So I got my PlayBook literally about a week before they announced it wasn't getting BB10.

I still gave it a chance, because I just paid �150 for it.. so why not?
    Anyway I've used it allot, As a music player, DVD Player, Bigger screen for browsing even when my Z10 is in my pocket & For games.

Then tonight I just spent about 2 hours downloading Android apps and converting them, I'm so surprised how many actually work, Easily have about 50 sideloads working on my PB now. I think its brillaint!

Yeah it can be slow at times, Goes insane every now and then, Appears to get drunk when I'm not looking then **** about for a few hours, but I love the little guy! My only problem is, that BlackBerry can't support it better! I'm not blaming them, I know they can't afford to waste the money/time/effort on a 'dead' tablet, but I thought i'd write this for anyone who's in my position. Who got a PlayBook before the announcement and is not happy! Side loading is the way forward!
    10-06-13 03:43 PM
    I love mine too. I have some papers sitting on my desk that it's been holding down for a while now, I can open the window and damn if those papers don't stay put.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-06-13 03:52 PM
    I love mine too. I have some papers sitting on my desk that it's been holding down for a while now, I can open the window and damn if those papers don't stay put.
    Expensive paper weight!
    10-06-13 04:01 PM
    So I got my PlayBook literally about a week before they announced it wasn't getting BB10.

Anyway I've used it allot, As a music player, DVD Player, Bigger screen for browsing even when my Z10 is in my pocket & For games.

Then tonight I just spent about 2 hours downloading Android apps and converting them, I'm so surprised how many actually work, Easily have about 50 sideloads working on my PB now. I think its brillaint!

Yeah it can be slow at times, Goes insane every now and then, Appears to get drunk when I'm not looking then **** about for a few hours, but I love the little guy! My only problem is, that BlackBerry can't support it better! I'm not blaming them, I know they can't afford to waste the money/time/effort on a 'dead' tablet, but I thought i'd write this for anyone who's in my position. Who got a PlayBook before the announcement and is not happy! Side loading is the way forward!
    Enjoy your tablet. You see what many of us has been talking about. Sometimes the flashier bigger name tablets do overshadow the playbook just because of the name and popularity. How BB mishandled the playbook is another entire different subject.
    10-06-13 04:01 PM
    Great portable sound system as well!
    Beats (pun intended) some of the newer tablets on the market today.
    10-06-13 08:59 PM
    I understand what you mean OP about the BlackBerry PlayBook, I still use mine everyday.
    The upgraded Z10 bb bridge is breathing life back into my tablet. It has a better keyboard than my Nexus 7 ( 2013 ) tablet making it easier for me to make/ take my notes. And now that I can BBM from the PlayBook and use the bluetooth connection to the Internet... It still reigns as my great tablet.
    10-06-13 10:33 PM
    I love mine (on it right now) and I use it everyday. In a lot of ways I like the interface and swipe gesters better on here than on bb10. I love how you can swipe between open apps better than the active frames on bb10. Of course bridge is useful and I have a good selection of games I like to play on here too. Plus videos bought/rented from the video store look real nice. People on these tech sites bash it but I was looking to buying another one on Amazon and it got pretty favorable reviews (a few bad ones too)Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (64GB)
    10-06-13 11:04 PM
    Sadly I wish I could agree. Just sold it several hours ago. It had a very nice screen, and WAS overall a good tablet. What OS2 gave it took away, with email given and speed and responsiveness taken away. Browsing was amazing but as BlackBerrys last browsing update was a little less then a year ago, it went down hill. Still it actually loaded pages pretty good but the tablet was slow. Wifi reception was terrible after this last update which finally made me sell it. If I ever find my other one, I may or may not keep it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:24 PM
    i got a 16GB two years ago. the calendar is not working anymore....i damaged the usb charging port by forcing the micro hdmi on it, so it does not work anymore, but i charge it through the magnetic port now, so it's ok....i use it for presentations and browsing on the go with bridge. I am planning to buy a 64 GB from amazon for just $160. It is so cheap for what i use it for...I absolutely love it...even without BB10.
    milo53 likes this.
    10-07-13 04:11 PM
    Yup use mine all the time. I love the user interface, my wifi works 3 floors down so i don't know whats up with that other post probably a router issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 04:15 PM
    Great portable sound system as well!
    Beats (pun intended) some of the newer tablets on the market today.
    The playbook is the only tablet I have ever had, so I'm intersted in what the playbook does that others cannot do. Can you give me some examples?
    10-07-13 05:42 PM
    Love mine too and use it daily.
    10-07-13 05:51 PM
    The playbook is the only tablet I have ever had, so I'm intersted in what the playbook does that others cannot do. Can you give me some examples?
    Got an old 3G iPad, but its way too bulky to carry to work everyday. Got the 7" Playbook in 2011 that revolutionized for me swipes and gestures that I find myself doing to lesser tablets. Has a decent browser, camera/video, stereo sound but amazingly BB has slowly/ steadily supported the PB with updates even two-years later. Bridge with the Q10 is one of the big thing that lesser tablets don't have which is important for me.
    10-07-13 06:11 PM
    Mine is my daily driver as well. I just returned from a 2 week work trip and it was loyally by my side with my Z10 the whole time. From watching movies on flights to editing PowerPoint presentations and displaying them... This form factor and exceptional battery life I get make it worth using for me. Sure, the browser isn't the best (and yes, I also have Origami but it's taken to randomly crashing since the last update,) but it does all I need a tablet to do with a great display and decent speakers.
    10-07-13 06:23 PM
    I have a PlayBook and a Nexus 7(2013). I like the keyboard on the Playbook better. Transferring files to and from the Playbook is also much easier than with the Nexus. Bridge to Z10 is okay, but not as good as it was with the legacy BB OS's. PlayBook also has flash baked in, while with the Nexus there is no flash. You have to download an add-on and browser to use flash. In my opinion, the Playbook browser works better than any browser I have tried on the Nexus. The Nexus excels with regard to videos and has Netflix. Hope this helps.

castoridae likes this.
    10-07-13 06:33 PM
    Yes, but it could have been and still could be so much better with adequate support and some geeks to improve it.
    10-09-13 08:07 AM
    I still use mine and love the experience on it. How could one not, its a BB product. Sure it may not be BB10 running on it but it's a decent tablet that gets the job done.
    10-09-13 08:08 AM
    Very fair compirson BioDave.

My love for bb's is deep rooted in the forums, web browsing and multitasking capabilities.
    Every app runs sweet in the background (if you let them), and there's nothing it have a crack at either.
    Last edited by Fuzz360; 10-12-13 at 02:27 PM.
    10-12-13 02:13 PM
    I've just learned that running a micro hdmi cable off it to your tv, using the bluetooth remote control, and running programs like netflix off it make it a serious little box of fun!
    10-12-13 02:30 PM

Still love mine also. Not an app man and the bridge is nearly there if it supported text messages. I find on the app side I get by perfectly well getting using the mobile Web versions in the browser so don't really need that many. Curious where people download thier side loads from? Is there a way of not showing android images/icons in the pictures folder?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 02:46 PM
    Search for ".bar" files or ".apk files for blackberry", your browser will show you the way from there bud, and THIS VERY FORUM has a vast variety...... search as you will!

As for the icons, they all come up as normal on my Playbook, but on the PC I can't offer a solution, just take note of the file name before you ok the download.

Text messaging works on Bridge via my 9790, sorry to hear you're having problems
    10-12-13 03:24 PM
    Yeah mate I have done some sideloading previously, just wondering if there are any good sites that keep the most up to date working bars on particular you can recommend?

Regarding the icons, I mean when I sideload apps I get loads of images in my pictures folder on the PlayBook, anyway of getting rid of them?

Bridge text works on my 9800 also, hopefully it will come to bb10 soon?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 03:53 PM
    Regarding the icons, I mean when I sideload apps I get loads of images in my pictures folder on the PlayBook, anyway of getting rid of them?
    Yeah, just delete them in file manager. Or, locate one in file manager, and start the delete process (hit edit pencil in top right corner, then tap the trashcan in one of the offending pics). Don't delete the pic, rather, write down the name of the pic. Then close File Manager, and do a search on the pics name using another file browser with a search function- Ghost Commander, Files and Folders, ES File Explorer, etc. The search should tell you where the offending pic resides- navigate to this folder and delete all the pics in it. Repeat as necessary.
    AWB70 likes this.
    10-12-13 04:14 PM
    Thanks, I haven't did any sideloading since that last update. Did a fresh install and didn't bother with any sideloading mainly because of the images issue and not finding any decent links.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 04:26 PM
    Yeah mate I have done some sideloading previously, just wondering if there are any good sites that keep the most up to date working bars on particular you can recommend?

Bridge text works on my 9800 also, hopefully it will come to bb10 soon?

Posted via CB10
    I use,

'Goodereader' to download my side loads, Google it and take a look at the Playbook& BB10 apps section, The files have already been converted to .bar and 'most' tested to make sure they work.

Posted via CB10
    AWB70 likes this.
    10-12-13 06:24 PM
29 12