Anyone knows any GPS software with preloaded maps? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 06:59 AM
    Nope, all GPS programs that I have ever heard of all download maps as needed. Would be very hard for any program like that to stay current for very long without constantly updating the entire map. That is one reason actual paper maps become obsolete so quickly.

As long as you have a BB data plan it shouldn't be much of a problem

10-25-08 07:28 AM
    Most of the GPS systems that have maps on a memory card are things like Tom Tom which seem to be available for everything but Blackberry.

10-25-08 07:33 AM
    Most of the GPS systems that have maps on a memory card are things like Tom Tom which seem to be available for everything but Blackberry.

I'm currently using a HTC Windows Mobile which has TomTom on memory card with full western europe maps. It's fantastic. About to change to Blackberry bold so if it's true that I can't get this functionality i'll be disappointed indeed.
    10-26-08 07:25 AM
    On a side note -- is the preloaded GPS program in the Bold free as long as you have the data plan?
    10-26-08 10:41 AM
    On a side note -- is the preloaded GPS program in the Bold free as long as you have the data plan?
    Yes, my carrier has not disabled any of my phones GPS capabilities as I have heard is the case with some Verizon users.

So, foe me it's all free except that you need a blackberry data plan. I use BB maps (comes with) I use google maps and I use free Nav4all (audible turn by turn). Another one out there I haven't ried is AmazeGPS. Based on what I've read here on CB I chose Nav4all ( free until Jan 2010)

These are all free and fire up my phones GPS when needed.

10-26-08 10:59 AM
    Sweet. Thanks!
    10-26-08 11:02 AM
    Has anyone tried wisepilot?
    10-26-08 11:14 AM
    I believe you can now preload maps with Wayfinder, which looks like a great navigator.
    10-26-08 01:16 PM
    I emailed Garmin regarding their Garmin Mobile software which is said to be pre-loaded, so no need for data plan. They emailed me and told me the bold was not supported yet but may be very soon.
    10-26-08 01:45 PM
    Yes, my carrier has not disabled any of my phones GPS capabilities as I have heard is the case with some Verizon users.

So, foe me it's all free except that you need a blackberry data plan. I use BB maps (comes with) I use google maps and I use free Nav4all (audible turn by turn). Another one out there I haven't ried is AmazeGPS. Based on what I've read here on CB I chose Nav4all ( free until Jan 2010)

These are all free and fire up my phones GPS when needed.

PvT,
    How did you get Nav4all for Bold? I have checked their web site and the Bold it's notlisted.
    10-26-08 04:42 PM
    PvT,
    How did you get Nav4all for Bold? I have checked their web site and the Bold it's notlisted.
    I think I just went to www. nav4all.com (I had to put a space after the www just in this post so you could see the address) from my Bold's BB Browser and selected "Download Nav4All"

I've got a couple of Garmin GPS units, a care one and an outdoors hikers one. Withe the Garmin Nuvi for car I'm very spoiled with the turn by turn announcements including street names. With Nav4all you get "turn left in 200meters" that kinda thing. But hey, with Garmin You've got to buy the maps and/or they come preloaded. With our Bolds it's a whole different story.

nav4all works great, I like it.

Let me know if you are succesfull and take it for a spin... see how it fires up your GPS to find your present location... type in a destination, or find one via direct link to your address book.

Bye for now and Happy Trails!
    10-26-08 05:07 PM
    As far as I was aware there wasn't going to be a Pre-Loaded Maps App for Blackberry because of the "high speed data access to download Online Maps" and a low level of required support from the Companies, plus the fact the Subscription can't be manipulated like Offline Maps?

I would be very happy if Garmin/TomTom or even WayFinder did build an Offline Maps package! Would make Blackberry even better (if at all possible, well I guess it is because we are all wishing for this :s)

Anyone have any proof/leaked information about this as I am very interested in peoples sources for information on this one. Has any other Blackberry had this that perhaps supports backward compatability?
    10-26-08 05:45 PM
    As far as I was aware there wasn't going to be a Pre-Loaded Maps App for Blackberry because of the "high speed data access to download Online Maps" and a low level of required support from the Companies, plus the fact the Subscription can't be manipulated like Offline Maps?

I would be very happy if Garmin/TomTom or even WayFinder did build an Offline Maps package! Would make Blackberry even better (if at all possible, well I guess it is because we are all wishing for this :s)

Anyone have any proof/leaked information about this as I am very interested in peoples sources for information on this one. Has any other Blackberry had this that perhaps supports backward compatibility?

Anyone have any proof/leaked information about this as I am very interested in peoples sources for information on this one. Has any other Blackberry had this that perhaps supports backward compatibility?

Not sure how i have posted that 4 Times

Sorry . . .
    10-26-08 05:47 PM
    The reason maps are not pre loaded is so that they can rip you off rotten in Europe when you pop to another country and get charged like **** for data usage as you use the GPS. Nearly all GPS units have maps built in, Garmin has NO live mapping as far as I know, they get their money when you get an upgrade which you can choose to do or not to do. With live maps you are liable for all the data you download, so be aware if you are abroad. I think google maps will let you download certain sections, its worth exploring.
    10-26-08 06:32 PM
    Garmin Mobile on the Bold is working fine:

1) It only supports NORTH AMERICA at current.
    2) Its $79 @ handango.com if you use coupon LUCKY20. Search for : Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry One Time Purchase (9000)

The maps are OTA only. Nothing is stored on the Bold or the MicroSD.

I used it for the trial period. The turn by turn street directions OTA is nice. In 200 meters, turn left on Skanky St.

I already own a Windshield mounted Garmin Nuvi 650 that cost $325. I`m not spending another $79.
    Last edited by Spazmogen; 10-26-08 at 08:52 PM.
    10-26-08 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD