Will I be able to run background apps on my z10 finally?

And another question.

My z10 keeps being non responsive as in swipe up doesn't work to wake and power button is also acting up in this way as well.

It has the latest update OTA.

I have a fear that I'll send it out through Bell and they don't find anything and it just keeps acting up.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 09:37 AM
    No i don't believe so. I have the official leaked OS from OS 10.2 right now and there are no headless apps.
    There are always things running in the background. I guess you meant headless apps, right?
    10-21-13 09:45 AM
    BlackBerry just began approving apps for headless running. We should start to see some soon.

Fwiw, there have always been a few android ports that seem to run headless for me. Possibly some hub integration mimicked it or perhaps they truly run headless through a loophole.
    mexicangangboss likes this.
    10-21-13 10:21 AM
    Well I hope 10.2 is not a let down. I would just like to see some tweaks and stuff that would make life easier

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 10:35 AM
    10.2 allows it. The app devs need to code for it. So if your favourite app doesn't run in the background, take it to the dev, not BlackBerry.

9700 - 9900 - Z10
    10-21-13 10:51 AM
    It depends on both the developer and blackberry. Developers can implement it but needs blackberry to approve.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 10:51 AM
    BlackBerry just began approving apps for headless running. We should start to see some soon.

Fwiw, there have always been a few android ports that seem to run headless for me. Possibly some hub integration mimicked it or perhaps they truly run headless through a loophole.
    I have the same experience. I think this is due to the android runtime though. Using an android task manager port, I saw some android ports still running tasks even though I closed the app itself.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 11:18 AM
    Headless apps that run in response to triggers are supported under 10.2, but as others have mentioned developers have to code to the API. No special permission is needed from BlackBerry for these applications.

BlackBerry has started talking applications for permission for long running headless applications. These are applications that can run all the time. The API support for these applications will be released in 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 11:45 AM
    Can't wait til we see this in full effect. Hate leaving bebuzz open
    10-21-13 11:49 AM
    There was a post not long back on the Crackberry homepage about the limitations of headless apps under 10.2. I don't recall the specifics but they're severely limited in terms of how much cpu time and ram (I think 3mb) they can use while being headless. There were other issues as well, needing to basically code another version of the app that just ran headless. I'm just hoping that the BlackBerry devs knows what they're doing
    10-21-13 12:01 PM