I have been a Q10 user for a couple of months. I have loved using the phone. I didn't realize how much I loved it until I had to take it in for service (malfunctioning screen).

I used my iPhone 3GS for a few days, but I'm a heavy email user and the small touchscreen was killing me.

So I switched to my Bold 9900 (which I remember being the best phone I had ever used.)

After using a Q10 and the BB10 OS, the Bold feels old, slow, and just plain boring IMHO.

It's slow to load, the browser is so much slower than my Q10's, and the user interface is so much more basic. After experiencing LTE speeds, it feels like dial-up vs cable internet.

The only things that I'll admit the 9900 does better than the Q10 is selecting text using the SHIFT key and the trackpad. In fairness, to the 9900, the keyboard is also fantastic. Not as good as the Q in my opinion, but a close second best.

Aside from that, it's not even a close comparison. Can't wait for my Q to be fixed so I can return to BB10.

It took me a while to upgrade to BB10, but after experiencing it in full, Legacy devices will never again cut it. If you don't like change and don't use your phone for more than talking, emailing and texting you dont NEED a Q10.

But you're missing out on a whole new world never before possible to Blackberry users.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    beamolite and ny1979 like this.
    10-11-13 12:50 PM
    I haven't got the Q, but I do have the Z. You are right, I find the BB10 devices to be vastly superior to legacy, for my taste and for my use.
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    10-11-13 12:58 PM
    Agree...I tried to jump on my 9930 this morning and the trackpad seemed so out of place. LOVE the Q10
    10-11-13 01:41 PM
    If you don't like change and don't use your phone for more than talking, emailing and texting you dont NEED a Q10.
    Well, with the exception of wanting a better web browser, you described me pretty well there.

I've been using both Slacker and the BlackBerry music application a lot lately. Do those work well on the Q-10?
    10-11-13 04:05 PM
    Slacker works flawlessly, personally my favorite music service. I never use Blackberry Music, so that I can't speak to unfortunately.

10-11-13 05:37 PM
    After using a Q10 and the BB10 OS, the Bold feels old, slow, and just plain boring IMHO.

[CUT] and the user interface is so much more basic. After experiencing LTE speeds, it feels like dial-up vs cable internet.
    I personally don't mind BBOS for my purposes, yet I agree with this section of your post. I actually think the text selection on the Q10 is fairly good, for a touchscreen.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    10-11-13 07:21 PM
    Except you can't charge the Q10 with contacts you have to use the USB port. Plus the 9900 has that instant on/off feature.

Yesterday I was on a flight from Las Vegas (and BlackBerry dominated, from my seat I could see 5 others and there was a Curve, a Q10 a 9900 and I had my Z10, which was 4 out of 6.) On landing they said we can now use our phones and the guy beside me turned on his 9900 and responded to 3 messages while my Z10 and the other Q10 were still booting.
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-11-13 08:01 PM
    Except you can't charge the Q10 with contacts you have to use the USB port. Plus the 9900 has that instant on/off feature.

Yesterday I was on a flight from Las Vegas (and BlackBerry dominated, from my seat I could see 5 others and there was a Curve, a Q10 a 9900 and I had my Z10, which was 4 out of 6.) On landing they said we can now use our phones and the guy beside me turned on his 9900 and responded to 3 messages while my Z10 and the other Q10 were still booting.
    Just use airplane mode, no need to power down at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 08:15 PM
    I would agree as well. He speed, gestures and multi tasking makes the 9900 feel clunky and slow.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 08:17 PM
    I haven't got the Q, but I do have the Z. You are right, I find the BB10 devices to be vastly superior to legacy, for my taste and for my use.
    WHAT! You haven't got the BlackBerry named after you?
    10-11-13 08:40 PM
    Just use airplane mode, no need to power down at all.

Posted via CB10
    Except they said OFF, no airplane mode, so I turned it off.
    10-11-13 09:44 PM

I personally have never used contacts to charge, but if one is used to that, it would suck not having it available. I agree that the boot up time is pretty long though. The 9900 is probably the quickest modern Blackberry from a boot up time perspective. It seems to be faster than phones above it, and below it in the line up. Don't know why that is.

In any event, as with anything in life, each should use what works for them. The 9900 is still an amazingly effective communication device, just without the bells and whistles of BB10. (Which I now enjoy.)

Truth be told, if I only had this 9900, I'd probably spend less time on my phone, and more time being productive in the real world... :P

10-11-13 10:46 PM
    Pre-BB10 devices didn't really shut down when shut off, they would go into a deep sleep instead. Hence why on pre-BB10 devices you had to remove the battery to truly power cycle the phone. So that comparison really is apple to oranges. Try comparing both from a cold boot; pre-BB10 after battery removal and BB10 from shut off. I bet you'll see a completely different result.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    10-11-13 11:21 PM
    That's OK. Just next time don't turn it off.

The 9900 takes ages to boot as well. I just booted mine from a clean cfp flash and it took longer to boot than my Q10. So I suspect the 'off' feature on those phones you are talking about isn't actually turning it off. Just a very low power mode. Try taking out the battery and putting it back in to your 9900 and you'll understand.
    Putting yours in airplane mode would be functionally equivalent.
    10-11-13 11:39 PM
    I personally have never used contacts to charge, but if one is used to that, it would suck not having it available.
    I use them all the time; my 9930 sits on our dresser as both a night clock and an alarm clock when I need it. My wife can't figure out how to do that effectively with her Galaxy Note II, so we both use my 9930 as an alarm clock.
    10-12-13 12:56 AM
    The only thing the 9900 has on the Q is design, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 12:59 AM
    Preaching to the choir. Love me some Q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 04:57 AM
    That's OK. Just next time don't turn it off.

The 9900 takes ages to boot as well. I just booted mine from a clean cfp flash and it took longer to boot than my Q10. So I suspect the 'off' feature on those phones you are talking about isn't actually turning it off. Just a very low power mode. Try taking out the battery and putting it back in to your 9900 and you'll understand.
    Putting yours in airplane mode would be functionally equivalent.
    When they say anything with a power switch, even headphones, must be off then I turn it off...there are a few laws about disobeying instructions on an aircraft.

Yes, I know about boot times since I still have a 9900 but the point is they should build on what was successful in the past so if charging contacts were a selling point for a premium device they should have kept them. And why not a suspend mode for BB10? Instant on/off was also a selling point and so was the auto on/off feature but these little things are all missing from BB10.

The same day I got back from Las Vegas my Q10 was delivered and although it feels better than my Z10 it lacks the premium look of the 9900, it is a much better OS but they should have kept the premium features.
    10-12-13 08:08 AM

The only things that I'll admit the 9900 does better than the Q10 is selecting text using the SHIFT key and the trackpad. In fairness, to the 9900, the keyboard is also fantastic. Not as good as the Q in my opinion, but a close second best.
    I just realized yesterday that the SHIFT key method works to select text on 10.2.0.1767 (Q10 and Z10). Just bring up the text circle and you're good to go.

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs likes this.
    10-12-13 08:20 AM
    I just realized yesterday that the SHIFT key method works to select text on 10.2.0.1767 (Q10 and Z10). Just bring up the text circle and you're good to go.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean? You mean holding down the Shift key and moving the text circle (by tapping its edges or dragging it) will select text? Great! I don't have that on Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1443.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 08:30 AM
    What do you mean? You mean holding down the Shift key and moving the text circle (by tapping its edges or dragging it) will select text? Great! I don't have that on Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1443.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 08:39 AM
    Bold9900 from fully off doesn't boot as fast as bb10. Fast boot mode == don't turn completely off. And yes I have both... 9900 no longer has a sim, but I still have it.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 09:38 AM
    WHAT! You haven't got the BlackBerry named after you?
    I wanted the white, but I'm not in VZW.

I can get it now from Blackberry directly.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 09:55 AM
    I love my Q10 in every way except messaging is definitely better on the 9900. Whenever I'm swapping between chats it takes forever for them to load. It's such annoying lag I hope it's fixed in 10.2

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    10-12-13 05:18 PM
    When they say anything with a power switch, even headphones, must be off then I turn it off...there are a few laws about disobeying instructions on an aircraft.

Yes, I know about boot times since I still have a 9900 but the point is they should build on what was successful in the past so if charging contacts were a selling point for a premium device they should have kept them. And why not a suspend mode for BB10? Instant on/off was also a selling point and so was the auto on/off feature but these little things are all missing from BB10.

The same day I got back from Las Vegas my Q10 was delivered and although it feels better than my Z10 it lacks the premium look of the 9900, it is a much better OS but they should have kept the premium features.
    You could just tell them you thought that locking the screen turns the phone off. It'd be easy to make that mistake as obviously the 9900 owners have done if they are instantly turning on their device.

Posted via CB10
    tempered likes this.
    10-12-13 10:22 PM
28 12