If you were a struggling smartphone maker, desperate for some positive attention, would you schedule a major software launch on the same day as a major Apple product reveal and software deployment? I wouldn't. Why did BlackBerry? They just about guaranteed that BBM would be overshadowed by coverage of Apple's new OS, new iPad and new Macs.

Why not launch the next day, or the day after that, when they could have had the field to themselves. BBM was already delayed. Would one more day have made any difference? I just don't get it.
    Jimberry Storm and SifiGamer like this.
    10-23-13 02:03 PM
    That 15 million people who have downloaded bbm disagree with you.

Posted from my Z10
    10-23-13 02:08 PM
    Sounds like it's going pretty well, regardless... Wouldn't you agree?
    10-23-13 02:09 PM
    People can look forward to installing BBM on their next device upgrade.
    10-23-13 02:11 PM
    Far from overshadowed given the response so far. Apple will always be releasing new (names) products so what does it matter? BlackBerry has to get rolling and given how BBM is going, they sure are.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    10-23-13 02:11 PM
    Not necessarily. I downloaded it, and I agree with myself.
    10-23-13 02:16 PM
    Sounds like it's going pretty well, regardless... Wouldn't you agree?
    In terms of the number of downloads, yeah, it's going well. I just think they could have gotten a lot more badly-needed attention from the press if they didn't have to compete with an Apple launch. A day or two later all those tech writers who were busy writing about Apple could have been writing about BlackBerry instead.
    10-23-13 02:18 PM
    Far from overshadowed given the response so far. Apple will always be releasing new (names) products so what does it matter? BlackBerry has to get rolling and given how BBM is going, they sure are.
    I'm not suggesting BlackBerry never launch anything because Apple "will always be releasing new (names) products." I'm just suggesting it might have been smarter not to do it on the same day.
    10-23-13 02:19 PM
    Their severs are at capacity anyways.

I think timing has been good.

Any later and people would be they are more than a month late.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 and meherzad87 like this.
    10-23-13 02:25 PM
    Maybe it's the region I live in, but I heard nothing about apples product launch. I did, however, hear several news outlets mention BBM going cross platform.

?10
    Thesmartmale and alan510 like this.
    10-23-13 02:25 PM
    If you were a struggling smartphone maker, desperate for some positive attention, would you schedule a major software launch on the same day as a major Apple product reveal and software deployment? I wouldn't. Why did BlackBerry? They just about guaranteed that BBM would be overshadowed by coverage of Apple's new OS, new iPad and new Macs.

Why not launch the next day, or the day after that, when they could have had the field to themselves. BBM was already delayed. Would one more day have made any difference? I just don't get it.
    it's going pretty darn well... I missed the IPAD and Nokia launch because I was too busy inviting and helping people through BBM
    10-23-13 02:26 PM
    The conference is done and people are still downloading bbm by the millions. They can't wait around for Apple to make announcements, that's silly.

Posted from my Z10
    FastLane228 and Mac of York like this.
    10-23-13 02:26 PM
    The conference is done and people are still downloading bbm by the millions. They can't wait around for Apple to make announcements, that's silly.
    I'm sorry, but I don't see why it's silly to want the field to yourself when you're launching a major product. Everyone knew, at least a month ahead of time, when Apple -- the 800 pound gorilla -- was having their big product launch. Did it really make good business sense to say, "Hey, let's schedule ours on the same day so Apple can steal our thunder"?

Hopefully, it will turn out not to matter in the long run, but since the launch of BBM wasn't time-critical (it could just as easily have been launched the next day), the logic behind the timing baffles me.
    10-23-13 02:32 PM
    Honestly, there seemed to be more coverage of the BBM launch than the Apple announcement. I didn't see any article about the new iPad until today, whereas I saw numerous articles about BBM yesterday.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    10-23-13 02:36 PM
    The only people who care about Apple releases are apple people.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    10-23-13 02:41 PM
    Not necessarily. I downloaded it, and I agree with myself.
    logic no bueno sorry
    mkelley65 and ghundiraj like this.
    10-23-13 02:42 PM
    In terms of the number of downloads, yeah, it's going well. I just think they could have gotten a lot more badly-needed attention from the press if they didn't have to compete with an Apple launch. A day or two later all those tech writers who were busy writing about Apple could have been writing about BlackBerry instead.
    I don't know about you, but I saw a lot of press about the success of the BBM xplatform launch. The press wasn't on the day of the release, the press was the next day when BB announced that 10 million downloads happened in 24 hours. It's been a while since I've seen positive press about BB, and I saw lots of it. The good thing is, they didn't remind everyone on how horrible things are for Blackberry right now, which is usually in every article I read, good or bad. This time, it was just all positive!

I see no issues with releasing it when they did. Blackberry is not going to release things around apple....they should release things when they want to.

And one other thing....the press I've been reading about apple these days is about the iphone 5C being a flop....and how boring the apple event was regarding the ipad, since it's the same old script they use for all other events. People are not as excited about apple launches anymore. It's not getting the huge massive press it use to get.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    10-23-13 02:49 PM
    This is a busy week in the tech world. Nokia and Apple had major announcements on Tuesday and Google is throwing a party tomorrow (Thursday). BlackBerry got in where they could.

Maybe BlackBerry hoped that if the BBM launch didn't go well, it would be overshadowed by Apple and Nokia. At this point, I don't blame them for picking the date that they did.
    10-23-13 02:56 PM
    it was actually done a day before the apple event, which was actually perfect.
    10-23-13 03:21 PM
    saw waaaaaay more coverage about BBM than Apple. Most people had no clue a new product was launched by Apple yesterday.
    shads77, JesseBabe23 and bbhuh like this.
    10-23-13 03:28 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't see why it's silly to want the field to yourself when you're launching a major product. Everyone knew, at least a month ahead of time, when Apple -- the 800 pound gorilla -- was having their big product launch. Did it really make good business sense to say, "Hey, let's schedule ours on the same day so Apple can steal our thunder"?

Hopefully, it will turn out not to matter in the long run, but since the launch of BBM wasn't time-critical (it could just as easily have been launched the next day), the logic behind the timing baffles me.
    So you are saying that BlackBerry should run their business around Apples plans, googles plans, microsofts plans Samsungs plans and so on. Letting others control how you run your business and when you release new products sounds completely stupid.

PS. I had to go onto imores web site to find any info on the new ipad launch but, every TV station ran a bit on their local news cast on BBM being released for the iphone and android so your opinion is not fact and from the media outlets i saw there was nothing on apple but BBm news was everywhere.

PSS. I asked about 15-20 friends who are apple fanatics what they thought about the new ipad released yesterday they had no clue but the loved how well BBM worked for them.
    Last edited by elite1; 10-23-13 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Removed new reply from inside quote
    10-23-13 03:31 PM
    Apple released new product(s)? News to me
    maddie1128 likes this.
    10-23-13 03:32 PM
    Apple released new product(s)? News to me
    NSApad"air"is"new"?lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-23-13 03:35 PM

Posted from my Z10
    if those 15 million wanted BBM,why didn't they just buy a blackberry 10 phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-23-13 03:37 PM

I can understand your point about attention attraction of masses!

But it may either a good way to chalenge your launch and to be on the fight ring with Apple...at least few days.

An other point that I can think of easily:

Don't attract to much attention and make the share price growing too much before the sale

In any case: BBM finally launched and hit massively people (doubtless a brand new record in term of free dowload app).

My 2 cents.

Q10 ? OS 10.2.1.575+1792 Radio
    10-23-13 03:44 PM
114 123 ...