Hi Everyone,

I just bought a couple of Sonos speakers for my house and even though Sonos does not directly support BB10 I found a couple of 3rd party apps: "Room Tunes" and "Tiggit Controller for Sonos", both with very good reviews but kind of expensive and no free / trial version... I was wondering if any of you have actually used both and can give an objective comparison review? which one works better for you and what are your impressions?

One thing I would be interested to know is if the app will be available for download on my playbook once I purchase it on my BB10 (they both use the same BBID), I know this is depends on the developer... Both me and my wife have a Z10 and a playbook and I am willing to pay twice for a good app but definitely not 4 times, specially because the Sonos speakers are not cheap to begin with...

Thanks!
    10-21-13 10:40 PM
    wow I'm surprised no one has been able to give feedback on this. I would have expected some audiophiles to give some opinions...
    10-23-13 06:31 AM
    wow I'm surprised no one has been able to give feedback on this. I would have expected some audiophiles to give some opinions...
    Me too :-(

I have not purchased any yet just because I am still waiting for my new speakers to be delivered but I did some research and Room Tunes only works on BB10 (not compatible playbook) which makes me lean towards Tiggit, i sent them an email asking if I'll be able to download it on both buying it only once, I'll post an update once I figure that out...
    10-24-13 04:45 PM
    I havent used Tiggit, but roomtunes is an awesome app. Its all native cascades, not an android port. It detects systems quickly and easily, and does everything you want it to do smoothly. That plus it has a great UI, much better than the screenshots i've seen of the Tiggit app. It is a bit expensive, but its better than buying an android device as a controller or one of the sonos made ones.
    Lumute likes this.
    10-24-13 06:07 PM
    Hi I am a big time Sonos user. I was an early adopter over 8 years ago. I work in two countries and thus have two houses and two offices and I have them all fully installed with Sonos equipment. I even got Sonos installed at the sports club to which I belong. The reason I give this background is that having a Sonos app on my BB10 phone was the of the most important app requirements for me. With all the big time publicity that Instagram and Netflix get for not being on BB10, and the fact that Sonos is a niche app, it got little publicity. Well anyway, I got a Z10 (and later a Q10) and had to live with controlling my Sonos devices though other means. Then the Room Tunes app became available soon after the Z10 was released. To my surprise it is an amazingly great native app. It loads up fast and works. It does not have full support, such as some of the admin tasks, but that does not really matter so much. You can administer those functions from a PC other other device like an iPod or Android device since they are more one off settings. But for day to day use, particularly for your own music library, it is great. It does not support all of the services, but does enough of the important ones like Spotify, Songza and Rhapsody. Here is a little bonus: If you connect to multiple Sonos networks, like in my case, Room tunes is even better that the native Sonos app. That is because Sonos app can only be associated with one network at a time. For example my Android connected to my home Sonos network with not connect to my office network. I have to reset and reconnect every time. There are some kludgy workarounds to this (such as using common zone names), but it is basically one network at a time. With Room tunes on the other hand, it just automatically detects a Sonos network wherever you are. Since I have 4, this is beautiful feature, just not supported by the actual Sonos app. Tiggit??? Absolutely forget it. I used Tiggit on my old legacy blackberries and it was virtually unusable. They then eventually go it to BB10 and I paid for it and downloaded it. It is (was anyway) very buggy and not very usable. It even brought up some kind of popup that always had to be up. This may have changed. But bottom line, it is not in the same ballpark as Room Tunes. Take it from me. Room tunes while missing some features, works very nicely. Tiggit on the hand is a poorly written application that is not worth even trying out.
    Lumute likes this.
    11-04-13 01:26 AM
    I'm looking at getting Sonos with the play 1 - can you guys tell me whether your found it worth the money? No regrets getting it? I'm not a big music guy but I like the idea of having the multiroom control and the expandability.

I read in an old thread that 10.2 has built in Sonos support?
    11-04-13 09:43 PM
    Thanks a lot for your input guys! I decided to buy room Tunes and could not be happier, I have exchanged tweets with the developer and he answers fast, there is currently no version for the Playbook but they plan to have one next year, hopefully soon as the playbook would be the perfect Sonos controller with the 7" screen real state... They have also taken my input on a couple of improvements for a future release so I'm a Happy user.

Tiggit does have a playbook version but I emailed them asking if I had to pay twice to get the the app on both my Z10 and my Playbook and he answered that he was ok with only one payment but was not sure if App World would allow it... at the end what made me decide (apart from the input I got and reviews) is the fact that Tiggit was not native, developers that spend the time and do a good native app will always get my support over the lazy ones.

BTW Vijit, I understand the latest version of their controller app (Win / Mac / etc.) does support connecting to multiple Sonos networks, I only have the one so I have not tested it but I've seen the option in the menus...

