I think the title says it all. Why does BlackBerry charge for old BlackBerry handsets like 9780 and why r they giving it free to android and ios? In India you're charged a fixed monthly plan to get Bbm services? Which to me doesn't make any sense .

Posted via CB10
    nalin909, Alex_Hong, Etios and 1 others like this.
    10-28-13 02:24 AM
    I think this has been discussed before, you're paying for more than just BBM on BIS plans.
    10-28-13 02:27 AM
    I think the title says it all. Why does BlackBerry charge for old BlackBerry handsets like 9780 and why r they giving it free to android and ios? In India you're charged a fixed monthly plan to get Bbm services? Which to me doesn't make any sense .

Posted via CB10
    You're not making any sense.

BBM for Android and BBM for iOS both requires Internet connection to function

In order to have Internet connection, you need to pay for data plan for your smartphone or set up a WiFi connection at home, which means you get to pay too.

In order to use BBM for BlackBerry OS, you need BIS data plan, which also means you get to pay either.

I do not see any "free" whatsoever in those scenarios.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    Johny 5, bbmtna, DS1331 and 3 others like this.
    10-28-13 02:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    You never paid for BBM, you paid for BIS: data compression, 1 @blackberry. email account, true push email for up to 10 accounts

BBM was always free the same way BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Maps, BlackBerry News etc are free, think of it as added value services.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's the fat lady singing.
    The 9780 9720 is the last legacy device blackberry will offer.

As for the other posts, it may be difficult for you to understand, but in India & other DEVELOPING markets bbm is THE only reason a majority of users purchased a blackberry device and paid for bis.

This is not an assumption or speculation: blackberry legacy number will fall precipitously now that bbm is released on other platforms platform.

*thanks to crackbb10 for the correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FFR; 10-28-13 at 05:59 AM.
    10-28-13 03:15 AM
    I think the plans must be different I'm other countries but in India you need to pay for a bis connection which buys you 2g network while for the same money one gets a 3 g plan for android through which you get access to your mails and also now Bbm. Plus on BlackBerry of you don't get a bis plan then you cannot use your Bbm even through wifi but your what's app works on wifi, where's on android even if you don't have a network plan you can access through wifi. So now tell me why this difference?

Posted via CB10
    troy lee likes this.
    10-28-13 03:37 AM
    2gb on bis is more like 5 on std data plan
    diegonei likes this.
    10-28-13 03:57 AM
    I think the plans must be different I'm other countries but in India you need to pay for a bis connection which buys you 2g network while for the same money one gets a 3 g plan for android through which you get access to your mails and also now Bbm. Plus on BlackBerry of you don't get a bis plan then you cannot use your Bbm even through wifi but your what's app works on wifi, where's on android even if you don't have a network plan you can access through wifi. So now tell me why this difference?

Posted via CB10
    Ask your carrier, they make those decisions, in UK is all the same as data plans for other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 04:36 AM
    The apps free. All pay for data or BIS. Nothing's free.
    10-28-13 04:54 AM
    You never paid for BBM, you paid for BIS: data compression, 1 @blackberry. email account, true push email for up to 10 accounts

BBM was always free the same way BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Maps, BlackBerry News etc are free, think of it as added value services.

Posted via CB10
    if BBM free ....why you must have BIS Plan to connect your BBM even on wifi ?

same as OP, in indonesia BIS Plan are much more expensive than regular data plan $2.5 for 600 MB data that you can use it for everything...while the cheapest BIS plan cost $6 only for BBM + Social

and some people already ask carrier in here, their reason : it's because BB charging them money (maybe that is why BB revenue from services still great) while in regular data plan carrier get all the money for themselves. that is why some carrier trying to push android more than BB legacy phone.
    10-28-13 05:20 AM

same as OP, in indonesia BIS Plan are much more expensive than regular data plan $2.5 for 600 MB data that you can use it for everything...while the cheapest BIS plan cost $6 only for BBM + Social

and some people already ask carrier in here, their reason : it's because BB charging them money (maybe that is why BB revenue from services still great) while in regular data plan carrier get all the money for themselves. that is why some carrier trying to push android more than BB legacy phone.
    Because you needed a BIS plan before BBM was launched and after BBM was launched, so that makes BBM an added value service. All those other problems you talk about were solved on BB10 platform, I doubt they'll spend the money to change BBOS too now.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 05:26 AM
    It's the fat lady singing.
    The 9780 is the last legacy device blackberry will offer.

As for the other posts, it may be difficult for you to understand, but in India & other DEVELOPING markets bbm is THE only reason a majority of users purchased a blackberry device and paid for bis.

This is not an assumption or speculation: blackberry legacy number will fall precipitously now that bbm is released on other platforms platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I believe you mean 9720..? The 9780 was on OS6... OS7 has a lot of devices... Even within its own line, it has seen the 9900 and the 9790 succeed it...

