So I haven't heard any talk of this yet but moving from Windows 7 to a Windows 8 laptop has been dreadful for me and many members of the CB community. Last night I installed the latest update from MS, Windows 8.1 and, of course, I am not here to talk about Microsoft or Windows, but I am here to talk about the problems we had with Windows 8 and the differences I'm seeing with 8.1. This may not be true for everyone and you may have had or still have different experiences. Hopefully this will help BlackBerry10 + Windows 8 users in this wonderful forum.

Windows 8 - Connecting to USB 3.0 will cause Windows 8 to crash. Some people here blamed BlackBerry 10 OS.

Windows 8.1 - With no change to my BlackBerry the Windows 8.1 system is now tolerating the connection. The rest of the issues may be BlackBerry, may be both with the problem.

W8 - After start up connecting my BlackBerry via USB garnered no results.

W8.1 - Same deal except Device manager starts up and my BB now gives me a notice that it is connected to a computer and what to do next. Nice but no actual connection. Link says it isn't connected either.

W8 - WI-FI connection didn't work. USB connection works after being connected to USB (2.0 only of course) and wifi turned on and only then Device Manager finds the device after a while. Still doesn't connect to WI-FI. USB only. Weird. NOTE: WIFI worked after a while only while connected via USB and would connect and disconnect every 3 seconds.

W8.1 - Slightly different. WI-FI only connects if plugged in (2.0 or 3.0) first to get Device manager to start. Then you can unplug and use wifi connection. How am I going to do backups now? No clue. Been trying for a while now and cannot get USB connection to go but using 3.0 is not causing crashes anymore. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. READ EDIT BELOW

W8 - Sucked

W8.1 - Still sucks. Just my opinion but I am not alone. Windows 7 is still outselling 8.

Ok I'm editing this because tryfe was right. Easy way to make sure this connection works is to connect your device and then follow the instructions on your device screen. Got to My Computer (This PC) and click the installer. Download and choose repair your version of Link and it all works again. Ok now go upgrade your Windows 8 to 8.1. It still sucks (well at least it's not Vista) but if you miss your desktop you can find new Personalization settings that bring it back so your computer will make Desktop mode the primary mode. FINALLY HAVE WORKING BLACKBERRY LINK USB 3.0.
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 10-18-13 at 10:30 PM.
    gfondeur and Chi Cong Nguyen like this.
    10-18-13 10:05 PM
    With 8.1 i've found that when connected via USB3, I get no BSOD. I had to redownload BlackBerry Link to 'repair the installation' to make the laptop recognize my Z10. I get no random disconnect/reconnects via USB2 any more either. I'm a happy camper.
    10-18-13 10:09 PM
    Thanks tryfe. Will try that next. Worked like a charm. Was going to do it anyway and should have but tried so many other things first. Glad to have USB3.0.

Edit: How long were you gonna keep this to yourself man? lol.
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 10-18-13 at 10:34 PM.
    tryfe likes this.
    10-18-13 10:12 PM
    Hmm, maybe now I can plug my BB into my laptop without my heart skipping a beat.
    eddy_berry and tryfe like this.
    10-18-13 10:18 PM
    Hmm, maybe now I can plug my BB into my laptop without my heart skipping a beat.
    Read edits and go for it.
    10-18-13 10:33 PM
    Read edits and go for it.
    I'd need to install 8.1 first. Microsoft Store kept derping on me.
    10-18-13 10:36 PM
    Ok fine I'll talk about Windows 8.1. The 8.1 update is more visually appealing. This can is especially noticeable in the Microsoft Store front. I really like the option where my laptop boots up to the desktop and I don't have to see the tiles unless I click the start button (or the press the physical windows button. nice option) It looks very nice now to me and my desktop background shows up behind the tiles when I do have to see them. This to me is more visually appealing than the tiles with some random colourful background. There was very little customization you can do with it, whereas now there is much more. You could make slideshow backgrounds for desktop before and now that same slideshow background can be displayed behind the app tiles in the Start menu as well. If you wanted to you could have a completely different slideshow behind the tiles too. Many visual changes. I hope they can find a good common ground for Tablet and PC users. I build my own PCs and this is the first time I haven't and instead bought a new laptop with Windows 8. Still liked my Windows 7 because I never had as many problems with it. Hopefully 8.1 and the next updates can fix that.
    10-18-13 10:48 PM
    Can't wait to get home and finally back up my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 11:05 PM
    Have 8.1. My Z10 and PlayBook showed up with wifi only media sharing without skipping a beat. As a matter of fact, I never plugged in either device. I just set sharing, rebooted devices and the desktop, without link running, I have full access to both devices, and dnla worked flawlessly on the Zed. Did I mention my PlayBook came up as a wifi sharing device? It did. First time this easily. Ever. So, no, I having zero issues. As a matter of fact, all the media sharing features have never worked better.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-19-13 01:40 AM
    And I will reply again once I actually try usb. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 01:42 AM
    I wonder if it could be a driver issue that some OEMs use? I have not updated my Toshiba that I installed Windows 8 on and have never had any problems. I also used a Lenovo with 8 on it with out issues. All using Link version 1.1 I believe.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-19-13 03:16 AM
    I wonder if it could be a driver issue that some OEMs use? I have not updated my Toshiba that I installed Windows 8 on and have never had any problems. I also used a Lenovo with 8 on it with out issues. All using Link version 1.1 I believe.

Posted via CB10
    On my Lenovo running Win8 always got troubles when z10 connected via USB 3.0
    Cannot verify the 8.1, as it is not available for me yet

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 04:04 AM
    On my Lenovo running Win8 always got troubles when z10 connected via USB 3.0
    Cannot verify the 8.1, as it is not available for me yet

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I just got an Acer to replace my dying Lenovo so I will see if it plays nice with my Z10 on USB 3.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I figured there would be differences between manufacturers. They have different build versions of 8. Glad to see some didn't have any problems, but many did from what I remember.
    10-19-13 09:20 AM
    Interesting. I just got an Acer to replace my dying Lenovo so I will see if it plays nice with my Z10 on USB 3.

Posted via CB10
    8.1 update is odd. I had the Microsoft Store open for like 15 minutes before it suddenly popped up out of nowhere. My buddy just turned his laptop on, opened the store and it was there.
    10-19-13 09:30 AM
    Bear in mind that BlackBerry Link treats the device to computer connection as a "network" connection, not like a traditional USB connection.

Therefore anything that might affect network connectivity (including security utilities, personal firewalls, etc) can also bork the Link connectivity to your BlackBerry.

Additionally, some Link functions require IPv6 to work. Example: remote file access.
    tryfe likes this.
    10-20-13 11:46 PM
    Had no problems with Windows 8 and the wifi/usb3 connection... BlackBerry Link was working how it should

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 04:23 AM
    So I haven't heard any talk of this yet but moving from Windows 7 to a Windows 8 laptop has been dreadful for me and many members of the CB community. Last night I installed the latest update from MS, Windows 8.1 and, of course, I am not here to talk about Microsoft or Windows, but I am here to talk about the problems we had with Windows 8 and the differences I'm seeing with 8.1. This may not be true for everyone and you may have had or still have different experiences. Hopefully this will help BlackBerry10 + Windows 8 users in this wonderful forum.

Windows 8 - Connecting to USB 3.0 will cause Windows 8 to crash. Some people here blamed BlackBerry 10 OS.

Windows 8.1 - With no change to my BlackBerry the Windows 8.1 system is now tolerating the connection. The rest of the issues may be BlackBerry, may be both with the problem.

W8 - After start up connecting my BlackBerry via USB garnered no results.

W8.1 - Same deal except Device manager starts up and my BB now gives me a notice that it is connected to a computer and what to do next. Nice but no actual connection. Link says it isn't connected either.

W8 - WI-FI connection didn't work. USB connection works after being connected to USB (2.0 only of course) and wifi turned on and only then Device Manager finds the device after a while. Still doesn't connect to WI-FI. USB only. Weird. NOTE: WIFI worked after a while only while connected via USB and would connect and disconnect every 3 seconds.

W8.1 - Slightly different. WI-FI only connects if plugged in (2.0 or 3.0) first to get Device manager to start. Then you can unplug and use wifi connection. How am I going to do backups now? No clue. Been trying for a while now and cannot get USB connection to go but using 3.0 is not causing crashes anymore. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. READ EDIT BELOW

W8 - Sucked

W8.1 - Still sucks. Just my opinion but I am not alone. Windows 7 is still outselling 8.

Ok I'm editing this because tryfe was right. Easy way to make sure this connection works is to connect your device and then follow the instructions on your device screen. Got to My Computer (This PC) and click the installer. Download and choose repair your version of Link and it all works again. Ok now go upgrade your Windows 8 to 8.1. It still sucks (well at least it's not Vista) but if you miss your desktop you can find new Personalization settings that bring it back so your computer will make Desktop mode the primary mode. FINALLY HAVE WORKING BLACKBERRY LINK USB 3.0.
    My Vista with ssd is flawless and fast. Sorry if you had issues with it in the past. Vista does need ram... a lot of it. Mine's an HP Elite Quad-core from 2008 w/ 6Gigs of ram, new OCZ ssd and 1TB hd. Back to topic...Link has always worked from day 1 and so has Desktop Manager for all 4 Playbooks and 3 Z10's... keep us posted on W8 please as one Z10 will be hooked up to a brand new HP 17" touchscreen laptop with a quad core and 16 GB ram. Costco custom order...should arrive within 2 days...hope it works as well as my old desktop.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-22-13 01:38 AM
    My Vista with ssd is flawless and fast. Sorry if you had issues with it in the past. Vista does need ram... a lot of it. Mine's an HP Elite Quad-core from 2008 w/ 6Gigs of ram, new OCZ ssd and 1TB hd. Back to topic...Link has always worked from day 1 and so has Desktop Manager for all 4 Playbooks and 3 Z10's... keep us posted on W8 please as one Z10 will be hooked up to a brand new HP 17" touchscreen laptop with a quad core and 16 GB ram. Costco custom order...should arrive within 2 days...hope it works as well as my old desktop.

Trusted Member Genius
    Oh I know Vista can be usable but most most people, when it released, did not have 6GB of RAM and an SSD. I have used Vista on my desktop for a while which had 8GB of RAM but Windows 7 made it a powerhouse.

Windows 8.1 is a big fix for BB10 users but I have heard a number of people who still have issues getting it to recognise their devices. The USB 3.0 issue is gone now at least so you don't have to worry about crashes when hooking it up. I have found issues with Video drivers on a Toshiba though but it is a nice update nonetheless. My new laptop is an HP and it works perfectly with 8.1.
    10-22-13 08:13 AM
    Reinstall BlackBerry Link.

Had to do that when I updated to Windows 8.1. When I plugged in my device originally upon Windows 8 to 8.1. upgrade, Link wouldn't recognize it and my Z30 wanted to reinstall Link. So I uninstalled my preexisting copy of Link and let the Z30 install a fresh copy. Upon restart, its all fine.

But yes BSOD cannot be fixed unless you have a SD card and enable SD card mounting or something like that in BB10 settings.
    10-22-13 08:16 AM