In cyprus at the moment. Have searched heaven and earth for gps or map program for the island. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-08 04:34 PM
    Try Google Maps????
    10-25-08 06:22 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Google maps has cyprus sat view, but not one road is mapped on street view.

10-29-08 02:37 AM
    Did you find finally the maps of Cyprus on blackberry with streets? The reason I am asking is because I am thinking to buy a blackberry but if I cannot get the maps, I will not buy it.
    02-12-09 03:04 PM
    Unfortunately you'd have to look at Garmin or TomTom to cover Cyprus.
    02-18-09 11:58 AM
    I just bought a blackberry bold and Cyprus is not listed in the maps. It�s like it was sank under the med.
    I was told that you can get the blackberry maps for Cyprus on the net. Can someone help me?
    I prefer not to use Google maps because Blackberry Data access from Cyprus (at least CYTA) is charged by the usage. Using google maps means downloading the maps real time.
    thanx...
    chris
    05-22-09 04:33 AM
    Unfortunately, Cyprus is a bit hard to get at the moment...

Firstly, Google Maps isn't even a proper option. You can get the satellite "Google Earth"-type view, but no street names.

The only place on the internet with full Cyprus maps, with searchable street names, is openstreetmap.org.
    That's basically the Wikipedia of maps.

There is a (complicated, fidly and time consuming) way to grab those and put them on a memory card (so you only use your GPS receiver through an application like Trekbuddy), but they can only be saved as "images", so searching street names and getting directions is out the window.
    I've done this, and to be honest it's fairly useless since you can't "zoom" per se but you need to keep loading different maps of different zoom levels.
    Finding a street even a couple of blocks away is very, VERY hard.

Garmin (a major GPS navigation company) apparently does have maps for Cyprus and a Blackberry application, but:
    a) you need to pay and
    b) you need an internet connection.

What happened was that, while other mobile phones can get Garmin maps on memory cards, Blackberries, due to their usually "unlimited data" plans and the stable server structures just get a Google Maps-like treatment, where the Garmin maps load off the internet.

I personally think that's incredibly stupid since it basically forbids you from using a map anywhere without a phone signal, which is why i didn't even try it.

So overall, good luck and if you find anything good, drop me a line too.
    05-22-09 09:24 AM
    You might also investigate mobileGmaps (not google) which like trekbuddy does allow you to download maps and place them on the card.

See the thread: "gps without data" or similarly named for info on how to compile the maps
    05-22-09 10:41 AM
    You might also investigate mobileGmaps (not google) which like trekbuddy does allow you to download maps and place them on the card.
    I actually haven't tried that one.
    I'll give it a go today or tomorrow. Thanks for that.
    05-22-09 11:13 AM
    Giorgo, I installed the MobileGmaps on my bold. The osmarender are great maps but I can't figure out how to search the street names.
    03-26-10 03:45 AM
    I have tried google maps in Cyprus. It gets to the point at a +- 6 meters precision. Indoors.

Anyone with a solution?

Παράθυρο Συζήτησης
    03-27-10 10:36 AM
    openstreetmap.org is the best source for Cyprus maps. Always updated, and better than the commercial ones. I don�t know how to transfer them into BB though.

Google Maps, from yesterday presents street names in greek letters: This is a good advancement
    03-30-10 12:14 AM
    openstreetmap.org is the best source for Cyprus maps. Always updated, and better than the commercial ones. I don�t know how to transfer them into BB though.

Google Maps, from yesterday presents street names in greek letters: This is a good advancement
    In few weeks you will get a perfect solution

03-26-11 06:15 AM
    In cyprus at the moment. Have searched heaven and earth for gps or map program for the island. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

In few weeks you will get a perfect navigation solution

03-27-11 02:28 AM
    Trekbuddy can get use open street maps. Pretty much any map source can be used by trekbuddy, even some bicycle maps.
    04-01-11 11:50 AM
    Trekbuddy can get use open street maps. Pretty much any map source can be used by trekbuddy, even some bicycle maps.
    but how can u do that?
    04-06-11 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD