The new series of Homeland is sponsored by Nokia over in the UK with good brand building ads that talk about the features of the phone- and Samsung and Apple have been omnipresent across all media for a long while.

Seriously, why have Blackberry done NO marketing for BB10.

I cannot recall seeing a single advert on the TV or in the press for BB10 - not the Z10, not the Q10, not the Z30. No billboards, no banner ads ... nada.

There must have been a little, but it was so little, and so hopeless, that I certainly didn't spot any of it.

There's been nothing short of a total marketing blackout from Blackberry.

Surely, when launching a major new OS, with the future of the company at stake, you would have invested heavily (circa $1 billion) in a huge brand awareness campaign.

I know people have their conspiracy theories regarding Blackberry at the moment (deliberately leaking bad news to lower share price, etc), some of which may be true, and some not, but regardless of any of this nonsense can someone explain why you would launch a major new OS and not back it up with a serious marketing campaign.

Can someone explain this to me?
    10-14-13 03:52 AM
    They did have a serious launch with the z10 but it failed, what you are seeing now is the 'we have got to offload these handsets but we need to do it at virtually no cost before we exit hardware'. Blackberry is simply too resource constrained to compete against any of the big handset players.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    10-14-13 06:14 AM
    It cost lots and lots of MONEY.

They couldn't sell devices when they were marketing a brand new product. Why would spending more money to market the same thing or even a slightly improved Z30 make a difference?

BB10 F A I L E D! There is no backup plan, all they are doing is cutting cost and doing what they can to try and survive long enough for it to be someone elses problem.
    CairnsRock and gfondeur like this.
    10-14-13 08:54 AM
    They did some marketing in Canada. Guess it's a regional thing.

Although it wasn't plentiful across the country nor was it effective.
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-14-13 09:11 AM
    Mktg. 101 is identifying your target market and tailor your campaign to that specific audience. They have given up on the consumer, hence no consumer ads. The new prosumer market appears to have a vague, nebulous definition.

If it turns out to be business to business (B to B) sales, which all indications show, then they are stuck with their large inventory of bb10 devices which were built for the consumer market which has failed.

So, sell at a discount or scrap, just like the Playbook only larger.
    10-14-13 10:44 AM
    The UK is surely one of the major markets.

I've been asking around at the office today and nobody can remember seeing anything at all. Absolutely nothing!

Surely, you reap what you sow. If you don't do any advertising then the end result is that you end up having to right-off all the unsold product, which is exactly what did happen!!!

Did they seriously thing the Z10 was so good that it would sell itself?
    10-14-13 12:53 PM
    Although it wasn't plentiful across the country nor was it effective.
    But surely this is Business 101.

There were supposed to be professionals at Blackberry handling the marketing campaign. This was in reality a new product launch and one would think they were given a large budget to achieve the marketing objectives.

How could they miss the mark by such a huge amount?

Did Apple lock them out of certain media outlets (e.g. if you take Blackberry's ads then Apple won't advertise with you) or what? Something odd happened for a marketing campaign to be so ineffective globally.
    10-14-13 12:57 PM
    But surely this is Business 101.

There were supposed to be professionals at Blackberry handling the marketing campaign. This was in reality a new product launch and one would think they were given a large budget to achieve the marketing objectives.

How could they miss the mark by such a huge amount?

Did Apple lock them out of certain media outlets (e.g. if you take Blackberry's ads then Apple won't advertise with you) or what? Something odd happened for a marketing campaign to be so ineffective globally.

BlackBerry marketed BB10 in the USA for months. They had ads in a number of prime time television shows and I saw ads in most every preseason NFL game I watched. Could they have done more.... YES! But many of us warned that BlackBerry did not have the pockets to come close to the marketing blitz that Apple and Microsoft can afford to put on.

And the simple FACT is you can't market an inferior product (BB10 BETA without a full ecosystem) and expect people to just buy into it. If BB10 had been BB10.3 and the top 30 or 40 apps had been available, then the marketing campaign would have been effective globally.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    10-14-13 01:15 PM
    it's sad, really sad
    10-14-13 03:32 PM
    take Blackberry's ads then Apple won't advertise with you) or what? Something odd happened for a marketing campaign to be so ineffective globally.
    What does Apple have to do with BB10 failing?

I doubt Tim Cook has a TH voodoo doll and sits around poking it with a pin.
    10-15-13 08:29 AM
    I doubt Tim Cook has a TH voodoo doll and sits around poking it with a pin.
    Actually, I read on the Internet....
    10-15-13 08:39 AM
    All the commercials I saw here were carriers commercials for the z10. Haven't seen anything for the z30 yet.

Everybody I know don't have a clue what a Z30 is, and it's available today. Good luck selling it.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    10-15-13 08:40 AM