So I was wondering, what do you say to people who ask, "why switch to BBM from WhatsApp, FB messenger, etc.?"

I have downloaded BBM and have gotten 9 of my friends to download it also, but these are all people who once had blackberries and were fairly easy to convince.

I want to get more people on, but I honestly don't know what to say. Anyone have any suggestions? And please don't include things that are not yet included in cross-platform BBM.
    The only thing I can really think of is perhaps security, but I get the feeling a lot of people don't see that as a compelling reason to switch.

And before anyone says it, no this is not my attempt at trolling. I genuinely want BBM to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Dude_9 likes this.
    10-22-13 12:57 PM
    That I won't talk to them by any other means, and if they value our friendship they need to download BBM.

Posted via CB10
    knownastron and Bor Navas like this.
    10-22-13 01:01 PM
    I want to get more people on, but I honestly don't know what to say. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Wait, let me get this straight. You can't come up with one thing to sell people on using BBM yet for some reason you really want to convince them to use it? Why?
    10-22-13 01:13 PM
    Obviously he was joking. Not all of us are using iPhones or androids. So, we are not sure which features came over to the other platforms. Is there video or voice chat? BBM screen share?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 01:17 PM
    Obviously he was joking. Not all of us are using iPhones or androids. So, we are not sure which features came over to the other platforms. Is there video or voice chat? BBM screen share?

Posted via CB10
    No, no, and no.

Quite obviouly he wasn't joking. He really really wants to get people onto BBM but can't think of a single reason why BBM is better than what's out there. So I question: why does he want people on BBM?
    10-22-13 01:19 PM
    That I won't talk to them by any other means, and if they value our friendship they need to download BBM.

Posted via CB10
    That's my approach

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 01:26 PM
    No, no, and no.

Quite obviouly he wasn't joking. He really really wants to get people onto BBM but can't think of a single reason why BBM is better than what's out there. So I question: why does he want people on BBM?
    Firstly, I'm a she.

Secondly, I want people to come over to BBM because I used it on my BBs when I had them and I loved it. I'm now using it on my iPhone, as are 9 of my friends.

I've wanted a cross-platform client for a while now, and I think BBM is a good alternative to WhatsApp for the following reasons:

1) read notifications
    2) it looks better than WhatsApp (IMO)
    3) PINS (though this can also be taken as a negative)

Then again BBM is also missing some things that WhatsApp has:
    1) sending video and voice notes
    2) uses phone address book (a plus for some)
    3) email your chat history (I suppose you can copy it from BBM and send it to yourself...).
    4) send full-size pics (I've heard people complain that BBM does not do this. Not a deal breaker for me but it may be for some).

So my question is, why do YOU think BBM is better than what's out there? And how have YOU convinced people to download it. Because the above isn't always enough.

Thank you to those who have actually answered my question.

I don't think my question is unreasonable.

10-22-13 02:30 PM
    Firstly, I'm a she.
    The convention in English is to use "he" when gender is unknown. Now that gender is known, I will use she.

Secondly, I want people to come over to BBM because I used it on my BBs when I had them and I loved it. I'm now using it on my iPhone, as are 9 of my friends.

I've wanted a cross-platform client for a while now, and I think BBM is a good alternative to WhatsApp for the following reasons:

1) read notifications
    2) it looks better than WhatsApp (IMO)
    3) PINS (though this can also be taken as a negative)

Then again BBM is also missing some things that WhatsApp has:
    1) sending video and voice notes
    2) uses phone address book (a plus for some)
    3) email your chat history (I suppose you can copy it from BBM and send it to yourself...).
    4) send full-size pics (I've heard people complain that BBM does not do this. Not a deal breaker for me but it may be for some).

So my question is, why do YOU think BBM is better than what's out there? And how have YOU convinced people to download it. Because the above isn't always enough.

Thank you to those who have actually answered my question.

I don't think my question is unreasonable.
    So it sounds like you have plenty of reasons to try and convince people to join BBM. I find that confusing, since in your OP, you said:

I want to get more people on, but I honestly don't know what to say.
    10-22-13 03:06 PM
    The convention in English is to use "he" when gender is unknown. Now that gender is known, I will use she.

So it sounds like you have plenty of reasons to try and convince people to join BBM. I find that confusing, since in your OP, you said:
    Yeah I've tried those to no avail, so I don't know what to say. If it could at least be downloaded on wifi-only iPads and iPods that would give it a bit more power.

10-22-13 03:29 PM
    Why use BBM

1) security
    2) Create groups where you can have shared lists and a shared calender. I use this to create gift lists for kids in our family
    3) you can post and comment on pictures
    4) when making ad hoc groups, you don't always have to name them
    5) You know when message is delivered and read. Whatsapp checks are about being delivered to their servers not the individual
    6) not having to use your phone number. Makes it easier if your travel and swap SIMs
    7) Video messaging is coming (to IOS and Android) on the next update

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 03:37 PM
    1. Whats app is getting stale
    2. I can keep my phone number private.
    3. International pin swapping is excellent for filtered meeting of new people.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-22-13 03:43 PM
    5) You know when message is delivered and read. Whatsapp checks are about being delivered to their servers not the individual
    WRONG. The second check explicitly tells you it was delivered to the recipient's phone.

