Hey guys,

so i did the update to 10.2 and everything went to hell. Got through the two downloads, but after the second one finished and the phone restarted, it just sat on the loading screen. Did a few battery pulls to get it up and running, but now when i swipe up all i get is the lock screen and i can't actually unlock my phone - or even type in the password. My mac for some reason can't even recognize it anymore, my buddy's mac keeps failing at resetting the software.

Anyone have any input as to what i should do? Anyone else have this issue?

Any help would be appreciated, I really need my phone back up and running for work.

Software update was done OTA, and i'm on Telus
    10-24-13 11:45 AM
    With the phone booted and stuck at the lock screen try holding down volume up & down for about 30 seconds, you should see the screen go blank and it will start rebooting. After that starts, just let the phone sit without touching it for 5 minutes, after that time go ahead and try to unlock it and see what happens...

Not saying it will fix it, but it's worth a first try to see if it can get you unstuck.
    alahodynskyj likes this.
    10-24-13 12:11 PM
    Has anything worked yet? I'm wondering if maybe you might need to access a Windows computer with the newest Link installed to get it to recognise your device.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    alahodynskyj likes this.
    10-24-13 01:17 PM
    With the phone booted and stuck at the lock screen try holding down volume up & down for about 30 seconds, you should see the screen go blank and it will start rebooting. After that starts, just let the phone sit without touching it for 5 minutes, after that time go ahead and try to unlock it and see what happens...

Not saying it will fix it, but it's worth a first try to see if it can get you unstuck.

Thanks for the help. i gave it a shot but no luck. managed to find a working computer and am currently reloading the software!
    10-24-13 04:44 PM
    That's great! Let us know how it goes.

10-24-13 04:50 PM
    same problem here - OTA update pushed to the phone, took about 5 hours to download over my BB connection and then spent overnight trying to update; flashing red light and nothing, did a battery pull after an hour of that and now I'm stuck on the logo screen. Tried the up/down button thing to no avail, also tried a battery pull and it simply sits on the logo screen.

I now have a brick that won't let me communicate with anyone. This is the second major firmware disaster in a week, I'm sincerely thinking of tossing this thing right now, this is my first BB and it's already one of the biggest disasters I've had with a phone... It was bought from the UK (I'm in Australia) so I have no idea if I have any local support either.
    10-24-13 06:48 PM
    same problem here - OTA update pushed to the phone, took about 5 hours to download over my BB connection and then spent overnight trying to update; flashing red light and nothing, did a battery pull after an hour of that and now I'm stuck on the logo screen. Tried the up/down button thing to no avail, also tried a battery pull and it simply sits on the logo screen.

I now have a brick that won't let me communicate with anyone. This is the second major firmware disaster in a week, I'm sincerely thinking of tossing this thing right now, this is my first BB and it's already one of the biggest disasters I've had with a phone... It was bought from the UK (I'm in Australia) so I have no idea if I have any local support either.
    Bad luck man. The thing is that you should make sure you do an update at night if your WiFi connection is slow. Let it download and install as you sleep. plugged in of course. If it is stuck on loading screen for a very very long time then getting impatient and pulling the battery has just voided the whole process. You will need to install the OS through different means. If you have to you should be able to call BlackBerry in your region to see what you can do warranty wise. If you need your phone now then try and get a computer running BB Link to recognize it and reload the software.

How to reload the OS on a BlackBerry Z10 or BlackBerry Q10 | CrackBerry.com
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-24-13 06:59 PM
    had to pull the battery for it to work. now my phone battery is draining like crazyyy
    10-24-13 07:12 PM
    Thanks Eddy Barry, what you said above is precisely what I did - as for pulling the battery - over an hour to boot a phone usually means it's not going to boot, hence the battery pull. Yes I left it an hour on that cycle - I started the update on my unencumbered broadband connection over wifi last night at 7pm, found it was in boot this morning and then spent the next hour waiting for it to start up and then the pull. I've done several resets with both up/down volume and it starts to the icons but no applications including settings load (they bomb back to main icon pages) and the phone doesn't work at all, it doesn't ring or let you answer a call at all; there's no indication that it's ringing whatsoever and the caller thinks you're ignoring the call.
    10-24-13 07:14 PM
    Hey guys,

so i did the update to 10.2 and everything went to hell. Got through the two downloads, but after the second one finished and the phone restarted, it just sat on the loading screen. Did a few battery pulls to get it up and running, but now when i swipe up all i get is the lock screen and i can't actually unlock my phone - or even type in the password. My mac for some reason can't even recognize it anymore, my buddy's mac keeps failing at resetting the software.

Anyone have any input as to what i should do? Anyone else have this issue?

Any help would be appreciated, I really need my phone back up and running for work.

Software update was done OTA, and i'm on Telus
    During this update there is a long boot up time. You have to be patient. Do not battery pull as it may disruption the full loading of the new install. In the future do not do that. OS 10 does not like battery pulls. Hit up a friend with BBLink installed and proceed to re install the os.

Sent from my SGH-I957R using CB Forums mobile app
    10-24-13 07:25 PM
    Yeah, that's true. On CB I've read that some users had to wait for a very long time (minimum an hour) during boot after updating their OS. Not sure why some have such a long boot time and why others a quick boot after install. Mine was a fairly quick download (just under 500 mb), install and boot.

Last edited by SharonRD; 10-24-13 at 07:47 PM.
    10-24-13 07:36 PM
    Never update the OS by OTA... The best way is thru a PC with BB Link.

.. and don't forget to do a back-up first before updating the OS... my 2 cents worth.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-24-13 07:44 PM
    Davo...is your phone still under warranty? just get a replacement.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 07:48 PM
    The best remedy now is to connect it to BB Link on the computer and do a backup, repair and restore.
    10-24-13 07:49 PM

.. and don't forget to do a back-up first before updating the OS... my 2 cents worth.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson about doing OTA updates. Used a friend's brand new iMac and was able to easily reload the software. Thank god I did a backup yesterday morning!

Thanks for everyones help. Hope others with this issue can sort it out soon.
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-24-13 07:53 PM
    Thanks Eddy Barry, what you said above is precisely what I did - as for pulling the battery - over an hour to boot a phone usually means it's not going to boot, hence the battery pull. Yes I left it an hour on that cycle - I started the update on my unencumbered broadband connection over wifi last night at 7pm, found it was in boot this morning and then spent the next hour waiting for it to start up and then the pull. I've done several resets with both up/down volume and it starts to the icons but no applications including settings load (they bomb back to main icon pages) and the phone doesn't work at all, it doesn't ring or let you answer a call at all; there's no indication that it's ringing whatsoever and the caller thinks you're ignoring the call.
    Ouch. Well sorry to hear that. I hope it gets going for you soon. 10.2 is awesome. I don't know but I took a huge risk updating, IMO at least, updated OTA not plugged in with 60% battery and it only took about an hour and fifteen minutes total and killed about 25% battery. Not a single hiccup through the whole process. I hope that yours is a rare case and not mine. Mind you I also updated from 10.2.0.1323 leak and it was a single 750MB update. Good luck.

+1 always unless you really have no other choice. This is by far the safest route, but remember that not everything goes perfectly for everyone. Murphy's law applies.
    10-24-13 08:00 PM
    Davo...is your phone still under warranty? just get a replacement.
    I'd love to but they're on the other side of the world - I'm not sure how that will go, I'll be down for months and up for hundreds in freight charges with loss risk, etc. I'm moving to the UK at the end of the year but by that stage I'd have gone out and bought a Droid 4 or something... I'm going to try the BB-link update method but last time I tried that it was a disaster (firmware crash earlier this week unrelated to this, phone was in OS-reload screen when I just turned it on).

I had to load one of the official firmwares that come out the way that the leaked ones are put out, is there a method similar to that (with the update file that uses a DOS screen) for this release? I'm looking for as generic a firmware as possible, this OTA one put Telstra rubbish onto my front screen (I'm on a reseller of theirs but not subject to their T&C's).
    10-24-13 08:44 PM
    had to pull the battery for it to work. now my phone battery is draining like crazyyy
    That happens after an OS update. Your phone will "index" for the first few hours, it may get hot and drain the battery faster. "Not mad, not mad"

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    10-24-13 08:57 PM
    Ouch. Well sorry to hear that. I hope it gets going for you soon. 10.2 is awesome. I don't know but I took a huge risk updating, IMO at least, updated OTA not plugged in with 60% battery and it only took about an hour and fifteen minutes total and killed about 25% battery. Not a single hiccup through the whole process. I hope that yours is a rare case and not mine. Mind you I also updated from 10.2.0.1323 leak and it was a single 750MB update. Good luck.
    That's the "charmed life" upgrade process! I envy you that easy an upgrade, earlier updates for me (OTA) were very easy but lately it's gone to the dogs...

+1 always unless you really have no other choice. This is by far the safest route, but remember that not everything goes perfectly for everyone. Murphy's law applies.
    The last restore I tried with BB-link ended with BB-link saying that it couldn't get anything from the BB servers, it did this over and over again; I had to go to a 3rd party provided firmware file the way the leaked ones are done; suspect I have to do that again, is that likely?
    10-24-13 09:00 PM
    I find it hard to completely wreck this phone. I had one snag but was recoverable during a flash

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 09:19 PM
    interesting - tried to contact some technical support in Australia and was told that I would have to *pay* to raise a warranty ticket (on my Q10!) and that they would do nothing for me beyond telling me to follow some steps on a web site (which didn't work last week and I doubt will work this week). I think I'm going to have to make a rather expensive legal issue out of it; unless you bought the device on a punitive contract in Australia there appears to be no warranty honored in this country whatsoever.
    10-25-13 12:01 AM
    Wow, that's really lame!

10-25-13 12:24 AM
    Davos, have you tried looking around the forum for leaked OS here on CB? I remember seeing some threads about how to restore bricked BB10 phones after updates went wrong. Maybe you could try having a look around there.

Btw, I somehow find the whole upgrading process very annoying. On my Q10, it took nearly three hours to complete the process. The phone itself took roughly 15 minutes to reboot. First it got stuck about 10 minutes on that BlackBerry logo, after that the 100% circle appeared and stuck for another 5 minutes. Not very convenient over all. And I don't even have many apps, contacts, events and messages on my device.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-25-13 12:59 AM
    Davos, have you tried looking around the forum for leaked OS here on CB? I remember seeing some threads about how to restore bricked BB10 phones after updates went wrong. Maybe you could try having a look around there.
    Thanks Taigatrommel, I actually do have one in this kind of package which I brought in (on the advice of these forums) which saved the phone a week ago when it self-bricked (just woke up one morning and it couldn't even start, hadn't tried to do anything to it). I will try that as a last resort type of fix; might just stick with 10.1.x until BB figure out how to distribute firmware on set hardware devices, you know it's bad when Samsung do it better somehow!

Btw, I somehow find the whole upgrading process very annoying. On my Q10, it took nearly three hours to complete the process. The phone itself took roughly 15 minutes to reboot. First it got stuck about 10 minutes on that BlackBerry logo, after that the 100% circle appeared and stuck for another 5 minutes. Not very convenient over all. And I don't even have many apps, contacts, events and messages on my device.
    Yeah, this is a REAL train wreck; and the abandonware aspect that I've experienced, BB wanting as little as possible to do with helping it seems; the ONLY thing that's keeping this platform afloat is forums like this and good people like you all here, I couldn't begin calculate how much this service is worth to BB but I believe they're really taking it badly for granted...
    10-25-13 01:36 AM
    I see a lot of feedback. Guess I will wait for the official release. Can't afford for my phone to not work. Don't ave a back up phone in case anything goes wrong and I rely quite a bit on my phone.
    10-25-13 04:46 AM
41 12