From the Z...
    10-28-13 05:44 AM
    Because you needed a BIS plan before BBM was launched and after BBM was launched, so that makes BBM an added value service. All those other problems you talk about were solved on BB10 platform, I doubt they'll spend the money to change BBOS too now.

Posted via CB10
    but in several countries (emerging market)...they still selling BBM as the main attraction..while BIS only as VAS. but you are right some problem already being solved on BB10 and BB will not trying to change their legacy OS , Their focus right now are keep pushing BB10 for their customers.
    10-28-13 05:45 AM

Come on now, don't be ridiculous.

Go to BlackBerry World and find the BBM entry. Check its price. You never paid for BBM, it has always been free.

What you DO pay for, is the data plan required to allow BBM to actually function.

The difference of price between BIS data plan and regular data plan is an entirely different subject matter. And yes, BlackBerry do charge them for BIS data plan

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    10-28-13 05:46 AM
    its so simple don't like it then upgrade to BB10
    10-28-13 05:52 AM
    Btw, you don't need bis for bbm on bbos if you have wifi. I have tested it several times on a blackberry that had no service and only wifi. It has worked perfectly.
    10-28-13 06:04 AM
    Btw, you don't need bis for bbm on bbos if you have wifi. I have tested it several times on a blackberry that had no service and only wifi. It has worked perfectly.
    Indeed my gf was out of the country, did mobile data of and wifi on
    Bbm worked fine

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 06:09 AM
    Come on now, don't be ridiculous.

Go to BlackBerry World and find the BBM entry. Check its price. You never paid for BBM, it has always been free.

What you DO pay for, is the data plan required to allow BBM to actually function.

The difference of price between BIS data plan and regular data plan is an entirely different subject matter. And yes, BlackBerry do charge them for BIS data plan

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    BBM as an apps is free, but you can't do anything with it even on wifi if you don't pay any BB plan.

some free apps on android / ios / BB world at least let you run their apps on trial or giving you limited access on their apps.

its so simple don't like it then upgrade to BB10
    i just need BBM, and i already download it with my Android phone. so i dont think i need to buy BB10 phone...i still keep my BB legacy phone to keep my BBM chat history..and it is convinient to separate BBM for friends/family and BBM for business related.
    10-28-13 06:15 AM
    Lol, you buy a BlackBerry for bbm?
    Normally people buy BlackBerry because they want a secure phone, or because of the keyboard.

Or even for the awesome notification led.

But for bbm?

Remember, BlackBerry is a business phone and it always will

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-28-13 06:15 AM
    I think it would be carrier-dependent. Here in the Philippines (GLOBE) we have different BIS data plans. We can activate a plan specific for BBM only, or Email only, or Social networking only, or all plans including unlimited internet surfing. And no, BBM does not work on wifi on legacy devices.
    10-28-13 06:21 AM
    I think it would be carrier-dependent. Here in the Philippines (GLOBE) we have different BIS data plans. We can activate a plan specific for BBM only, or Email only, or Social networking only, or all plans including unlimited internet surfing. And no, BBM does not work on wifi on legacy devices.
    Blame your provider

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 06:25 AM
    Indeed my gf was out of the country, did mobile data of and wifi on
    Bbm worked fine

Posted via CB10
    from my experience when traveling abroad. you can use BBM on wifi no need for mobile data as long as you still paying for BIS plan. but when you stop paying for BIS Plan your BBM will not work because it's not being registered on server.

and you can keep using BBM on wifi even if you change your sim card because BB server recognized/ registered your phone device rather than carrier you use

i know it because in indonesia majority people using pre paid card, and some people paying BIS daily..so when you not paying your BIS Plan, BB automaticaly stop you from using their services.
    10-28-13 06:25 AM
    Lol, you buy a BlackBerry for bbm?
    Normally people buy BlackBerry because they want a secure phone, or because of the keyboard.

Or even for the awesome notification led.

But for bbm?

Remember, BlackBerry is a business phone and it always will

Posted via CB10
    you will be surprised one of BB largest market indonesia (15 million users) and maybe some emerging market most BB users only using BB only for BBM and social network. on 10 - 20 age range... i dont think they are doing business on their BB phone.

same strategies here in indonesia.
    10-28-13 06:37 AM
    you will be surprised one of BB largest market indonesia (15 million users) and maybe some emerging market most BB users only using BB only for BBM and social network. on 10 - 20 age range... i dont think they are doing business on their BB phone.
    Hmm. Okay
    But now they can get q5

Posted via CB10
    garnok and Deanig_12 like this.
    10-28-13 06:38 AM
    your plan fee wasn't for BBM... so this is misleading..
    Last edited by tlegend2012; 10-28-13 at 08:06 AM.
    10-28-13 06:45 AM
78 123 ...