6) not having to use your phone number. Makes it easier if your travel and swap SIMs
    WRONG. Absolutely no problem switching out SIM's on WhatsApp. Traveled with my US phone and US-number-based-WhatsApp account to countries in Europe and Asia this summer, got a local SIM in every single country and WhatsApp worked flawlessly.

7) Video messaging is coming (to IOS and Android) on the next update
    USELESS. Coming soon? Well other platforms offer this NOW.

It would really be helpful if people would do a little research before posting talking points for others, lest they contribute to others' embarrassment when they spread mis
    10-22-13 03:43 PM
    If you want to convince people to "try" the "free" bbm. Just tell them it's the most successful app launch of all time with over 10 million downloads the first day. its awesome just like your crazy amazing iPhone, don't use whatsapp thats lame.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 03:49 PM
    I agree with Peevish, I use BBM to chat with most of my friends (in the corporate environment here in Canada BB is still the norm), and I used whatsapp for the rest. Now that BBM for Android and iPhone is out there I have changed my status in whatsapp to:

Find me on BBM pin XXXXXXXX - Now also available on iPhone and Android at www.BBM.com!
    Then I simply don't reply unless really necessary, I already got 3 friends to install it and use it, 7 more to go and I'll be uninstalling that buggy battery drainer unreliable data miner contact mess of whatsapp!!!
    neilwhite likes this.
    10-22-13 04:16 PM
    Because of this...

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/37b39dd60ea7

It's a great article about why the writer use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:18 PM
    Because of this...

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/37b39dd60ea7

It's a great article about why the writer use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Oooh the ability to easily block people is a good one! It's very true. I will have to add that one to my list!

The compression of pictures makes sense in terms of using less data also. A lot of times if I'm sending a pic to someone, having it compressed is actually better, but there are times when it would be nice to have the option to send a full-size pic.

Thanks for the article.

Last edited by solitude1984; 10-22-13 at 05:38 PM.
    10-22-13 05:25 PM
    BBM is the original instant messaging app.

It's secure and functional. It's also easier on the eye IMO.

You have delivered (D) and read (R) notifications.

Once BBM voice calling is available Le to all it'll kill Skype which is both fiddly and poor.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:39 PM
    I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'm only still using it because I'm tired of making a certain few friends constantly switch messaging apps for me. But I think I may just settle on Hangouts soon...

The way BBM does Picture Transfers, and the hoops you have to go through to transfer other files is just not going to work for me.

I also do not like the non-Native user interface and navigation.
    10-22-13 05:58 PM
    BBM is the original instant messaging app.

It's secure and functional. It's also easier on the eye IMO.

You have delivered (D) and read (R) notifications.

Once BBM voice calling is available Le to all it'll kill Skype which is both fiddly and poor.

Posted via CB10
    Skype VoIP is fine. Try to use it on something better than Edge.

Also, Skype can call Cell Phones and Landlines, which BBM Voice cannot do. Do you people actually know why Skype is as popular as it is?
    avmsam likes this.
    10-22-13 06:09 PM
    for me it's the privacy/control. honestly, whatsapp has gotten so good and so popular that it's hard to make the argument for using BBM anymore. but whatsapp is horrible at privacy. people message you out of nowhere and the account it tied to your phone #. the Pin system on BBM solves this very well. however BBM is way behind on features for example being able to share videos or location. also the bbm experience on iOS is generally unintuitive.
    10-22-13 08:27 PM
    Skype VoIP is fine. Try to use it on something better than Edge.

Also, Skype can call Cell Phones and Landlines, which BBM Voice cannot do. Do you people actually know why Skype is as popular as it is?
    yeah there'es a number of better competitors to BBM voice/video: skype, google hangouts, vibr, facetime audio/video etc. i don't see BBM voice/video as killing anything. i see it as BBM catching up. screen sharing on the other hand is a step up but again, there are other apps that do this well but none that are combined with a messaging platform.
    10-22-13 08:31 PM
    yeah there'es a number of better competitors to BBM voice/video: skype, google hangouts, vibr, facetime audio/video etc. i don't see BBM voice/video as killing anything. i see it as BBM catching up. screen sharing on the other hand is a step up but again, there are other apps that do this well but none that are combined with a messaging platform.
    Out of curiosity, what apps do screen sharing well? I really, really wish BBM had this.

10-22-13 08:33 PM
    Out of curiosity, what apps do screen sharing well? I really, really wish BBM had this.

Shoulda been more specific but I was referring to conferencing apps, like GoToMeeting. I realize it's not quite the same.
    10-22-13 08:36 PM
    After all, nothing says true friendship like "If push come to shove, I have chosen this new messaging app over you."

Nice.
    bobauckland and avmsam like this.
    10-22-13 08:43 PM
    After all, nothing says true friendship like "If push come to shove, I have chosen this new messaging app over you."

Nice.
    No, no, I'll still talk to them through phone calls.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:53 PM
37 12