So... I have had a Blackberry for the past several years. Be it the 9700 or the Bold 9900, and then the Z10 and finally the Q10, I really loved my blackberry phones, especially the Z10. I sold it a few months ago and got a Q10 because I thought I couldn't live without the physical keyboard. Then I missed the extra screen real estate.
    Anyhow, I sold my Q10 last week and reluctantly got an iPhone 5. I love my macbook but I could never hop on the iPhone bandwagon because I hate having the same **** everyone else has. As we all know everyone and their mother has an iPhone these days. Still, I decided it was time to give Apple a chance. First things first, the iPhone 5 screen turned out to be MUCH SMALLER than what I was expecting. For the record I don't like the Galaxy phones because they're imo too damn big. Having said that, I found the iPhone's screen to be a bit too small for my liking. Keep in mind I am coming from a Q10. Then... there's the notification center... it's useful but not as useful as the "HUB". I can't really respond directly from there, the phone takes me to either Facebook/iMessage/etc in order to reply. But I guess most of you already knew BB10's biggest strength is messaging. Again, I must reiterate that I've never owned a smart phone not made by Blackberry/RIM so this is all new to me. The multitasking... man, I really hate having press twice that home button. It's not that I hate pressing buttons(I love legacy BBRRY devices DUH!), it's just that the iPhone's home button feels very fragile and every time I push it, I feel like I might break it. Then there's the iPhone's keyboard.... Obviously I went from a z10 to a q10 because I preferred the physical keyboard but I still appreciated the z10 keyboard. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the iPhone's keyboard. It's just not as well designed and convenient as the Z10's. For instance you can't combine two languages when inputting text on iOS7. The only way to get around this is to manually change the keyboard to a different language, and every time you wanna switch languages, you have to repeat this process. Nothing major but again, it's annoying. Then of course I one of the things I miss the most is the red LED. Man! like I said I've never owned anything but blackberries so I'm used to that flashing red light, which I don't have anymore. Then there's this minor function that I used quite often on BB10 devices and that's missing from iOS7....which is being able to access the wifi app directly from their "control center", unlike on BB10, I can only turn wifi on and off but I can't access the list of wifi connections available. The same applies to being able to specify the type of network one wants to use(Edge/3G/4G/LTE), on the iPhone all I have is an option to turn on LTE.

Now, on to the things I really like about the iPhone... The icons, I've read in apple foums that they're almost uniformly hated by iphone users but I like color so I dig them.
    Then, the fluidity and snapiness(for lack of a better word). Everything runs so smooth, a lot smoother than BB10. The apps(obviously optimized for this platform) run with such fluidity... really, I can only praise Apple in this aspect.
    And yes, there's a ton of apps and they're all the real thing(no knock-offs) but that's not something that matters too much for me. I was able to sideload apps like instagram and crunchyroll on my q10 and z10. The thing is they run much better on iOS, which again, it's something everyone already knew, it's anothing thing to actually see/experience it live though. The Skype app for instance is a delight to use on the iPhone, on the z10/q10 not so much.
    I also like having the option to choose a different wallpaper for the lock screen and the homescreen--and I know there is a way to do this in BB10 but it's not something that's natively implemented in the OS.
    Still, having the chance to pick only one phone, I would stick with the Z10. To me, it's the perfect size, it's sleek, yet not too flashy. I like how simple most things are on BB10, though everything could and should run smoother.
    Having said all that, I don't regret my purchase... I plan on keeping the iPhone for a couple of months and see how it goes, in the end I'll probably end up selling it and we all know for a fact that they retain their value much better than other smart phones. We'll see what the state of Blackberry is at that point, hopefully much better than what it is now(fingers crossed).
    JTon, aragone79, cman5 and 1 others like this.
    10-08-13 11:24 PM
    You would stick with the z10, but you wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 12:04 AM
    I don't think I would've ever switched to iPhone if I hadn't switched to a Q10 first. Not sure if that makes sense but that's how I feel.
    Unlike most people who switch, apps are not a priority to me, and I am not ashamed of rocking a blackberry device. In fact, the reason why I liked BB10 phones so much is because they're rare. In other words, you don't find a lot of them in the wild. I know I was the only person I know(family/friends) who owned a bb10 device and that was one of the reason I loved my z10. Sure, it's sad what's happening to Blackberry but if I sincerely did not want everybody in the world to buy a z10 and have it become as popular as the iPhone or Galaxy.
    10-09-13 12:23 AM
    I don't know how well, if at all, the z10 compresses data. If it does, you're already spending more by owning an iPhone. So, good luck and don't go broke.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:11 AM
    As far as specs go, the new Apple iPhone 5s is under the Z10. For a $900.00 + phone, it lacks in several areas, when compared to the Z10.

I will take a second hand Z10 for $180.00 to $250.00 any day, before blowing $900.00 for an iPhone.

Think processor speed, removable battery, extra storage, java, flash....and all the rest of the great stuff a Z10 offers you.....

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:16 AM
    As far as specs go, the new Apple iPhone 5s is under the Z10. For a $900.00 + phone, it lacks in several areas, when compared to the Z10.

I will take a second hand Z10 for $180.00 to $250.00 any day, before blowing $900.00 for an iPhone.

Think processor speed, removable battery, extra storage, java, flash....and all the rest of the great stuff a Z10 offers you.....

Posted via CB10
    Agree with this. Buy a second hand Z10 (prefer STL 100-2/3/4), cheaper than new one.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-09-13 01:23 AM
    Agree with this. Buy a second hand Z10 (prefer STL 100-2/3/4), cheaper than new one.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using CB Forums mobile app
    the thing is the iPhone 5(not 5S) that I got is also second hand, and I just paid 300 bucks for it. I would never pay 900 dollars for a phone. For the record I believe brand new off-contract iPhones 5S are around 700(tax included) if you buy straight from the Apple phone. Still a lot of coin, but it's not quite 900 bucks. Anyways, like I said, I wanted to go back to Z10, if you check the Marketplace thread, I inquired about z10 several times in the past week but no one was willing to sell me one for 200 or less. Plus no one really had a T-Mobile one, or at least an unlocked one in pristine condition. The iPhone 5 I ended up with has a bit of wear and tear on the edges but the front and back are pretty much flawless.
    Again, I mainly got it to try it out, so don't hate me
    10-09-13 02:36 PM