I'm looking at getting Sonos with the play 1 - can you guys tell me whether your found it worth the money? No regrets getting it? I'm not a big music guy but I like the idea of having the multiroom control and the expandability.

I read in an old thread that 10.2 has built in Sonos support?
    Totally worth the money, after I got my first Sonos speaker (PLAY:1) I was so amazed and happy with it that I bought a Connect for my Living Room (where I have a nice 5.1 set of speaker already wired inside the walls) and another PLAY:1 for my Den, expensive but the wife liked it so much too that she was ok with me spending more money to expand the system to other areas... I'm not a big music guy either, most of the time I don't have a clue of what I am listening at, but for example, getting music that matches your mood from Songza is actually quite cool. I also use DAR.fm a lot to record and listen to my morning Radio show as I always end missing it, and I listen to radio stations from other countries in other languages which also works great.

Not sure about the support on 10.2. I don' t have any MP3s on my phone to stream to the Sonos, I'm sure its a good plus but to be honest, you can have thousands of MP3s in your phone and still be nowhere near the amount and diversity of music you can find in the online services available, and I don't even pay for any of them...
    11-07-13 03:26 PM
    I have Room Tunes. Works well. Would recommend.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 03:33 PM
    Hi Lumute,

I've been trying to do my research on Sonos before buying it but i'm having trouble finding user discussions regarding it so it is good to hear from someone who has it (and has the play 1 since it is brand new).

With bb10.2 and Sonos I was more wondering what all control is baked into it - is it just streaming and individual song from your phone to it, or does it offer full control? I'm guessing it is just the one song stream since everyone is getting roomtunes.
    11-07-13 03:43 PM
    Hi Lumute,

I've been trying to do my research on Sonos before buying it but i'm having trouble finding user discussions regarding it so it is good to hear from someone who has it (and has the play 1 since it is brand new).

With bb10.2 and Sonos I was more wondering what all control is baked into it - is it just streaming and individual song from your phone to it, or does it offer full control? I'm guessing it is just the one song stream since everyone is getting roomtunes.
    The PLAY:1 is quite a good speaker for the size, again I'm not an audiophile but reviews on the net all agree its an awesome little speaker.

I don't think there is any kind of control possible for the Sonos baked in 10.2, what I understand when they say its supported is that you can take a song you have in your phone and make it play on the speaker, this is probably done using the DLNA server baked into BB10 so you are just streaming the file to the Sonos speaker... I'll try it tonight when I get home and report back...
    11-07-13 04:42 PM
    How'd it go with testing the bb10.2 capabilities?

I bit the bullet this morning and ordered two play 1's with 2 free bridges (gonna save the second bridge instead of selling it - building a house next year and have a 3 acre yard so I might want to expand the zone). Having to pay $15 in recycling fee's on a free item does not seem fair to me.

Futureshop listed it as supposedly going in the mail today so they should be here by Tuesday - Wed. Be careful of different stores. Best buy has the play 1 on their website twice, one at a price of $219 and the other "on sale" at $229. And The Source will give you a $25 gift card with online purchase, but only if you do not take the free bridge.
    11-08-13 01:56 PM
    Ok, I can confirm when you are playing music on your phone with the Music app, on the "Now Playing" screen you can go to more options (...) and there is one that says "Play On", if you hit that one all your Sonos zones are listed with a picture of the zone player and its name, so you can send the sound to the an specific zone. I think that's about it for the Sonos integration, which is quite good in my opinion...

I bought my PLAY:1s directly from Sonos including the free bridges and shipping was very fast, no recycling fees... Their return policy is really good too, 45 days and if you decide to return they email you a prepaid shipping label to send it back.
    11-08-13 11:27 PM
    I got my first SONOS component about nine years ago! And nine years later, (still) nothing comes close in comparison!
    It's actually a good thing, in this case,that they left BlackBerry out of the link because ROOM TUNES is by far the BEST controller out there.

I've tried the others but they don't come close to ROOM TUNES.
    And anyone who complains about the prices of apps ( any app) is beyond belief!

And this is one app that is well worth the price.
    I have speakers in six different rooms. I have two Sonos Controllers, plus their software on four computers, but besides loving my Z10.. the Room Tunes app is just way more fun to use!

Rock on Room Tunes!

Buy the way, Rhapsody was recently
    added !
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 11-18-13 at 01:04 PM.
    11-18-13 12:49 PM
    I'm still trying to buy my first. I ordered it from Futureshop 12 days ago and there website glitches for a week letting the order be places but not processed. So they offered me a $75 discount to keep the order with them if I resubmitted. Which caused another website error. 5 days later futureshop no long has any in stock online and to pick up in store I would lose the credit. So I cancelled everything with them and went to The Source with pick up by Thursday. Hopefully this time the order actually works!
    11-18-13 12:54 PM