Hi,
    I've been a devout supporter of RIM / Blackberry for a number of years and in my various IT management roles have rolled out there hardware / infrastructure in a number of firms I've worked for. However in this last year I've migrated to office 365 from having my own exchange & BES servers.
    Recently I requested a new 9900 handset from O2 in the UK, to be told that they are no longer available and I'd have to either have one of the new Z range or the 9720 (from memory). After digging a bit deeper about the Z & Q range I uncovered a real can of worms for future use. The Z & Q models will only talk to a BES 10 server (i'm told) by an active sync connection to the BES side of things.
    This in itself is not an issue to most users, but couple this with O2 and most other networks appear to be pulling the plug on dedicated blackberry tarriffs in favour of just plain bandwidth and you get a huge problem if your users travel overseas and use roaming data. I'm reading that BES10 does not have the ability to compress like the previous version of bes server. So roll on huge phone bills in the future! Yes I'm aware of the EU data policy, but what happens if you take your blackberry out of the EU? You can almost see the $ rolling round in the eyes of the network providers!

Current legacy handsets can still connect to Office 365 / BES solution, but i'm wondering how long it will be before BES 10 is deployed by M/Soft & RIM and then the current configuration is slowly killed off in favour of BES 10?

My take on this is that it's a huge backward step for corporate users and also makes me wonder who in RIM thought to make BES 10 run like this!
    Wandering_Sumo likes this.
    10-10-13 09:41 AM
    First of all RIM has already self destructed itself, it is Blackberry now
    Regarding your question, there has already been discussed long back in other forum posts when BB10 was being introduced.
    Definitely this has both pros and cons looking from different perspectives.
    10-10-13 10:28 AM
    don't have much to say other than his is bb. they killed themselves multiple times, but nothing they do makes sense.

BTW welcome to crackberry!
    10-10-13 10:33 AM
    This puts BB on par with just about every other device used in enterprise, how is this self destructing?
    10-10-13 12:43 PM
    This puts BB on par with just about every other device used in enterprise, how is this self destructing?
    +1

A BlackBerry 10 devices method of usage when you are a 'consumer' is now no different from any other platform, that's not self destruction it's parity ?.

If you're an Enterprise though, using BES 10 and a Regulated activation then nothing has really changed. You get just about everything you did with OS 7 and earlier but with decent sized screens and very useful business apps like Work Drives. Plus next year when the new 'Regulated' CAL becomes available things for an Enterprise get even easier as you can then place any old data SIM in the device and get corporate data, saving you loads of cash when you roam (and then you can start to use providers like Truphone).
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-11-13 02:19 AM
    +1

A BlackBerry 10 devices method of usage when you are a 'consumer' is now no different from any other platform, that's not self destruction it's parity ?.

If you're an Enterprise though, using BES 10 and a Regulated activation then nothing has really changed. You get just about everything you did with OS 7 and earlier but with decent sized screens and very useful business apps like Work Drives. Plus next year when the new 'Regulated' CAL becomes available things for an Enterprise get even easier as you can then place any old data SIM in the device and get corporate data, saving you loads of cash when you roam (and then you can start to use providers like Truphone).
    hard to say that "nothing has really changed". The BES no longer does mail sync in any form. Activesync, whilst an effective sync mechanism is somewhat data hungry. Even when going via BES (in whichever form) and taking some extra compression from that connection, the average data use for our 400 BB10 users (out of a total fleet of 850) is around 2.5 times greater than BES5. As a global company this is esecially felt by our travellers where some bills have increased by '00s of � a month.
    10-14-13 03:53 AM
    hard to say that "nothing has really changed". The BES no longer does mail sync in any form. Activesync, whilst an effective sync mechanism is somewhat data hungry. Even when going via BES (in whichever form) and taking some extra compression from that connection, the average data use for our 400 BB10 users (out of a total fleet of 850) is around 2.5 times greater than BES5. As a global company this is esecially felt by our travellers where some bills have increased by '00s of � a month.
    Well, to the enterprise end user it's business as usual, but yes things are different for Admin's.

I'm very intrigued though by your comments on data usage (and the fact that you appear to be an Admin in the UK ?) which is an area which does concern me. Do you believe that your 2.5x increase in data usage is purely down to BES 10 using EAS and no longer MAPI ?, what do you do in regards to the following ?...

# Web Browsing: As we now have a proper browser are your users using it more than they would have done in the past and consuming more data ? Do you pass browsing activity through a proxy at all to restrict this ?.

# Activation Type: Are you a Regulated / Work Only or Corporate / Balance house ?

# Access to Apps: I suppose this depends upon the above, if Balance then users will be gobbling up data.

... I'm very slowly creeping to towards rolling out BB 10 so I can't yet comment on changes to data usage but I'm keeping my eye on it. When used with our 'home' carrier it's not an issue but like you we have a selection of users that travel internationally that concern me.
    10-14-13 10:44 AM
    I'm a bes Admin UK based. Running bes10 since Feb. I travel a lot in Europe and the extra roaming cost thiis year vs last has increased a negligible amount. And I don't actively stop myself browsing etc when abroad

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 01:53 PM
    Our BES 10 usage is roughly the same as BES 5 but out data increased quite a bit. The better browser, better screen, personal side and LTE make up a huge difference. We have unlimited domestic and international data so I am not worried there. I suspect our voice usage will drop with other forms of communication becoming increasingly more common. Things like BBM voice for instance.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 01:55 PM
    ...We have unlimited domestic and international data so I am not worried there...
    Unlimited International data would definitely ease any concerns, however, with UK carriers this is not cheap at all and so far I'm not aware of any UK carriers that offer plans / tariffs that share the data between them.
    10-15-13 02:32 AM
    Unlimited International data would definitely ease any concerns, however, with UK carriers this is not cheap at all and so far I'm not aware of any UK carriers that offer plans / tariffs that share the data between them.
    That is unfortunate, though I suspect much more common than our arrangement.
    10-15-13 06:04 AM