Like my title says, I'm a 19 year old college student and I'm looking to get my first phone plan. Like most of us here I want blackberry and I was thinking about the z10. Do you guys recommend it. I currently go through us cellular with a 9330....yeah...I know. Is blackberry 10+ a big difference in blackberry 6? What's different about it. I also have a playbook so I'll think my new phone to it as a side not. So I guess I have 3 main questions. Is blackberry 10 better than blackberry 6/how? Is z10 a good phone? And I can't decide what company to go through. Being in Maine/USA a lot of my state is a forest so I need a good coverage company. I was thinking either t-mobile, Verizon or AT&T. So far AT&T has the best price for the phone and plan. Do you recommend them? Or another company?
    10-21-13 07:51 PM
    Get the Z30 when it's released which has the new BlackBerry Paratek radios. They will adjust automatically in low signal areas.
    10-21-13 08:01 PM
    1. Yes, the Z10 is a good device. With the drop in pricing, it is worth the money.

2. the difference between BB10 and BBOS (6 and 7) is massive. It is an entirely new operating system relying heavily on gestures.

3. I can't speculate as to which carrier to go with since I'm in South Africa...sorry about that.

4. When it comes to reception...allegedly, there is no phone in the world that has better signal that the Z30 because of the black magic they use (Paratek Antenna). However, that phone isn't available in the US yet and might be considered too big.

5. I went from the Bold 9790 to the Z10 and I don't regret it at all! There are instructional tips as you start using the phone for the first time and there are videos online regarding all the neat little gestures.

I will defer the question regarding the carriers to someone in the area. :-)

I hope I was able to help at all.
    10-21-13 08:04 PM
    Get a Z10 or Z30 if you want something big. I love my Z10. Came over from an iPhone 4s and haven't regretted my decision for a second.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 08:09 PM
    Consumer Reports conducted a survey of the top 25 or so US markets for cell service (unfortunately none in Maine), however in nearly all of the surveys Verizon came out on top. US Cellular was tops in Chicago.and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

That said, Verizon is one of the most expensive carriers so if you are on a budget, it's something to consider. Of note is Verizon is now offering the Z10 for free when you sign up for a two year contract. If you shop around, you might find places offering gift cards for you to buy one. This is not an idicator of the phone's quality as I love my Z10 and don't feel bad about paying the $200 I paid for it at launch.

I agree with the other posters about the Z30's reception, it is supposed to be stellar, but the size of the phone is a stumbler for me.
    10-21-13 08:37 PM
    I know you said you are in college, but it might be worth it to take a trip over to New Brunswick and look at a Z30 in a Bell store. If you decide to get it, you can get an unlocked phone from them. Just buy the sim card for the carrier of your choice.

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    10-21-13 08:44 PM
    The Z10 is my first BBerry and it's impressive. I guess the pros of the Z30 are the antenna and the size. The cons for me are the size (I do think the Z10 is about as big as I want to go on a handheld) and on the Z30 (I believe) you cannot change the battery. You can on the Z10. A must for me.

I'm in So. Cali now, but originally from Vermont and still spend a bunch of time there -- much like Maine: bears, mosquitoes and ok but not great reception. I would recommend T-Mobile. I can roam onto AT&T where ever there is no T-Mo service (and in Vermont, some mom & pop networks). But T-Mo also has wifi-calling and I cannot over emphasize how terrific that service is. Where ever you have wifi you can make free domestic calls no matter where you are on the planet. Also, T-Mo now has an international package that, for most countries, makes phone calls a $.20/minute proposition. AT&T has neither of these services and Verizon is CDMA the phone will barely work on USA GSM networks as the GSM side is designed for overseas.
    10-21-13 08:49 PM
    The difference between BB6 and BB10... its like a different company. Its just so much better.

Also, I'm a university student as well (north of you, in Canada ). My Z10 keeps me organized and going. The Hub the Hub the Hub. Thats what you need... once you have it you won't know how you lived without it.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    10-21-13 09:02 PM
    Here are the reasons to NOT get a Z30 (as opposed to the z10):

1. Size : if you don't like bigger phones, go for a z10.

2. Battery: If you want to be able to swap out your battery, go for a z10.

3. Price: if you don't wanna spend as much, get an unlocked z10 direct from BlackBerry, I believe it's $400.

If none of those things are a big concern for you, the z30 would be a better fit. The z10 is a great phone, don't get me wrong. But the z30 improves on things like battery size/life, signal strength, sound quality (my only real gripe on the z10 is the so-so speaker quality), and build quality.

Being in the states, I imagine availability is probably a limiting factor, so you may just have to go for the z10 anyways.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 09:10 PM
    Oh and here's a fun fact:

Im currently at the gym, on a bike. My isp (shaw) offers a hot spot service through out the city allowing me to connect to my home wifi.

This in turn allows me to use my z10's native file manager and access my laptop at home (thru blackberry Link)and watch game of thrones in hi Def on this gorgeous screen, while on the bike in the gym. All without using my data plan.

That's the difference between bbos6 and bb10.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 09:18 PM