Hi there!

I'm currently bidding on a Q10 on the EBays, listed as having a faulty keyboard. One of the letters is overly sensitive. I vaguely recall hearing about this popping up from time to time, and I'm wondering how easily the keyboard is replaced.

I'd rank my experience in disassembling phones as "mildly competent", though I did tear the screen ribbon cable on my Z10 when I initially swapped the insides from a black chassis to a white one. I feel that this, along with the installing of the replacement screen, and then the getting bored of the white chassis and moving it all back to the black (Yeah, I'm kinda like that) has left me with a pretty good idea of what not to do.

Couldn't find a teardown on iFixit (their Z10 teardown was super handy to have the first time), but if it's anything like the Z10 I can't see it being a huge problem.

So I'm wondering how easy the keyboard is to replace, compared with replacing the screen on a Z10, for example.

Also of importance: Truesupplier has both the back/door and bezel available in red, somehow. As anyone who has followed probably any of my hardware related threads should know by now, having a red phone is of the utmost importance to me. As of right now, they do not appear to have the front bottom in red. Or the keyboard, though I think that's asking a bit much, as the rest just seems to be spraypainted.
    10-14-13 02:00 AM
    Also I guess I should ask if anyone is familiar with the quality of the red back/door/bezel Truesupplier sells:
    Blackberry Q10 Rear Housing Cover Battery Cover Red :: Q10 :: Blackberry :: Housing / Faceplates :: Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories,iPhone Accessories,Galaxy Accessories & HTC Accessories wholesale Co.
    Blackberry Q10 Housing Bezel Middle Plate Red :: Q10 :: Blackberry :: Housing / Faceplates :: Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories,iPhone Accessories,Galaxy Accessories & HTC Accessories wholesale Co.

Literally it looks like it's just a white phone spraypainted red. Not thrilled at seeing the BlackBerry logo on the back painted over, either (I like the metal look on my Z10), and might have to do something about that.

Has anyone bought any of the coloured bezels from Truesupplier? They do gold and rose gold as well. Gold bezel with black back/front seems like it could be pretty awesome too.
    10-14-13 02:25 AM
    Looking at a few Q10s on ebay, damaged models mostly. Keyboard replacement doesn't seem like a big deal.

Some of them, however, are listed as "Active SIM card may be required for use." and "At the time of testing we are unable to verify mobile network connectivity. The phone powers on but we cannot guarantee it will be able to make/receive calls, SMS-MMS messages and other mobile network features.".

Does this mean that they just weren't able to check the phone with a SIM card before selling, or is this evidence of a larger problem? I've noticed that the seller lists this on all their "locked to Telus" phones, but not the ones locked to Rogers, so I'm guessing they just have no Telus SIM for testing purposes.

I suppose if I get the phone for under $200 and it doesn't work I can just sell it for parts.

Red bezel and battery/back should be here early next week, so I guess I need to find a phone for them soonish. Kicking myself for not being fast enough to snatch up a $200 phone off Kijiji yesterday.
    10-20-13 10:29 PM
    There are videos of "tear downs" of Q10s, where someone disassembles it and reassembles it.

I have changed the keyboard on my 9900s before, and they were very easy. It usually involves prying off the "chin" of the phone (where your carrier logo is located), and then there are two screws that you remove, then you pried off the keyboard, trying to not rip the cable, though in your case it sounds like that wouldn't even matter since you're replacing it.

Look up some videos of disassembling the Q10. This process was the same on my 9000 too, and the 9000 and 9900 and Q10 are all very similar in terms of the keyboards. The 9000 and 9900 were really simple to open and get into (9000 I replaced many trackballs and got a new keyboard with red numbers).

You should just try and buy the keyboard itself on ebay or something. You don't need an entire new device. Besides, if you just had the keyboard, you wouldn't have to worry about carefully taking the keyboard off the device you buy...you can just remove your current keyboard and replace it with the new keyboard.
    10-21-13 01:03 AM
    You should just try and buy the keyboard itself on ebay or something. You don't need an entire new device. Besides, if you just had the keyboard, you wouldn't have to worry about carefully taking the keyboard off the device you buy...you can just remove your current keyboard and replace it with the new keyboard.
    Ah, that's the trick, isn't it. I don't actually *have* a Q10. I'm looking to buy a damaged one on eBay and swap out the bad parts, hopefully saving myself a fair chunk of change. I keep seeing phones with stuck keys going from anywhere between $180-260. I'm just not very good at eBay sniping, I guess. Someone always seems to swoop in at the last second with a bid a few bucks over mine.
    10-21-13 01:06 AM
    I've done a 9900 in the past..it was fairly easy/painless folllowing teardown examples on youtube.
    10-21-13 01:07 AM
    HOW ARE Q10 KEYS ATTACHED MY SHIFT KEY FELL OFF BUT I FOUND IT

Posted via CB10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    10-22-13 05:55 PM
    I missed a delivery while I was in the shower today, so it looks like either my phone or my parts will be in my hands tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    10-28-13 07:54 PM
    And the package I missed was the back and bezel. They just left the Q10 in my mailbox.

Getting used to the keyboard would be easier if the A key wasn't so sensitive. Enters the letter at the slightest brush. Feels more like a touch screen on that key.

So first, to see if I can fix it just by taking it apart...

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 05:54 PM
    I just replaced my BBQ10 keyboard 'membrane' in my local GSM Service. It was straightforward and took about 20 minutes for a guy who sees Q10 for the first time. For me would take 30-40 minutes since I was looking how to do this. If You have any experience in this kind of fixes You'll have no problems with it.
    10-30-13 07:57 AM
    Q10 keyboard swap video:

I'm VERY interested in how easy the cables come off, and how the phone feels after you put the new keyboard in... is it still as sturdy as before, no sounds when you shake it etc? Please, let us know how it goes!
    10-30-13 09:22 AM
    Having issues with the Phillip's (+) screws holding the keyboard down on the inside. THey don't seem to want to turn at all and my screwdriver is starting to strip them.
    10-30-13 11:04 AM
    Yep, that's not coming out. They're completely stripped now

Who uses bloody Philips screws in small electronics anyways?
    10-30-13 11:11 AM
    The phone's red now, but the A key is still sticky. Going to have to look into what I can do about stripped screws...
    10-30-13 11:32 AM
    The phone's red now, but the A key is still sticky. Going to have to look into what I can do about stripped screws...
    Can you post a pic? I've seen the red back and bezel as well, and was wondering how it would look (or is that it in your avatar? I can't tell if it's a bumper/sticker/case or actual diff bezel)
    10-30-13 01:54 PM
    Yep, that's not coming out. They're completely stripped now

Who uses bloody Philips screws in small electronics anyways?
    try putting a rubber band, or the latex from a balloon over the screw and try taking it out, thats my goto trick for stripped screws... but i've never tried it on tiny screws like these.
    10-30-13 02:48 PM
    Also I guess I should ask if anyone is familiar with the quality of the red back/door/bezel Truesupplier sells:
    Blackberry Q10 Rear Housing Cover Battery Cover Red*::*Q10*::*Blackberry*::*Housing / Faceplates*::*Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories,iPhone Accessories,Galaxy Accessories & HTC Accessories wholesale Co.
    Blackberry Q10 Housing Bezel Middle Plate Red*::*Q10*::*Blackberry*::*Housing / Faceplates*::*Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories,iPhone Accessories,Galaxy Accessories & HTC Accessories wholesale Co.

Literally it looks like it's just a white phone spraypainted red. Not thrilled at seeing the BlackBerry logo on the back painted over, either (I like the metal look on my Z10), and might have to do something about that.

Has anyone bought any of the coloured bezels from Truesupplier? They do gold and rose gold as well. Gold bezel with black back/front seems like it could be pretty awesome too.
    You'd be better of using Etrade: http://www.etradesupply.com/blackber...berry-q10.html
    10-30-13 02:53 PM
    Can you post a pic? I've seen the red back and bezel as well, and was wondering how it would look (or is that it in your avatar? I can't tell if it's a bumper/sticker/case or actual diff bezel)
    Ease of Q10 keyboard replacement-img_00000182_edit.jpg

That's the photo I'm using for my avatar now. Took it with my Z10, but the camera glass is a little scratched on the inside so it came out fuzzy. When I can find batteries for my proper camera I'll take a few more, but that's the phone with the black bezel replaced with red. The back door and top bit are also red now, though I'm considering putting the black back on, but keeping the red bezel. Prefer the feel of the rubberized glass weave. This feels more like the white back on my Z10.

Edit: Looks pretty okay with the black back door and red bezel/top back bit. Not as awesome as full red, but much easier to hold. Going to have to make a decision on that one.
    10-30-13 03:44 PM
    You'd be better of using Etrade: BlackBerry Q10 Replacement Parts
    I use ETrade for most of my replacement parts, but they didn't have the red. Looks like they've recently gotten the gold (or, that looks like the rose gold) in, though, so the red could be coming.

Before I made a final decision on what phone I was going for I asked them about getting the red front and keyboard for the Q5, but they didn't think they'd have one available so I went this route instead. They're pretty great, communication-wise.
    Last edited by Baconwich; 10-30-13 at 03:49 PM. Reason: clarification
    10-30-13 03:48 PM
    I use ETrade for most of my replacement parts, but they didn't have the red. Looks like they've recently gotten the gold (or, that looks like the rose gold) in, though, so the red could be coming.

Before I made a final decision on what phone I was going for I asked them about getting the red front and keyboard for the Q5, but they didn't think they'd have one available so I went this route instead. They're pretty great, communication-wise.
    The gold looks aweome, I'm waiting for platinum.
    10-31-13 07:08 AM
    Looks like the red is already chipped, and I was babying this phone...

Poaasted with my asexy red Q10 with the wonky A key
    10-31-13 11:32 PM
    Haha. Chipping all over. Probably swap back to the black. Get a Crunk case or something.

11-01-13 01:26 PM
    Chipping already

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 07:31 PM
    Oh yes.

11-02-13 11:01 PM
    New keyboard came in the mail today right before I left for work.

Grabbed an elastic at work too try on the stripped screws. Might also try a flathead screwdriver. I've got all day to figure this out.

Way too excited about this.

11-07-13 07:05 PM
31 12