Hello All,

I have disabled the diagnostic monitoring for blackberry two days ago and i seem to be experiencing some battery life increase in the last two days since the change (my usage is fairly consistent day to day with music playing, flash based web browsing, texts/messaging and facebooking and a few phone calls).

I am running OS 10.1.4181

my usual usage on battery runs from 7am until 10 pm and it goes down to about 25% on that usage pattern.

its now 9 PM PST and my battery life is 62%.

Can anyone try disabling the diagnostic monitoring and see if this does the same for you or am I just experiencing a placebo effect?

to disable go to settings/security and privacy/diagnostics
    10-09-13 11:07 PM
    Yep it does
    People have reported this since release, but it's good that you brought it up again for the ones that didn't know

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 11:27 PM
    Just turned it off, so will see.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 11:32 PM
    That would be much expected.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 12:07 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't know that the impact on battery life was so noticeable.

I checked and realized that I already have diagnostics disabled. Perhaps, this is one of the settings that are determined when one first sets up the device. I don't recall disabling it though.

BBQ10
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 10-10-13 at 12:30 AM.
    10-10-13 12:14 AM
    good to know, I'm gonna test,
    10-10-13 12:19 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't know that the impact on battery life was so noticeable.

I checked and realized that I already have diagnostics disabled. Perhaps, this is one of the settings that are determined when one first sets up the device. I don't recall disabling it though.

BBQ10
    It asks you whether you want to send diagnostics to BlackBerry or not on first setup. Most likely you chose not too

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 08:23 AM
    Just done mine running 10.1

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 08:45 AM
    Thanks, just turned it off. It should save some battery life since it appears to send info to BlackBerry on a regular basis.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:49 PM
    How to disable it?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:53 PM
    How to disable it?

Posted via CB10
    Go into Settings->Security and privacy->Diagnostics and just move the toggle

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 12:15 AM
    not sure if it helps, but surely change your network connection to 2G only boost ur battery life significantly
    10-11-13 03:51 AM
    Keep in mind that it's these diagnostic settings that allowed BlackBerry to figure out the Verizon rebooting Z10 issue, so they're not useless.

My favourite story from the US launch was when someone called BlackBerry tech support about the reboots, and using diagnostic information and his phone's PIN they were able to tell that something had been pressing down on the power button a lot. Turned out it was a too-tight case.

So it does tend to come in handy, at the cost of a slight battery drain.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    10-11-13 04:40 AM
    Wow! Your battery life even before the change seems very good compared to mine. I don't do videos on my phone but I use wifi in the office and Bluetooth in my car so both of those are on all day. I reply some personal emails on my phone but that's about it. By mid day I'm at 60% and by 6 when I head home it's practically dead. I have to put it on the charger in the car while I drove home.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    10-11-13 08:06 AM
    not sure if it helps, but surely change your network connection to 2G only boost ur battery life significantly
    Those of us with AT&T do not have that option. Our phones automatically look for the fastest network connection with no user ability to alter that.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    10-11-13 08:10 AM
    Thank you for this tip! I have now turned it off... if the Z10 starts to have crazy issues, i'll flip it back to let it collect some diagnostic data.

I hope this helps, as my battery life has been terrible recently. I used to get at least 12hrs, but in the last 2wks it hasn't lasted until the end of the workday. Down to 75% by 9am, only unplugged at 7:30. And I don't do any media, wifi / NTC always off unless needed, apps off immediately after use, screen at lowest brightness.

I'll report back in a couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 09:29 AM
    Thank you for the reminder. It's useful information that tends to be forgotten from time to time and it is not obvious to those new to BB10. I think a sticky should be placed in the main BB10 Hub forum for things like this where info about it can be easily found. It has been mentioned in some CB articles but maybe they should do a full blown review on the diagnostic monitoring feature for the world to see.
    10-11-13 09:35 AM
    It asks you whether you want to send diagnostics to BlackBerry or not on first setup. Most likely you chose not too.
    Yes, I agree. Either I or the Verizon rep who was preparing the phone for me in the store must have disabled the option.

BBQ10
    10-11-13 12:57 PM
    Disabling BlackBerry Link also helps
    After 10 hours battery is at 55%

Posted via CB10
    Robin Lim likes this.
    10-11-13 01:03 PM
    for most of the day I am on wifi so a good data signal strength does make a difference for my device battery performance. On the weekends I am primarily on LTE so there will be more drain and closer to your drainage pattern.
    10-11-13 01:05 PM
    Works ok with 10.1 extra. Hour

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 01:10 PM
    Disabling BlackBerry Link also helps
    After 10 hours battery is at 55%

Posted via CB10
    It does? That's a new one for me

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 01:25 PM
    And there's no use of getting a BB10 phone. Better get a legacy BB coz they were designed to cope with the slow network.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 03:24 PM
    Hello All,

I have disabled the diagnostic monitoring for blackberry two days ago and i seem to be experiencing some battery life increase in the last two days since the change (my usage is fairly consistent day to day with music playing, flash based web browsing, texts/messaging and facebooking and a few phone calls).

I am running OS 10.1.4181

my usual usage on battery runs from 7am until 10 pm and it goes down to about 25% on that usage pattern.

its now 9 PM PST and my battery life is 62%.

Can anyone try disabling the diagnostic monitoring and see if this does the same for you or am I just experiencing a placebo effect?

to disable go to settings/security and privacy/diagnostics
    Yeah correct. Keeping the diagnostic on will mean that from time to time your phone will try to send some data to BB for their R&D purposes which will yeah... sip your battery from time to time.

However, this is like the chicken & egg situation. We need BB to keep moving and for them to do that, they need our feedback right? If they don't have the diagnostics data then how can their R&D team improve the BB experience on the BB10????

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 03:27 PM
    That's very valid, and if that's the case then I will let everyone else be the guinea pigs while I get to use my device a little more in the day without worries of powerloss.
    10-11-13 04:09 PM
33 12