810 torch .. i am very irritated
    11-03-13 02:19 PM
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: RIMDeviceManager.exe
    Application Version: 8.0.0.25
    Application Timestamp: 526ab872
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdaae
    Exception Code: c06d007e
    Exception Offset: 00009617
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1048
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    11-03-13 03:00 PM
    Found a solution for this.

Uninstall DTM.

Delete the contents of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RIMDeviceManager

reinstall DTM 7.1.0.41

Should work now.
    anikptl, yulianto link and Mikey_T like this.
    11-04-13 06:32 AM
    i know this but if i want to downgrade my 9900 and do the dtm update again i will encounter this ..
    11-04-13 08:00 AM

Uninstall DTM.

Delete the contents of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RIMDeviceManager

reinstall DTM 7.1.0.41

Should work now.
    Top stuff. I tried this and Desktop Manager now works correctly, Thank you!
    11-04-13 08:00 AM
    Top stuff. I tried this and Desktop Manager now works correctly, Thank you!
    Same here. I'm trying to update my old Curve 3G and kept having the same problem, but after deleting the contents of that folder and reinstalling the Desktop Software, the OS 6 update is loading on my phone right now. Thanks for the help!
    11-04-13 01:17 PM
    Are you saying to install DTM 7.1.0.41 specifically as that is not the most current version.

I had .41 previously and when I went to upgrade my device to the latest version, a message came up saying that a Compenent of Desktop Manager had to be updated first. After the DTm upgrade is when everything stopped working, That is great of you can just roll back to .41 after it installs .42 but then you are left with the same issue when you try to update your Bold 9900 to the new 2807 Bundle update. It starts all over again.
    11-04-13 02:36 PM
    Still no luck here - error message pops up as soon as the phone is connected, despite having uninstalled and deleted the contents of the folder.

I'm pulling my hair out.
    11-04-13 08:26 PM
    Excellent stuff!! I tried this solution provided by u & it worked for me. Successfully updated my BB Curve 9220.
    11-05-13 11:29 AM
    I uninstalled, deleted that folder and reinstalled. I have 7.1.0.41 (b042_multilanguage). If there's a later version I was unaware, but it's the one I'm using and fixed the issue for me.
    11-05-13 11:32 AM
    Dude, the downloading of new OS version begins (using ur method/trick) but at exactly 26% downloading stops n a message saying "Error establishing connection. Please test ur internet connection or try again later" pops up! I tried repeating it with my 3G USB dongle & my Home Broadband..but nothing works.
    11-05-13 12:13 PM
    I'm getting nowhere. I've uninstalled and re-installed and deleted and restarted countless times. I'm sick of this BS and sick of Blackberry.

I'll be home from work in a few days and I'm picking up an iPhone.
    11-05-13 07:43 PM
    Dude, the downloading of new OS version begins (using ur method/trick) but at exactly 26% downloading stops n a message saying "Error establishing connection. Please test ur internet connection or try again later" pops up! I tried repeating it with my 3G USB dongle & my Home Broadband..but nothing works.
    Sorry, not much I can do. I was just getting the error when connecting a phone that Communication manager stopped working, after applying my fix I was able to connect and managed to update several 9320's.

Sounds like your issue is with the connection to the update server (or the server itself) rather than any issue with communications manager.
    11-06-13 10:48 AM
    Ok I FINALLY got my Desktop Software going again, using a modified version of Zoddub's method (thanks buddy!)

Uninstalled Blackberry Desktop Software (current version), Uninstalled all other Blackberry related software on computer.
    Restart
    Delete entire RIM folder in Common files
    Restart
    Disconnect from internet
    Install Blackberry Desktop Manager (downgraded to version 6)
    Restart (keep internet disconnected)
    Start BDM - disallow automatic check for upgrades
    Sync phone.

What a pain, this has been a real hassle, thanks Blackberry. I am avoiding all Desktop software updates and phone OS updates on my 9900 now and will be switching to iPhone shortly.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    11-06-13 09:45 PM
    Ok I FINALLY got my Desktop Software going again, using a modified version of Zoddub's method (thanks buddy!)

Uninstalled Blackberry Desktop Software (current version), Uninstalled all other Blackberry related software on computer.
    Restart
    Delete entire RIM folder in Common files
    Restart
    Disconnect from internet
    Install Blackberry Desktop Manager (downgraded to version 6)
    Restart (keep internet disconnected)
    Start BDM - disallow automatic check for upgrades
    Sync phone.

What a pain, this has been a real hassle, thanks Blackberry. I am avoiding all Desktop software updates and phone OS updates on my 9900 now and will be switching to iPhone shortly.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Don't make this mistake .. I sold my 9900 and have this iphone 4 untill i will trade it for a bb 10 device .. I hate iphone it sucks so bad .. I had to upgrade it to ios 7 just to use bbm .. Screw apple

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    11-07-13 07:22 AM

Uninstall DTM.

reinstall DTM 7.1.0.41

Should work now.
    Thanks. Worked for me.
    11-07-13 08:11 AM
    Thanks bro... It's was amazing...
    Keep share usefull thing ^_^
    11-07-13 08:31 PM
    blacberry destop manager tidak bisa di buka apakah ada kesalahan koneki atau cara upgrade yang salah
    11-14-13 05:17 AM